PDA

View Full Version : possible SST fluid alternative, more research

veuve
08-09-2012, 12:57 AM
Hi all, I am new here.

I have been reading about different SST fluids here and other evo forums.

A few of you seem to be running Pentosin fluid with great results. The stuff is at almost $20 right now.

It doesnt seem that we have many choices here in the States, as far as sst fluid goes.

The bot-341/ Transmax dual and other approved fluids are for European market only.

I happened to talked to a friend the other day and he metioned that all these European oils are readily available in Asian market.

For example, Transmax dual is about $10/bottle

My ultimate goal is to find a fluid that is the same in color as the Diaqueen fluid and hopefully cheaper

Simply because Im such a wuss when it comes to a delicate transmission and warranty.

It appears VW DSG fluid might fit the bill. Correct me if I'm wrong. Same color as Diaqueen and potentially cheaper.

I havn't seen much proof of the Ford/Volvo stuff and search of the part number online didn't return many useful results. I believe there is a oil made by motorcraft (a Ford brand?) thats for there dual clutch box? Can't find it on their website anymore. I'm gonna pay my local ford/Volvo dealership a visit to see if I can find out more about the stuff.

Here is something I came across online. Appears to be the very Ford fluid for double clutch box.

http://blog.yimg.com/2/LD0ZKyJ7s59zCcHfhZ2M_Whi0S5JXGzBIsFJFPP89666bhmAxH HAXA--/70/l/ak7tY2IMu5cTGEljuOOW9w.jpg

http://blog.yimg.com/2/LD0ZKyJ7s59zCcHfhZ2M_Whi0S5JXGzBIsFJFPP89666bhmAxH HAXA--/72/l/lcK66DWMikT7IFlIJqIlUQ.jpg

This might be it. Made by BP! has the WSS spec thats been floating around the net.

And the filter

Doesn't seem to be a common item, has Ford of Europe sticker on it.

The same part number but different size that people have been talking about?

http://blog.yimg.com/2/LD0ZKyJ7s59zCcHfhZ2M_Whi0S5JXGzBIsFJFPP89666bhmAxH HAXA--/76/l/yyF46puwiS.r0c1Rxor8rQ.jpg

All these were taken in Taiwan and the service was done on a Ford focus with double clutch box. BTW the filter about $50 and is made by the same company that supplies sst filter?

I just want to contribute to this topic and maybe help to reduce the cost of maintaining our SSTs. Let me know what you think :D

veuve
08-09-2012, 01:15 AM
upon further reading, yes it is green.

http://blog.yimg.com/2/LD0ZKyJ7s59zCcHfhZ2M_Whi0S5JXGzBIsFJFPP89666bhmAxH HAXA--/93/l/RYbq.gdtumGHxtLybsLIAg.jpg

But Ford factory fill is golden? or did the greeness went away?

http://blog.yimg.com/2/LD0ZKyJ7s59zCcHfhZ2M_Whi0S5JXGzBIsFJFPP89666bhmAxH HAXA--/86/l/VHrpLJ.liX_ygrc1t.Jc6g.jpg

crak
08-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Interesting. If we can use transmax, and its European only. I thinking shipping costs would eat us alive.

MTZL
08-09-2012, 09:38 AM
DiaQueen SSTF1 is also green in color just like the pic above.
When it drains out it is gold in color just like the pic above.

veuve
08-09-2012, 11:04 AM
thanks for the input guys. looks like its just a matter of sourcing the ford fluid cheap here

veuve
08-09-2012, 11:08 AM
DiaQueen SSTF1 is also green in color just like the pic above.
When it drains out it is gold in color just like the pic above.

Noted :):):)

veuve
08-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Interesting. If we can use transmax, and its European only. I thinking shipping costs would eat us alive.

There is another thread on another forum that has a pic of mitsubishi part number on a bottle of BOT 341 in the dealership and it is repackaged transmax dual

crak
08-09-2012, 04:43 PM
There is another thread on another forum that has a pic of mitsubishi part number on a bottle of BOT 341 in the dealership and it is repackaged transmax dual

So pretty much traxnsmax = diaqueen. Just different labelling and price.

veuve
08-09-2012, 05:11 PM
So pretty much traxnsmax = diaqueen. Just different labelling and price.

It is at least compatible from what Ive seen. I'm more interested in the ford stuff tho. Because you are more likely to find the stuff cheaper then to source some European oil. But again all is possible with the right quantity.

NFSLancerRA
08-09-2012, 08:04 PM
I am going to say this one more time. Audi/VW DSG fluid ihas hundreds of thousands of miles on it in the TC-SST. I can buy it locally for $17/L. You can screw around with foreign fluids all you want. It literally gets no easier than to go down to your local VW dealer and ask for the fluid. Use it. Love it. Beat off with it. Do what you do. I cannot believe that years later this debate/discussion still rages on.

NFSLancerRA
08-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Also, the Ford fluid is the same as the Mazda SkyActive fluid for the CX5. Given the failure rate of that transmission, I am not sure that I would attempt to use that fluid. It is probably FFL-1 (same as DiaQueen). If not, at best, it is FFL-2.

veuve
08-09-2012, 10:50 PM
I am going to say this one more time. Audi/VW DSG fluid ihas hundreds of thousands of miles on it in the TC-SST. I can buy it locally for $17/L. You can screw around with foreign fluids all you want. It literally gets no easier than to go down to your local VW dealer and ask for the fluid. Use it. Love it. Beat off with it. Do what you do. I cannot believe that years later this debate/discussion still rages on.

No need to be like that. Just trying to share what I found. This thing is still new to me as I just got the car. If you dont like to read about it, Dont.

NFSLancerRA
08-10-2012, 06:03 AM
No need to be like that. Just trying to share what I found. This thing is still new to me as I just got the car. If you dont like to read about it, Dont.

I have been through hundreds of pages of material on this subject. I am not being like anything. The GT-R guys are who originally posted the information on this fluid. Collectively, we have all been through many, many different permutations of this issue. DSG fluid was discovered to be the best solution. When Nissan runs out of GT-R fluid (which has happened overseas), they order DSG fluid.

If you want to pursue the Ford fluid, Mazda likely orders it in greater quantities. I suspect that it is merely FFL-1, though. Why would you want to void your warranty for fluid that is clearly not an upgrade?

Drew
08-10-2012, 06:35 AM
Excuse the ignorance, and inability to muster the desire to search for my answer, but what color is the VW DSG fluid? Unless it comes out a drastically different color than the diaqueen, I don't know how a mitsu tech would notice the difference.

TrailBrake
08-10-2012, 06:48 AM
Excuse the ignorance, and inability to muster the desire to search for my answer, but what color is the VW DSG fluid? Unless it comes out a drastically different color than the diaqueen, I don't know how a mitsu tech would notice the difference.

Hopefully finding a similarly-coloured alternative works for you and the dealer doesn't go any further than that.

If the tranny was replaced under warranty in my area, I wouldn't put it past the anal Mitsu reps to go as far as a fluid analysis :(

wemay
08-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Pentosin FFL-2, FFL-3, DSG, have all been known to work great by various members. I use Pentosin FFL-2, love it. Welcome to the site. :)

NFSLancerRA
08-10-2012, 10:48 AM

DSG fluid is gold in color (hint hint). Even with a chemical analysis, which they aren't about to fork over the cash for, most of it is just particulate analysis (looking for metal shavings in the fluid and dust particles). If this fluid damages the transmission (which is what they care about), then you would need to worry. I would argue that the transmission actually runs a lot cleaner with the DSG fluid (which negates anything that could be discovered in a standard analysis). You SHOULD be fine (again, I make no promises). DPK and BMW DCT fluids are both slightly different in color. The BMW fluid is red, IIRC (not to be confused with Toyota ATF, which is also red).

NFSLancerRA
08-10-2012, 10:51 AM
If the tranny was replaced under warranty in my area, I wouldn't put it past the anal Mitsu reps to go as far as a fluid analysis :(

It shouldn't matter.

TrailBrake
08-11-2012, 04:45 AM
It shouldn't matter.

I agree, it shouldn't. Maybe I'm being too paranoid.

kris
08-11-2012, 06:57 AM
The ford filter is the same as the mitsubishi filter, same part numbers.

veuve
08-11-2012, 11:56 AM
The ford filter is the same as the mitsubishi filter, same part numbers.

Hi Kris, I haven't got to the bottom of this but have seen a thread stating that the filters have same part number but different in size? Have you confirmed the fitment? If its true then getting it from ford dealers/sites might be some saving.