PDA

View Full Version : Modifying The Turbo Inlet Pipe

RALM
08-29-2012, 09:33 AM
has anyone modified the plastic pipe thats in between the air intake and turbo inlet housing? Im sure the guys who are running the factory air box with drop in filters have not so its not for those who have drop in race filters. But for those who have either short ram or cold air intakes. The reason being is because I think their is power their to be gained since that rubber pipe has rinkles in it and bends that are not smooth.. Give me your input thanks.

zeRep85
08-29-2012, 11:29 AM
has anyone modified the plastic pipe thats in between the air intake and turbo inlet housing? Im sure the guys who are running the factory air box with drop in filters have not so its not for those who have drop in race filters. But for those who have either short ram or cold air intakes. The reason being is because I think their is power their to be gained since that rubber pipe has rinkles in it and bends that are not smooth.. Give me your input thanks.

OMG! With that logic imma replace EVERY rubber piece with a TITANIUM one!

Mind = Blown

Exyia
08-29-2012, 01:23 PM
what kind of intake are you buying that doesn't replace this piece already?

seriously wtf is inbetween the air intake and the turbo inlet? i'm confused :confused:

RALM
08-29-2012, 02:17 PM
The Injen short ram dose not conect directly to the turbo, It connects to a the rubber pipe that goes into the the turbos inlet i will probly have to take a pic

Drew
08-29-2012, 03:59 PM
So let me get this straight. You are thinking that you will gain power by changing a pipe that already has roughly twice the flow capacity of the stock, model airplane sized turbocharger with a smoother one?

:confused:

That's like putting a garage door on a closet.

zeRep85
08-29-2012, 05:49 PM
So let me get this straight. You are thinking that you will gain power by changing a pipe that already has roughly twice the flow capacity of the stock, model airplane sized turbocharger with a smoother one?

:confused:

That's like putting a garage door on a closet.

Lmao! if you read his previous posts you will realize he might already have a garage door on his closets, bedrooms, bathrooms and pantry

Exyia
08-29-2012, 06:27 PM
The Injen short ram dose not conect directly to the turbo, It connects to a the rubber pipe that goes into the the turbos inlet i will probly have to take a pic

sounds like your real problem is a worthless intake

RALM
08-29-2012, 08:50 PM
lol you guys are too funny. Im guessing that none of you guyes are runing an aftermarket intake.:)

MikeW-RRE
08-30-2012, 01:23 AM
The closet door:
http://roadraceengineering.com/ralliart/tech/stockturbo/turboinlet.jpg

http://roadraceengineering.com/ralliart/tech/stockturbo/dixiecup.jpg

http://roadraceengineering.com/ralliart/tech/stockturbo/cupinside.jpg

As long as the turbo inlet is double the size of a small Dixie cup you are good to go.

Mike W

sparkfndr
08-30-2012, 05:03 AM
I was on the cobb site i think he is talking about something like this.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Silicone-Turbo-Inlet-for-Mitsubishi-Evo-X-p/752001.htm

they talked about this over on evolutionm also

http://forums.evolutionm.net/09-ralliart-engine-turbo-drivetrain/591011-turbo-inlet-ralliart.html

Drew
08-30-2012, 05:12 AM
lol you guys are too funny. Im guessing that none of you guyes are runing an aftermarket intake.:)

I remember seeing your posts before about the 75mm TB and the 4.5" core monster intercooler and the list goes on and on. If you are guessing that none of us "guyes" have intakes on a stock turbo RA, maybe because it has been proven to net next to ZERO gains on a stock turbo tuned RA. Not bashing you at all, but all I hear when you talk is "Type R Mugen JDM B20 vtec boosted meth water injection "stage 4" clutch, "stage 3" cams, "stage 2" tune, "stage 1" LIFTOFF Yo!!!!" I HAVE to ask WHY on God's green Earth are you spending so much money on mods that will net you nothing on the stock turbo, instead of picking up an evo x turbo swap? For the price you paid for that gargantuan intercooler that, for any turbo your car will ever run, doesn't do any better of a job than one half its size, you could have gotten an X intercooler and full turbo setup, and have significantly more hp than you do right now. Look at the pics Mike posted. You see the cup fitting in the turbo? You see how big that thumb is compared to the cup? Think about that, then tell me you are worried about some ribs in the stock intake tube...........

Drew
08-30-2012, 05:15 AM
I was on the cobb site i think he is talking about something like this.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Silicone-Turbo-Inlet-for-Mitsubishi-Evo-X-p/752001.htm

That is spot on.........for an Evo X turbo. Putting that on the RA turbo is the proverbial lipstick on a gorilla.

TrailBrake
08-30-2012, 06:04 AM
RALM (http://www.clubralliart.com/member.php?u=2550) , it may seem like you are being given a hard time, but it is all good advice.

Especially in this economy, it is important to spend your money wisely.

crak
08-30-2012, 06:46 AM
my 2 cents: the turbo inlet looks like a human heart artery. Maybe its supposed to relate to as "the heart of the car"

RALM
08-30-2012, 07:51 AM
thank you, finally someone who understands. Its a turbo inlet pipe and ok Im guessing noone makes it so I will either make one out of alloy piping or keep searching.

zeRep85
08-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Im guessing noone makes it so I will either make one out of alloy piping or keep searching.

HAHAHA!

zeRep

MTZL
08-30-2012, 10:57 AM
The piece in reference, I believe nomenclature (belief is for the church)
is inlet elbow.

Drew
08-30-2012, 01:13 PM
You don't have to make one. You can find a piping elbow that will give you exactly what you want. Here's one.

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00AeoaCksqpbcd/Large-Bore-Elbow.jpg

Just kidding :D

RALM
08-30-2012, 01:37 PM
I remember seeing your posts before about the 75mm TB and the 4.5" core monster intercooler and the list goes on and on. If you are guessing that none of us "guyes" have intakes on a stock turbo RA, maybe because it has been proven to net next to ZERO gains on a stock turbo tuned RA. Not bashing you at all, but all I hear when you talk is "Type R Mugen JDM B20 vtec boosted meth water injection "stage 4" clutch, "stage 3" cams, "stage 2" tune, "stage 1" LIFTOFF Yo!!!!" I HAVE to ask WHY on God's green Earth are you spending so much money on mods that will net you nothing on the stock turbo, instead of picking up an evo x turbo swap? For the price you paid for that gargantuan intercooler that, for any turbo your car will ever run, doesn't do any better of a job than one half its size, you could have gotten an X intercooler and full turbo setup, and have significantly more hp than you do right now. Look at the pics Mike posted. You see the cup fitting in the turbo? You see how big that thumb is compared to the cup? Think about that, then tell me you are worried about some ribs in the stock intake tube...........
Lol and thanks for your advice and inpute im not sure why you have compared me to the civic boys but it is what it is, my intercooler works great im getting the throttlebody an everything else on my list eventually. And yes once the cars warrenty is out of scoope the evo x turbo swap of some sort will be completed. I actaually enjoy your comments because it shows me that some of you guys go based soly on what you hear or read from our pears but i dont mind going around the trite form of group think. But seriously thanks
p.s. dont be surprised if you see and integra ITB set up on my wip lol:)

RALM
08-30-2012, 01:38 PM
You don't have to make one. You can find a piping elbow that will give you exactly what you want. Here's one.

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00AeoaCksqpbcd/Large-Bore-Elbow.jpg

Just kidding :D

lol that thing can support up to 500k hp to the wheels

zeRep85
08-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Lol and thanks for your advice and inpute im not sure why you have compared me to the civic boys but it is what it is, my intercooler works great im getting the throttlebody an everything else on my list eventually. And yes once the cars warrenty is out of scoope the evo x turbo swap of some sort will be completed. I actaually enjoy your comments because it shows me that some of you guys go based soly on what you hear or read from our pears but i dont mind going around the trite form of group think. But seriously thanks
p.s. dont be surprised if you see and integra ITB set up on my wip lol:)

May I ask what you do for a living?

zeRep

Drew
08-30-2012, 03:17 PM
I actaually enjoy your comments because it shows me that some of you guys go based soly on what you hear or read from our pears

Got me. Sorry I have been listening to my pears :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL80m2yvwrY

MikeW-RRE
08-30-2012, 08:14 PM
The turbo inlet part of the turbo on a RalliArt stock turbo is totally different from that of the EVO X turbo. Different diameter, different angle. All different. What ever you plan on making for the RalliArt turbo now, will not fit on an EVO X style turbo later.

The peoples here are wondering why bother to make a part that will make no significant difference for the effort now. Especially if you will be swapping the turbo later and have the part that you made that didnt really do anything now really really not do anything then since it will no longer fit...

Mike W

RALM
08-31-2012, 09:01 AM
May I ask what you do for a living?

zeRep

You can ask but sadly I cant tell you very much. Im a DOJ Contractor and thats all I can say please dont ask what I do agian, no offense.

RALM
08-31-2012, 09:03 AM
Got me. Sorry I have been listening to my pears :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL80m2yvwrY

lol its not your fault. Ok so maybe it is just a little bit.

RALM
08-31-2012, 09:09 AM
The turbo inlet part of the turbo on a RalliArt stock turbo is totally different from that of the EVO X turbo. Different diameter, different angle. All different. What ever you plan on making for the RalliArt turbo now, will not fit on an EVO X style turbo later.

The peoples here are wondering why bother to make a part that will make no significant difference for the effort now. Especially if you will be swapping the turbo later and have the part that you made that didnt really do anything now really really not do anything then since it will no longer fit...

Mike W

I stand corrected, and that was a great insite. But I know you did not forget that piping can be modified. But just incase anyone did lets say I did decide to modify the inlet pipe on my RA turbo and i purchase the x turbo or better the piped I purchasse can be modidfied with a nuckle or so and bam its done so whats the big deal?

zeRep85
08-31-2012, 09:44 AM
I stand corrected, and that was a great insite. But I know you did not forget that piping can be modified. But just incase anyone did lets say I did decide to modify the inlet pipe on my RA turbo and i purchase the x turbo or better the piped I purchasse can be modidfied with a nuckle or so and bam its done so whats the big deal?

You answered your own question.

Great.

Now please admins close the thread :|

RALM
08-31-2012, 10:02 AM
I agree, its solved I have asked, searched and gainded what i needed thanks to you all so lock it up and toss the key.

Drew
08-31-2012, 10:47 AM
I agree, its solved I have asked, searched and gainded what i needed thanks to you all so lock it up and toss the key.

Yes, you have been told MANY times that this will provide ZERO benefit, even though you think we are a bunch of sheeple following what we have heard on forums. It is simple physics. The RA turbocharger is a door at the end of a hallway. You are trying to widen your hallway, completely ignorant to the fact that you still can't fit anymore people through the door. In any event, it is your RalliArt type R, so let us know how it turns out.

Exyia
08-31-2012, 11:26 AM
but really, going back

why would you buy an intake that doesn't replace the turbo inlet piping?

you have the intake filter, the intake tubing, then the tubing ends at the turbo

wtf kind of ripoff is an intake that only does 1 or 1.5 of the above?

AlphaKennyBody
08-31-2012, 12:05 PM
I just find it funny people like to spend money on modifying the car to where it gains Nothing. The OP has been told that there will be no Gains at all let alone making a knuckle to desrupt air flow... That means less power.

I haven't slept yet and it's 12 Noon lol.... So hopefully that made some sort of sense.

The Stock RA runs out of breath so it's RETARDED to try to Squeeze out more power out of something that can't produce power beyond it's basic mods.... hell my yard mans air blower can blow more air than the Stock RA turbo.

RALM
08-31-2012, 02:26 PM
Yes, you have been told MANY times that this will provide ZERO benefit, even though you think we are a bunch of sheeple following what we have heard on forums. It is simple physics. The RA turbocharger is a door at the end of a hallway. You are trying to widen your hallway, completely ignorant to the fact that you still can't fit anymore people through the door. In any event, it is your RalliArt type R, so let us know how it turns out.

lol that was a great analogy. And dont forget its a Ralliart SI Type R.

RALM
08-31-2012, 02:28 PM
but really, going back

why would you buy an intake that doesn't replace the turbo inlet piping?

you have the intake filter, the intake tubing, then the tubing ends at the turbo

wtf kind of ripoff is an intake that only does 1 or 1.5 of the above?

very true and i thought the same things but thats the way injen makes them so o well I will have to make due.

RALM
08-31-2012, 02:30 PM
I just find it funny people like to spend money on modifying the car to where it gains Nothing. The OP has been told that there will be no Gains at all let alone making a knuckle to desrupt air flow... That means less power.

I haven't slept yet and it's 12 Noon lol.... So hopefully that made some sort of sense.

The Stock RA runs out of breath so it's RETARDED to try to Squeeze out more power out of something that can't produce power beyond it's basic mods.... hell my yard mans air blower can blow more air than the Stock RA turbo.

send me that blower I will attached it to my car an have a twin turbo piggy back set up.

zeRep85
09-01-2012, 09:20 AM
RALM you should change "Injen short ram" to "Injen filter on stock pipe" under Current Mod(s)

Dont want people following your build to be confused.

zeRep

RALM
09-01-2012, 09:46 AM
True but I have something better and I doubt anyone is following my build.