PDA

View Full Version : Is this illegal? (North America Driving)

crak
08-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Question: if an intersection has a yield/merge turning area. Is it illegal to go past the yield and right turn just before the lights? I am thinking it would not be since you technically are "Right turning on a red" which is legal when safe to do so.

ie. avoid traffic backups from he yield and just turn right at the intersection avoiding the yield lane.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2yl4fbl.png

MTZL
08-22-2012, 09:02 AM
No, that is illegal. I see many people do this. Be careful & drive safely.
You must be in the turning lane 200 ft before the turn & That why they painted solid lines.
Some people dont know the rules & some people think they can do whatever they want without any consideration to other.

crak
08-22-2012, 09:06 AM
That's the thing though, there are no solid lines.

Also the yellow lines are white indicating 2 lane traffic (cant put white on white).

I am just saying though, if the yield was not there, you would have to turn right at the lights, but since the yield lane is there, you must take the yield lane to turn right?

MTZL
08-22-2012, 09:13 AM
If the light is red for you going straight or turning, you must yield for on coming traffic either on-coming straight traffic (from your left) or on-coming opposite turning traffic.

The driver thats in the first lane merge to second lane to turn at the last sec.
while not in the turning lane is wrong/at fault if there was an accident.

kissmeblind
08-22-2012, 11:28 AM
There should be a sign at the light that says No Right Turn; because you're supposed to go to the yield to make that right turn. How much traffic would you be cutting anyway..? Its not worth the risk dude. If you want to avoid traffic, take another route. Or don't drive lol :P

crak
08-22-2012, 02:49 PM
rush hour has bottle necks everywhere. lol