PDA

View Full Version : Hi From Canada

dmitchell
10-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Hey there, I just picked up my Tarmac Black 2009 Ralliart a week and a half ago here in Ottawa (Canada's capital). So far the guys on the forum here have been great.

Looking forward to seeing how my RA handles in the snow. Two winters ago we got 12 FEET. Should be interesting...

TheBlackBeast
10-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Hey! Welcome aboard! I'm curious to know how the car handles too. Did you get it with the stock yokohamas or did you opt for winter tires?

MTZL
10-15-2009, 10:05 AM
12 feet of snow?!!? lol you need to mod your ra with tank tracks.

If you can dig your way in to your RA with 12ft of snow.
wow thats crazy.

dmitchell
10-15-2009, 02:31 PM
No kidding man. Snow tires are definitely in order. I'm sure the AWD will help alot too.

My RA came stock with Dunlops. From what I've been reading, they usually come stock with Yokos? Maybe it's different up here in Canada.

Not only do we get lots of snow, it gets damned cold here. I can go down to -35.

Brrrrrrrr.

brads09lancerRA
10-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Welcome to the site. Great to see another member from Canuckistan. I'm from Summerland, BC

GET WINTER TIRES WHILE U CAN. Seriously, the stock Dunlops are horrible in the snow. The 1st day it snowed last winter (snowed hard and fast) was the most scared I've been driving a car. I couldn't stop from 5km/h with these tires and it was like driving in a jiz-zag cause the damn thing would pull anywhere it wanted. I had to go out and buy winters the next day. Luckily there was 1 set of 16's left in the next closest town or I would have been screwed (Damn Quebec and making it illegal to drive without winters;))

dmitchell
10-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Yikes. Yeah, I'm thinking these Dunlops are gonna be crap in the snow. Snow tires for me ASAP.

MTZL
10-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Any Pics of the Dunlop Threads?

and Pics of the sun roof (inside and outside) and buttons?

Yeah I went to Reno when I got my RA, My RA has Yoko tires and I found new respect for the snow driving through 6-8 inches of snow.
I got to the check point and I told them my RA is AWD and passed.
They told me 20mph is the max speed limit in that snow.
After about half a miles of doing 20mph,
I started doing about 35-40mph and I was coming to the left bend and I hit the brake slowly and increasing the pressure on the brake but the car was still going with the momentum. I tought I was gonna hit the mountain side but little bit of e-brake and steer left and counter steering got me through it.:eek:
I drove 15-20mph the rest of the way.:o
I was driving through about 6-8 inches of snow.
My windshield and my hood where windshield wipers are, were cover with snow. It was fun but not cool especially with other cars on the road, I saw so many accidents to & from there. That day I found new respect for the snow.

dmitchell
10-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Yup, driving in the snow is a whole different game. You get used to it pretty fast. Another issue up here is that sometimes it gets so cold, the rubber on the tires freeze solid and lose all grip.

No pics of the tires or sunroof (yet). I'll try to get around to taking some for you.

Cheers.

Ladogaboy
10-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Welcome! And yes, get some winter tires! I'd recommend getting a second set of rims (wider and lighter) for summer tires and keep your stockers for winter. 215 is wide enough for a good snow tire, and I'm sure the extra weight will do you some good. :D

dmitchell
10-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Good advice. Thanks.

Any particular winter tire you guys recommend?

MTZL
10-17-2009, 10:45 AM
I dont know but Im looking around, I let you know.
Are you looking for budget, mid, hi performance, or stud snow tires?

brads09lancerRA
10-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Honestly get a cheap set of 16" alloys or steels and 205/60R16. Way cheaper and it is much better then running winters on the stock 18"s. Bigger side walls are much better in winter conditions. It doesn't look as good but who really cares about how their wheels look in the winter. I went with Continental ContiWinterContact. Great tire and works awesome in the snow and ice. My dealer had them on a container blow out sale for $98 each(hella cheap up here for 16" tires) and got steels for $35 each. I had Blizzaks on my Si before and I would say that the Contis perform just as well in the snow and ice for half the price.

Ladogaboy
10-17-2009, 12:18 PM
You could get the steel rims too, though I'd avoid getting anything smaller than 17s (you might want to do a brake upgrade at some point). If I were you, I'd just check which is cheaper: getting winter tires that fit your stock rims, or getting a second set of beater rims with winter tires.

Either way, I would ditch the stockers for summer and get lighter, wider rims.

dmitchell
10-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Good advice from everyone. Thanks guys.