PDA

View Full Version : Letting car idle before shut down!?!?

BALANCE
10-15-2009, 04:25 PM
I have heard from different sources that turbo vehicles (cars,planes,tractor trailers) should let there turbo's idle for at least 1 min before shutting them down to help on the life of the turbo. TRUE?or False? Any one know for sure on this?

MTZL
10-15-2009, 08:10 PM
True but Dont know about shut down on RA but during start up
RA turbo need to wait for Thermostat guage to appear on dash.

Ladogaboy
10-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Well, I would say that it is true to a certain extent. It only takes a few seconds for the oil to completely circulate the engine... and maybe a bit longer to make it fully into the turbo. Think about it this way: How often do you go from starting your car to WOT in under 30 seconds? The car can fully warm up while you are driving; there is no need to let the car idle for more than a couple of minutes.

MTZL
10-16-2009, 10:15 AM
^ Thats true. Im thinking about getting a Turbo timer and remote start. I'll keep yal in the loop.

Ladogaboy
10-16-2009, 01:09 PM
A turbo timer is something that I, personally, would wait on. It is not absolutely essential for our cars (otherwise, they would have come with one) because our turbos are cooled with both oil and coolant. I'm not say not to buy one, but I think there are better/higher-priority modifications that can be done to our cars.

MTZL
10-16-2009, 01:59 PM
I think there are better/higher-priority modifications that can be done to our cars.

Evo X Turbo? maybe? lol

BALANCE
10-17-2009, 07:13 AM
How are the R/A turbos cooled with coolant? I know there are oil lines that run in the center housing. But where is the coolant running to and from? I always let my car war up before i take off, but I am talking about shutting the motor down letting the turbo/motor sit at idle for a moment.

MTZL
10-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Thats what I used to do. Let it sit for a song before shut off. Not in the owner manuals so I just shut my car off now once I stop.

If you really want to be proactive listen to the engine it will turn the fan off depends on the weather once the engine sounds like it did after warming up you can shut the car off.

You definitely got to warm it up before take off is in the owner manual.
It states to wait for thermostat guage to start appearing on your HUD.

pressing "info" several times til thermostat display on your HUD.

Ladogaboy
10-17-2009, 11:36 AM
How are the R/A turbos cooled with coolant? I know there are oil lines that run in the center housing. But where is the coolant running to and from? I always let my car war up before i take off, but I am talking about shutting the motor down letting the turbo/motor sit at idle for a moment.

There are coolant lines that feed into the turbo as well.

I'm not sure if you want to get into the theoretical, but because of water's thermodynamic properties, it will continue to cool the turbo even without the help of a running engine. This is all due to the way it condenses and evaporates, as opposed to oil, which will just drain out of the turbo and let it cook.

BALANCE
10-17-2009, 02:40 PM
So does the coolant run threw the center housing? I dont think there is any place else for it to circulate?