PDA

View Full Version : Borla Exhaust Questions

Napius
08-30-2012, 07:45 AM
This is mostly a repost from EvoM, but I need to order this by tomorrow if I want the best price, so I'd like any input I can get.

I have read the other topics on the Borla CBE, so I have a lot of information already, but I still have a couple of specific questions, so please don't just tell me to use the search :P. As far as exhaust, I'm only planning to do a cat-back.

First, just how loud is the Borla? The problem is that "loud" is very subjective, so I've seen people say it's ear-shattering, and I've seen people say it's not too loud at all. Is there anything you could compare it to? Or perhaps say that you can hear the car coming from 1/2 mile away or something? dB levels would be ideal since I found the legal limits in PA, but I doubt anyone has those. I'm definitely looking for louder than stock or else I wouldn't even be looking at new exhausts, but at the same time, I don't want it to be SO loud that it's a huge cop-magnet, and I just look like an a-hole. I like how the stock exhaust sounds, but I find myself disappointed with it at times, and sometimes I let the RPMs go a little higher just so I can hear it at all. YouTube clips only tell so much, but that's how I've come to what I think is the decision to get the Borla. I want the deepest sound possible and pretty loud without being obnoxious. Is it possible to keep it relatively quiet with minimal throttle for driving around a development in the middle of the night?

Second, how is the drone, in all ranges? Highway cruising, cruising around in 5th gear between 40-50mph, etc? Can the drone be masked easily by music? Or will the loudness of the exhaust ruin a lot of my music? This is my DD, and I have a 50 mile round-trip commute to work, about 75% highway between 60-80mph.

Third, are you guys noticing any gains on the butt dyno? And does that count for low-end torque/throttle response as well? From what I've read, going with a larger diameter exhaust hurts low-end torque in a N/A car, but that's not the case with a turbo, right? I won't lose power anywhere at all? I can only gain or stay where I'm at, correct?

Thank you!

xwxspawnxwx
08-30-2012, 08:22 AM
I posted the video up for you on evom. After reading your reply it looks like you have the same exact drive like me. I'm about 20-25 min, pretty much all highway.

As I stated it's loud enough where you would enjoy it but it's not crazy loud, where it's annoying. As I said it does get a bit louder on highway speed but you get use it (You will still be able to listen to music without problem :) ). Best way to describe it from what people said: "it has a nice deep tone and gives it almost a V8 like sound to it". I have got tons of compliments on how it sounds and as I said before I am more than happy with my decision.

BravoZero on here gave me the extra push to go ahead and buy it when I was deciding and he was right. Every single time I start the car up it never gets old.

Napius
08-30-2012, 08:40 AM
I posted the video up for you on evom. * After reading your reply it looks like you have the same exact drive like me. *I'm about 20-25 min, pretty much all highway.*

As I stated it's loud enough where you would enjoy it but it's not crazy loud, where it's annoying. *As I said it does get a bit louder on highway speed but you get use it (You will still be able to listen to music without problem :) ). *Best way to describe it from what people said: "it has a nice deep tone and gives it almost a V8 like sound to it". *I have got tons of compliments on how it sounds and as I said before I am more than happy with my decision. *

BravoZero on here gave me the extra push to go ahead and buy it when I was deciding and he was right. *Every single time I start the car up it never gets old.
Yeah, I responded late last night over there saying thanks. I figured it wouldn't hurt to post on here too for any info I can get. Thanks for the additional info! You've been a big help.

I noticed from the other threads that BravoZero (I always want to say BraveZero) had one that he seemed to love, but then his sig said he had the UR. I think I read that he got a HFC, and it was too loud.