PDA

View Full Version : Tuning tools

JohnG
06-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Hello Everyone, I am a new member with a 2012 Ralliart. I was wondering if anyone had an idea about Cobb Accessport? Is this worth the cost to make my car run better? I love the car but feel the shifting could be a little better rpm range wise. Would appreciate some feedback on what members feel is a good option for me and my car! thanks,
sincerely,
John G.

BravoZero
06-29-2012, 02:33 PM
First off, welcome! Secondly, moved this to the Tuning and Tech section.

The Cobb is fine if you want to spend $500-600 on something that isn't as useful as a laptop with a Tactrix cable and proper software. I would advise looking into the GST basemaps for the Ralliart. You'll get the same power gains, if not better, than you would with the Cobb. Best of all, the basemaps are free (although a donation is encouraged to Razorlab, if you like). The thread to the basemaps are here:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/09-ralliart-engine-turbo-drivetrain/443880-2009-lancer-ralliart-gst-basemap.html

They are fully customizable, can be used with various mods depending on the basemap itself, and the best feature is enhanced SST "tweaking" to help reduce clutch slip, which means faster and sharper engagement of gears.

RalliNurse
06-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Hello Everyone, I am a new member with a 2012 Ralliart. I was wondering if anyone had an idea about Cobb Accessport? Is this worth the cost to make my car run better? I love the car but feel the shifting could be a little better rpm range wise. Would appreciate some feedback on what members feel is a good option for me and my car! thanks,
sincerely,
John G.
Damn BZ...ur too fast for me...
+1 on what BZ said...
If you search the forum...ppl 's opinion shows Cobb is USELESS...laptop,textrix cable evoscan w/GST basemap is way to go...:D

ChaseRalli
06-29-2012, 02:49 PM
I've always wondered, where exactly does the tactrix cable plug into?

BravoZero
06-29-2012, 03:14 PM
I've always wondered, where exactly does the tactrix cable plug into?

The Tactrix is essentially two pieces, a mini USB cable and a module that plugs into the OBDII port, that is if you're hooking it up to the laptop. Otherwise for standalone logging, you can use a microSD card with the proper layout file loaded to it, insert it into the Tactrix OpenPort module and plug it into your OBDII port. It will automatically log everything your car is doing according to the layout file.

KyleKitchen
06-29-2012, 04:08 PM
For any info on the Tactrix cable, I highly recommend you read everything posted on that link that BravoZero posted.
Bryan (the all mighty SST god) posted all the info you'll need for using the Tactrix cable with your car in that thread.

JohnG
06-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Thank you for putting my post in the proper arena, and I really appreciate the imput. Is the tracsis setup good for a stock vehicle or one that has been modded ? thanks for saving me money! JohnG

JohnG
06-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Could you please tell me where I could purchace the tractrix cable and any other items I will need to download these basemaps? thanks!
JohnG

BravoZero
06-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Just type in Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 in google and you'll find places where you can buy one. They go for about $200 or less.

JohnG
06-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks, appreciate the help!
JohnG

KyleKitchen
06-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Could you please tell me where I could purchace the tractrix cable and any other items I will need to download these basemaps? thanks!
JohnG

It looks like they don't have the GST basemap made for your car yet.
They should be updating everything soon.
So, I'd still buy everything so you're ready to go when they release new maps.

Required:

Tactrix Cable:
Tactrix Openport 2.0 (http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&product_id=17&Itemid=53&vmcchk=1&Itemid=53)

EcuFlash is the free program you use to flash(write) and read from your ECU:
EcuFlash (http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=36&Itemid=58)

Download the correct EcuFlash definition for your car here:
Definitions (http://goldenevo.com/)
Make sure you select the right market too.

Read everything on the first page here and download your basemap when its available:
GST Basemaps (http://forums.evolutionm.net/09-ralliart-engine-turbo-drivetrain/443880-2009-lancer-ralliart-gst-basemap.html)

Optional:

EvoScan is what you use to log your car, which is optional if you're planning on just using the GST basemaps and not changing anything beyond that:
EvoScan (http://www.evoscan.com/evoscan-gps-obdii-cables/details/4/1/performance-vehicle-pc-diagnostic-interfaces/mitsubishi/subaru/obdii/can-evoscan-software)

An OBDII extension, so you don't curb stomp your USB cable and break your OpenPort like I did........twice.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZN0JKG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000SBCHCA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0HX0DKY8F9MADY7CTZMF

tencents
06-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Don't forget a micro sd card for logging if u don't want to connect to a laptop

KyleKitchen
06-30-2012, 12:42 AM
Don't forget a micro sd card for logging if u don't want to connect to a laptop

This too.
But this is optional as well.

JohnG
06-30-2012, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the extra info Kyle
JohnG

Champion3
06-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Or you could just find a local tuner and have it professionally done for around 3-500

JohnG
06-30-2012, 03:47 PM
I have ordered the parts for now and would definitely consider a tuner because of my lack of computer knowledge but thanks to everyones' imput. I would definitely not buy the Cobb accessport. It is nice to have this forum to get everyones' experience. Thank you

KyleKitchen
06-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Or you could just find a local tuner and have it professionally done for around 3-500

Why would you pay $500 for a tune when you're still basically stock?
Not worth it, IMO.

I have ordered the parts for now and would definitely consider a tuner because of my lack of computer knowledge but thanks to everyones' imput. I would definitely not buy the Cobb accessport. It is nice to have this forum to get everyones' experience. Thank you

Good to hear!
It is definitely intimidating. But once you sit down to actaully do it, it's really easy, as long as you read the directions online.

JohnG
07-01-2012, 05:57 AM
Kyle, Are you talking about the Merlin instructions?

razorlab
07-01-2012, 10:40 AM
It looks like they don't have the GST basemap made for your car yet.
They should be updating everything soon.

You are correct. V3.0 which includes 2012 is coming very soon. Richard has been busting his ass on them...

:)

KyleKitchen
07-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Kyle, Are you talking about the Merlin instructions?

Negative.
Merlin's guide is for full on tuning.

You can use that guide but it's a lot more in depth than what you need.

Everything should be included on the GST basemap thread.

JohnG
07-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Good to know. Thank you!