PDA

View Full Version : Needing new tires for the Black Beast

TheBlackBeast
10-01-2009, 08:59 AM
So my stock tires are running out quickly. Yeah! Looking forward to getting some better rubber under my feet. I have a couple questions regarding the next step - tire selection.

I'm looking for a tire comparable to stock that not only lasts longer but sticks to the road better. I'm also looking for a low price on the tire. I've heard that the Nitto NT05, Falken Azenis and Yokohama Advans (amongst others) are great, but I have only experienced the last 2 I mentioned. What would be the top three recommendations (not necessarily the ones I mentioned) for this based on affordability, handling and price?

Can I fit a wider tire than stock on my stock wheels? Say a 235 instead of 215? What is the maximum width I can run?

I hope somebody can give some guidance on this!

MTZL
10-01-2009, 09:18 AM
I do know softer tires will offer more grip but with more grip will reduce life of the tires and reduce mileage.

Softer tires = more Grip = Shorter Tire Life = Less mpg
Harder tires = less grip = longer life = more mpg

I have no experience with Size of tires and compatibilities. Maybe someone else here can recommend width and size and Brand of tires

Try rotating your tires every oil change will prolong the life of your tires.
I get mine rotated every oil change.

9,000 miles and counting...

BFGoodrich for overall performance, idk they seems to be pushing their products well and marketing with WORKS. WORKS got that RA with BFGoodrich tires on it. Must be pretty good. IDK. Anybody else for BFGoodrich?

brads09lancerRA
10-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Car and driver did an article in the Aug 09 issue on the "best budget tires" Heres a summary of the top 3
#3 Kuhmo Ecsta XS - Great dry traction, one of the best they tried but as they say "nothing short of diabolical" in the rain
#2 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo - Well above average dry and wet performance and quietest ride."In the wet, the V12s were as sporty and connected as they come and the best braking"
#1 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec - They said "rewarding to drive hard", they have huge dry grip even before they warm up and were surprisingly good in the wet despite being a 'touch peaky". Only flaws they say are above average road noise and slighly rougher ride.

Personally, I'd go with the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 225/45R18, they are $120 cheaper on a set of 4 compared to the other 2 above. They are the best mix between dry, wet performance, road noise and ride quality. My wife has got 8 years(puts winters on for 3 months every year) out of her Ventus HRII on her Si and stills has another season left and loves the way the handle and the ride quality, so I assume these would hopefully be as nice as those Hankooks. These are the tries I'm getting when I get my new rims.

Here is the full article http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the _michelin_ps2-comparison_tests

MTZL
10-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks Brad for the info ^ very helpful.
I would go with Dunlop might as well put the best for my RA.
When my stock yoko tires are done, Dunlop will be my next tires hopefully by that time it'll be cheaper. :)

Any other opinions and info?

TheBlackBeast
10-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Try rotating your tires every oil change will prolong the life of your tires.
I get mine rotated every oil change.

9,000 miles and counting...

BFGoodrich for overall performance, idk they seems to be pushing their products well and marketing with WORKS. WORKS got that RA with BFGoodrich tires on it. Must be pretty good. IDK. Anybody else for BFGoodrich?Yeah, I kinda burned through my front right. Busy with moving it slipped my mind to rotate when changing the oil... I'll check out the WORKS project car to see what they are running.

I'm almost at 8k, I'm guessing I'll get to about 10-12k before having to get new tires put on. I personally can't justify super sticky tires as the majority of miles I put on are for work and it would be a terrible waste of good tire. For the really good tires I would rather have a second set of wheels for the track with nice tires...

Here is the full article http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the _michelin_ps2-comparison_testsSimply wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing that article - its exactly what I was looking for. Looks like Hankook might be in the running now.

Ladogaboy
10-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Blackbeast, you can run up to a 225/45R18 on the stock rims. There are a lot of good choices, but as some have already said: The stickier the tire, the shorter the tread life.

One tire you might want to consider is the Advan AD07. Since you're in SoCal, you don't have to worry about true winter-like conditions, so the AD07 could be a good year-around tire. Hankook basically stole the tread pattern for their RS2s, which I have driven, and the RS2s handle VERY well in the rain. I have to imagine the AD07s do as well. Plus, if you shop around, you might be able to find them for about $150 a tire. Tirerack has them for $139 on closeout right now: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+Neova+AD07&partnum=245WR8AD07&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

dmitchell
10-15-2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks Brad for the info ^ very helpful.
I would go with Dunlop might as well put the best for my RA.
When my stock yoko tires are done, Dunlop will be my next tires hopefully by that time it'll be cheaper. :)

Any other opinions and info?

The RA comes stock with Yokos? My RA here in Canada came stock with Dunlops.

MTZL
10-15-2009, 09:58 AM
^WTF? Dunlop? Yes, my RA came with Yoko.

Canada RA came with Dunlop tires?
Canada RA has sun roof too.

I asked about sun roof @ Concord Mitsu dealership & they told me sun roof is heavy and they cant install it for RA. Not an option for RA.

dmitchell
10-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Yup, mine has a sunroof too.

Are the Dunlops considered better than the Yoko, or just different?

MTZL
10-15-2009, 02:40 PM
If your Dunlop is Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec - yes performance wise

dmitchell
10-15-2009, 02:45 PM
OK, thanks for the reply. I'll have to get back to you - my wife is out with the car right now :-)

brads09lancerRA
10-15-2009, 11:25 PM
The Canadian RAs come with Dunlop SP Sport 5000M. They are a ultra high performance all-season, but I would put $$ on the table that they perform just as well in the snow as most summer tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Sport+5000+M&partnum=145VR85000M&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes

^WTF? Dunlop? Yes, my RA came with Yoko.

Canada RA came with Dunlop tires?
Canada RA has sun roof too.

I asked about sun roof @ Concord Mitsu dealership & they told me sun roof is heavy and they cant install it for RA. Not an option for RA.

The Canadian RAs also come stock with Recaros and HID projectors, even on the base model and we don't have the stupid chrome trim uder our windows:D. U guys in the US will be happy though, we don't get fast key on the base model:(

TheBlackBeast
10-20-2009, 03:57 PM
I knew this thread existed on socalevo but was having trouble finding it since I had collapsed that section of the forum for some time now. While its a bit old, it sheds light on a wide array of tire, mfg's, conditions and uses.

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=37&topic=22351.0

joselito329
10-21-2009, 10:20 AM
The Canadian RAs come with Dunlop SP Sport 5000M. They are a ultra high performance all-season, but I would put $$ on the table that they perform just as well in the snow as most summer tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Sport+5000+M&partnum=145VR85000M&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes

The Canadian RAs also come stock with Recaros and HID projectors, even on the base model and we don't have the stupid chrome trim uder our windows:D. U guys in the US will be happy though, we don't get fast key on the base model:(

Well here in Puerto Rico we have kinda mixed car we have sunroof but no the recaros, tires are yokos, HIDs and we dont have the chrome trim:confused:

Ladogaboy
10-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Well here in Puerto Rico we have kinda mixed car we have sunroof but no the recaros, tires are yokos, HIDs and we dont have the chrome trim:confused:

Nice, another Puerto Rican RA owner! Bienvenido!

As for Mitsu, no one seems to know what is going on in their heads. :rolleyes:

joselito329
10-22-2009, 07:21 AM
Nice, another Puerto Rican RA owner! Bienvenido!

As for Mitsu, no one seems to know what is going on in their heads. :rolleyes:

Gracias por tu hospitalidad my friend!!!!:)

TheBlackBeast
11-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Fnck tires are expensive! :mad:

I want a $50 a tire that out performs racing slicks and grips in snow like studded tires and stays glued in a huge downpour to sustain 100 mph speeds.

grrr...

There. rant over.

mitzi
12-04-2009, 08:20 PM
bought new goodyear GT's last oct.. same size, everything. noticed it to be more quiter and not as harsh as the stocks... i would say better grip on cornering.... although i did fishtailed a bit on 1 rainy day making a (quick) left turn (WOT on green :D) will try it for the first time on snow tonight on the way to work..

jamesanderson1
01-07-2010, 03:02 AM
You should search for the available brand for them for getting upgraded with them. Just go with the feedback and select for your car.

RalliUp
06-02-2010, 06:08 AM
Has anyone had problems with the 225/45 Series Tires. My ACD warning light wont go off, and Mitsu won't give me any answers. I asked about this but only got one response earlier. If I'm the only one what sugestions do you guys have?

Jdmboi
06-02-2010, 08:31 AM
did the ACD warning come on when you ran the 225/45 tires???

RalliUp
06-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Yeh. I does it everytime I turn the car on and drive for about 5 miles, and then it stays on the rest of the ride.

Jdmboi
06-02-2010, 08:42 AM
have you tired to put on the stock tires back on see if it will come off???....I want to run 245/40/18 on my car but idk now.....

Jdmboi
06-02-2010, 08:46 AM
I saw some post of some people run bigger tires they never said anything about this just that the have to roll there feneder but thats it....

MTZL
06-02-2010, 09:05 AM
I've driven in the snow once & warning came on because its very cold outside & roads are slippery. Never had that warning appear again I dont usually drive in the snow.
Any pics of the warning?

Jdmboi
06-02-2010, 09:10 AM
how big can you go with out rolling the fender?? 225 235 245??

RalliUp
06-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Check the profile pic. This is the warning I'm getting.

TheBlackBeast
06-02-2010, 10:21 AM
I dont know why you are getting a warning light. A picture would be great!

I'm running 225/40/18 not 45 height tires and no problems. Maybe that's the problem?

RalliUp
06-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Check my profile pic. Its the warning light I'm getting. Service required for chasis.

zeRep85
06-02-2010, 10:40 AM
I got the similar warning when putting my mini spare on. I have a 2010 RA.

Once i put the stock tire back on (patched the hole) the warning went away.

zeRep

TheBlackBeast
06-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Check my profile pic. Its the warning light I'm getting. Service required for chasis.

If you press and hold the INFO button for a few seconds, will the light go away?

RalliUp
06-02-2010, 11:15 AM
It goes away, but a question mark stays in the top right hand corner. The book says it's cutting off the ACD.

zeRep85
06-02-2010, 11:57 AM
My car showed the exact same picture but below it said "AWD System Service Required" or something like that...

zeRep

Jdmboi
06-02-2010, 12:19 PM
does anyone that has other tires size have the same thing??

TheBlackBeast
06-02-2010, 01:20 PM
It goes away,...
Problem solved!
:D

Just kidding... I would stop by your dealer and try to force an escalation to someone who can get an answer. If the service manager doesn't know, he has other resources in the company chain he can go to.

RalliUp
06-02-2010, 03:55 PM
The guy is a d-bag. He told me the book says not to do it, and the only way to fix it is to go back to the 215's.

TheBlackBeast
06-03-2010, 09:26 AM
The guy is a d-bag. He told me the book says not to do it, and the only way to fix it is to go back to the 215's.

You could try another dealer or circumvent the dealer and complain:
http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/contact.do

rdv1212
06-13-2010, 09:30 AM
I am running the hankooks and love them. the Advans wore out around 15k!!!!!

MTZL
10-21-2010, 01:15 AM

Did you put the tpms (tire pressure monitoring sensor) in the new wheel?
How many miles & when was the last time you service Tranny Fluid? Transfer Fluid? Differential Fluid?

MTZL
10-21-2010, 01:20 AM
how big can you go with out rolling the fender?? 225 235 245??

Roll the rear fenders.