PDA

View Full Version : cold air intake

JohnG
06-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Does anyone have an opinion about intakes? Should I stick with my stock intake or would a cold air intake add performance? Thanks, JohnG

Exyia
06-30-2012, 05:20 PM
http://forums.evolutionm.net/09-ralliart-engine-turbo-drivetrain/576910-info-modding-your-ra.html

JohnG
06-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the thread, it makes a lot of sense

BravoZero
06-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Best thing to do when in doubt is search, you'll more than likely find what you need.

RALM
07-02-2012, 10:17 AM
most peoplel I know with the RA's usually get drop in filters, I have seen others complain on various sites about how the CAI sucks up water and or how the rubber elbo has a tendency to expand and contract due to the boost level and heat. Since I did not want to suck up any water and I like to hear the intake grunt I purchased the tuned Injen short ram which stays relatively cool, sounds great and works well with my cobb tune and other mods.

zeRep85
07-02-2012, 01:01 PM
most peoplel I know with the RA's usually get drop in filters, I have seen others complain on various sites about how the CAI sucks up water and or how the rubber elbo has a tendency to expand and contract due to the boost level and heat. Since I did not want to suck up any water and I like to hear the intake grunt I purchased the tuned Injen short ram which stays relatively cool, sounds great and works well with my cobb tune and other mods.

tuned the sound? Like on the new beamers where they tune the exhaust note! Sick!

zeRep

RALM
07-03-2012, 10:40 AM
lol tru and some what like the bmw's. But i also read in a magazine that the bmw's also play the sound of the engine reving with a combination of the exhaust note through the speakers to enhance the driving experience.

09Ralliart412
07-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Im really bored at work today so i thought i would throw this professional opinion out there. I work with a guy who built race engines for NASCAR, LeMans, Road Course, and drag racing. He also traveled around the country tuning engines at tracks and dressing them. We both work for a NASCAR team at the moment. Here's his input on air intakes when I asked him and had him look at my Ralliart.

"Filter location, and intake location In comparison to engine compartment design is the deciding factor. On the Ralliart, the air enters through the turbo, on the back of the engine, where all the heat is. Keep in mind what the evolution thread said, the ralliart tuebo is small. Short rams: driving down the road, on the Ralliart they would THEORETICALLY pull in WARM air because the filter is towards the back corner of the engine and the air would flow through the hot radiator, over the hot engine, and to the filter. Also short ram does NOT DO ANYTHING to change the ram air effect that is engineered into the engine from the factory, that all has to do with intake runners and head ports. COOLER air=denser air=better volumetric efficiency= more oxygen=more torque which converts to power. So if you could run piping to the front of the car in the far corner in the bumper area, or in front of the radiatior, THEORETICALLY you would get cooler air (kinds hard to run piping there on the Ralliart. And like what was said before, more piping=more chances of couplings contracting, and more chance of the air to heat up as it flows Through the intake piping due to the fact that the piping is next to the engine. Remember: HEAT ALWAYS TRANSFERS FROM WARMER TO COOLER. Something he always believed in, which would look dumb on the Ralliart but I'm just throwing this idea out there, is cutting a hole in the fender, put some type of trim around it do t doesn't look like crap, and seal the filter housing against the fender so it HAS to pull air in from the exterior."

RALM
07-09-2012, 09:23 PM
great observation and makes alot of sense.

GAbOS
07-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Great info!

See that neato little hole on the front of the FQ bumper. Guess what that lines up with..

http://photocarsonline.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-x-fq-400-121.jpg

The 4B11T's OE filter piping is laid out pretty darn slick, I think. It's really the best package you can do without a full on fab to the front for real RamAir.

Wait! Why not just snorkel the thing through a hole in the hood. lol

TrailBrake
07-10-2012, 05:29 AM
Wait! Why not just snorkel the thing through a hole in the hood. lol

As discussed in other threads, an Evo FQ-400 style front bumper hole would be nice :D

Exyia
07-10-2012, 08:07 AM
Im really bored at work today so i thought i would throw this professional opinion out there. I work with a guy who built race engines for NASCAR, LeMans, Road Course, and drag racing. He also traveled around the country tuning engines at tracks and dressing them. We both work for a NASCAR team at the moment. Here's his input on air intakes when I asked him and had him look at my Ralliart.

"Filter location, and intake location In comparison to engine compartment design is the deciding factor. On the Ralliart, the air enters through the turbo, on the back of the engine, where all the heat is. Keep in mind what the evolution thread said, the ralliart tuebo is small. Short rams: driving down the road, on the Ralliart they would THEORETICALLY pull in WARM air because the filter is towards the back corner of the engine and the air would flow through the hot radiator, over the hot engine, and to the filter. Also short ram does NOT DO ANYTHING to change the ram air effect that is engineered into the engine from the factory, that all has to do with intake runners and head ports. COOLER air=denser air=better volumetric efficiency= more oxygen=more torque which converts to power. So if you could run piping to the front of the car in the far corner in the bumper area, or in front of the radiatior, THEORETICALLY you would get cooler air (kinds hard to run piping there on the Ralliart. And like what was said before, more piping=more chances of couplings contracting, and more chance of the air to heat up as it flows Through the intake piping due to the fact that the piping is next to the engine. Remember: HEAT ALWAYS TRANSFERS FROM WARMER TO COOLER. Something he always believed in, which would look dumb on the Ralliart but I'm just throwing this idea out there, is cutting a hole in the fender, put some type of trim around it do t doesn't look like crap, and seal the filter housing against the fender so it HAS to pull air in from the exterior."

pretty much saying, stock design is fine already

if someone simply wants an intake for their RA, go for it. but don't jump hoops trying to justify it's huge performance gains, because the stock turbo is still the biggest restriction - and the fact that upgrading to a TD05 frame is easier with a matching intake also stands for my argument that intakes are a waste of time and money

TxRalli09
08-24-2012, 06:26 AM
The aem hooks right into the stock ram air tunnel or whatever you call it. Sorry for my brilliant wording but its nice i love it. If you are looking. Also many drop ins are great like everyone else has mentioned

RALM
08-24-2012, 09:11 AM
very true i have the injen short ram and it works great you can feel a slight difference in power, plus it sounds great especially when the BOV cherps.

myred3kgt
11-21-2012, 05:19 PM
http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr22/myred3kgt/enginebay.jpg

HTIEK
11-21-2012, 06:27 PM
I have had this discussion with many people and tuners yes IAT make a difference especially in a turboed car where the INTERCOOLER is the reason your temps will stay low....

The main reason i went SRI is cause it sounds bad ass same as in my previous car.

Now im not sure where the computer reads for IAT for the RA but im assuming its right before the manifold to adjust fuel accordingly...So in my opinion buy a good intercooler(stock is crap) and who gives a shit what intake you run unless you plan on mudding your RA haha

Just my 2 cents

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/534535_10152269622315484_1435807412_n.jpg

RALM
11-22-2012, 10:16 PM
http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr22/myred3kgt/enginebay.jpg

hey how much did that intake cost and what type of small battery is that?

TrailBrake
11-23-2012, 05:58 AM

Turn the image 180 degrees and you can read the battery type ;)

myred3kgt
11-23-2012, 08:38 AM

It is a shuriken BT20 short gas battery so it can be mounted anyway but upside down.Amazon $85 shipped the terminals where seperate they were $20 shipped, I had to grind down the plastic on one side of the terminals so they would fit without the adapter plate. The cranking aps on that battery is over 800 but no cold cranking amps listed, it was 32 degrees out this morning and no issues, The intake is from Turbo XS it is $280 i picked it up so I dont know shipping. The intake apadpter pipe from XS is a little large so I used the factory tubing from the turbo and heated it up to fit the intake piping, it fits real snugg now so I dont think there will be any chance at leaking on that side. The turbo pulling the air through the intake is loud in the car under normal driving but it is shocking how quiet it is while under a load...

Hope this helps .
Travis

RALM
11-23-2012, 11:48 AM
It is a shuriken BT20 short gas battery so it can be mounted anyway but upside down.Amazon $85 shipped the terminals where seperate they were $20 shipped, I had to grind down the plastic on one side of the terminals so they would fit without the adapter plate. The cranking aps on that battery is over 800 but no cold cranking amps listed, it was 32 degrees out this morning and no issues, The intake is from Turbo XS it is $280 i picked it up so I dont know shipping. The intake apadpter pipe from XS is a little large so I used the factory tubing from the turbo and heated it up to fit the intake piping, it fits real snugg now so I dont think there will be any chance at leaking on that side. The turbo pulling the air through the intake is loud in the car under normal driving but it is shocking how quiet it is while under a load...

Hope this helps .
Travis
Thanks I am going to purchase battery next week, because the stock one is dieing. I really wanted a mini battery but read allot about people having major issuse with them so I just going to get a Red Top just to be safe.

bholm6
11-25-2012, 09:20 PM

I am actually shooting for something very similar to your set up. I currently have a URIC w/ pipes, HKS BOV, CAI and more on the way :D. I have a Cobb AP and I haven't been able to find any maps compatible with my mods. Are you using the beta maps by chance? I've been looking through the Cobb website and forum trying to get some other maps besides the base ones.

RALM
11-25-2012, 09:42 PM
I am actually shooting for something very similar to your set up. I currently have a URIC w/ pipes, HKS BOV, CAI and more on the way :D. I have a Cobb AP and I haven't been able to find any maps compatible with my mods. Are you using the beta maps by chance? I've been looking through the Cobb website and forum trying to get some other maps besides the base ones.

Tru thats cool and before I got my dyno turn I used the stage 2, 91 octane AEM tune which is for RA's with full exhaust, AEM intake or simular (i had all of my current power mods except bost pill). I did not use the 93 octane tune because the care felt like it was going to over boost. But with the dyno tune and the boost pill the car feels safe on 93 octain tune, boost pill at 23 psi of boost.

Amigero
01-23-2013, 10:00 PM
I was told by one of my teaches who used to work for Mitsubishi that cold air intakes don't make a difference in power gain because there is already cold air going in with the factory set up

RALM
01-24-2013, 02:08 AM
that has been proved to be pretty true on a few other threads.