PDA

View Full Version : Please Stop Me

Ladogaboy
10-16-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm about to do something very stupid: I'm considering buying a used EVO X turbo.

I know that I won't have the parts and money to complete the swap for at least 4-6 months, so the turbo would just be sitting on my desk until then. Ugh... I'm feeling the bug.

MTZL
10-16-2009, 01:51 PM
I got the same bug but too late I did it.
Didnt really think about it at all.
I dont have the money to get IC yet or cost for install and misc cost.
How much for EVO X turbo? and just turbo?
Im not here to stop you tho.
Im actually encouraging you! lol

I wonder if Mike with RRE can do twin turbo, RA turbo to EVO X Turbo? nvm thats too extreme for DD. lol BUGS they're all over me!!!!!

TheBlackBeast
10-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Stop you? I'm the wrong person to of seen this question! That's the next thing I'm aiming for power wise, unless RRE finds a more suitable turbo than a X... that fits well... that doesn't destroy the tranny...

Ladogaboy
10-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Looks like the going price right now is < $400 for just the turbo. Numbers wise, the entire swap looks to cost between $1,000-$1,500 including tuning. If you pay someone to install everything, it will probably be around $2,000 including labor. Right now, I don't think there is a better turbo available for the RA. Every other turbo seems to have both positives and negatives; the X turbo doesn't seem to have any downsides in comparison to our stock turbo. Also, I'm curious... don't know if this would work, but I think that a RA with a true EVO X swap (only stealth aftermarket mods) would pass a visual smog inspection and possibly the actual emissions check. :cool:

Just a basic rundown of the big ticket items and approximate costs (I estimated a bit on the expensive side):

EVO X Turbo: $400
EVO X Exhaust manifold: $250
EVO X FMIC: $250

The total is $900 for the big items... probably $200 for the other stuff like hoses, gaskets, etc. I have a much more exhaustive list, some of the stuff is unnecessary, but it would make it look almost completely stealth. I would probably just load the EVO X basemap once the parts are installed, and then run to get a custom tune *cough* Mike *cough*.

TheBlackBeast
10-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Well, looks like I've already got a $250 start on that... :rolleyes:

$400 for turbo + 250 for EM + $450 for tune = $1100.
Let's see... how long would that take eating top ramen...

MTZL
10-16-2009, 04:36 PM
I paid 600 for EVO X Turbo w/ wastegate, Injectors, Fuel Rail, Fuel Pump, and some piping I got to figure out which pipes I am missing.
I didnt get EVO X Intercooler EVO X owner already sold it :(
(AMS FMIC is too expensive)
I might a EVO X Bov from original EVO X or other brand from courtesy of Botasai NCE & EE member, IDK.

Still looking for IC.

MTZL
10-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Let's see... how long would that take eating top ramen...

It took me four months to save 600. Bills, Bills, & More Bills. Eight more months of top ramen oughta get me my IC. :(

Ladogaboy
10-16-2009, 04:44 PM
I paid 600 for EVO X Turbo w/ wastegate, Injectors, Fuel Rail, Fuel Pump, and some piping I got to figure out which pipes I am missing.
I didnt get EVO X Intercooler EVO X owner already sold it :(
(AMS FMIC is too expensive)
I might a EVO X Bov from original EVO X or other brand from courtesy of Botasai NCE & EE member, IDK.

Still looking for IC.

You shouldn't need the injectors, fuel rail or fuel pump since they are the same in both the EVO and Ralliart. Maybe you could sell those off for the price it would cost you for an IC?

Oh, and I do have a more exhaustive list, but I have to wait until I get home to post it.

AVENGER
10-16-2009, 08:25 PM
GODDAMN IT!! My wife says "no" to everything....:mad::mad::mad::(

MikeW-RRE
10-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Well that is what you get for asking :-P Forgiveness is ALWAYS easier than permission.

EVO X turbo is the best turbo to max out the fuel system, tranny, suspension, tires, brakes, cooling system... for your car. That will knock over plenty of dominoes for you as it is with out getting something bigger. Use the X turbo till you cant get any more power out of your car and your tranny is still all in one piece, then think about a bigger turbo than a stock X turbo.

Mike W

MTZL
10-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Well that is what you get for asking :-P Forgiveness is ALWAYS easier than permission.

lol. rofl. :D Good advise. Thats what I did. She just found out I bought the EVO X Turbo. Its my money if I want to eat top ramen its my choice. :o :)

MTZL
10-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Hey Mike RRE, How much would you charge for install and tune? if all the parts were supplied?

MikeW-RRE
10-17-2009, 12:05 AM
It is about $600 labor to swap a X turbo. It is pretty akward working back on the back side of the motor.

A retune would be maybe $300 depending on how it behaves.

Mike W

Ladogaboy
10-17-2009, 02:50 AM
Mike, what do you think about using an EVO X map as a base to start tuning from? In other words, if I were to do the wrench work, install all of the components, and then load a stock EVO X map, would I be able to limp my way to Sante Fe? ... Springs that is. :p

TheBlackBeast
10-17-2009, 07:30 PM
GODDAMN IT!! My wife says "no" to everything....
Shouldn't of asked...

Mike WEXACTLY! :D

bmanuhutu
10-18-2009, 11:36 PM
damnit, im getting the itch as well after reading this thread....thanks alot guys. more money in the hole YAY

MTZL
10-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Looks like the going price right now is < $400 for just the turbo. Numbers wise, the entire swap looks to cost between $1,000-$1,500 including tuning. If you pay someone to install everything, it will probably be around $2,000 including labor. Right now, I don't think there is a better turbo available for the RA. Every other turbo seems to have both positives and negatives; the X turbo doesn't seem to have any downsides in comparison to our stock turbo. Also, I'm curious... don't know if this would work, but I think that a RA with a true EVO X swap (only stealth aftermarket mods) would pass a visual smog inspection and possibly the actual emissions check. :cool:

Just a basic rundown of the big ticket items and approximate costs (I estimated a bit on the expensive side):

EVO X Turbo: $400
EVO X Exhaust manifold: $250

The total is $900 for the big items... probably $200 for the other stuff like hoses, gaskets, etc. I have a much more exhaustive list, some of the stuff is unnecessary, but it would make it look almost completely stealth. I would probably just load the EVO X basemap once the parts are installed, and then run to get a custom tune *cough* Mike *cough*.

Can you get me one??

MTZL
10-19-2009, 10:17 AM
You think I need EVO X EM (Exhaust Manifold)?
Cant we use the stock one from RA?

Ladogaboy
10-19-2009, 11:27 AM
You think I need EVO X EM (Exhaust Manifold)?
Cant we use the stock one from RA?

The Ralliart uses a single-scroll turbo. The EVO X uses a twin-scroll turbo. The stock Ralliart exhaust manifold will not match up with the EVO X turbo, so yes, you either need the stock EVO X exhaust manifold or an aftermarket/custom exhaust manifold.

Unfortunately, the exhaust manifold is probably the hardest of the "big" parts to get a hold of because the stock manifold is pretty darn good, and a vast majority of the turbos that an EVO owner would upgrade to mate with the stock EVO exhaust manifold.

MTZL
10-19-2009, 11:40 AM
The Ralliart uses a single-scroll turbo. The EVO X uses a twin-scroll turbo. The stock Ralliart exhaust manifold will not match up with the EVO X turbo, so yes, you either need the stock EVO X exhaust manifold or an aftermarket/custom exhaust manifold.

Unfortunately, the exhaust manifold is probably the hardest of the "big" parts to get a hold of because the stock manifold is pretty darn good, and a vast majority of the turbos that an EVO owner would upgrade to mate with the stock EVO exhaust manifold.

Yeah, so are the FMIC, they're hard to get a hold of.
I dont think I can get one anytime soon.

Better to save up for AMS EVO X FMIC?

I cant find EM either. :confused::(

Ladogaboy
10-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Yeah, so are the FMIC, they're hard to get a hold of.
I dont think I can get one anytime soon.

Better to save up for AMS EVO X FMIC?

I cant find EM either. :confused::(

Hmm, I'm suprised that you are having a hard time finding the EVO X stock FMIC. My guess is that since it is such an easy upgrade for RA owners, many people are snatching them up. They went from being about $150 with stock piping to about $300 with stock piping once the EVO owners caught on. I don't think a used stock IC with or without piping is worth $300; I'm guessing those prices are going to drop.

I would say that you would probably have the most luck posting up a WTB thread in some of the EVO forums. If I were serious about spending the money right now, that's what I would do. As it stands, I need to save for a trip to Thailand in December. :(

MTZL
10-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Stil cant find Exhaust Manifold...
Im just gonna go with AMS FMIC.

Any help find on parts would be appreciated.
TIA

-Mike

Ladogaboy
10-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Stil cant find Exhaust Manifold...
Im just gonna go with AMS FMIC.

Any help find on parts would be appreciated.
TIA

-Mike

The easiest thing to do is to check on some of the EVO X forums. I'll have to do a bit of digging, but there are also some parts pages where you can purchase OEM Mitsubishi parts, but you will be spending at least 40% more than you would for used.

Here you go: OEMMitsubishiParts.com

EricJ@AMS
10-25-2009, 09:44 AM
I think we may have an exhaust manifold for sale unless we already sold it. Check our website, it will be in the used parts section.

MTZL
10-26-2009, 11:39 AM
I didnt see it on the web used parts. Do you have it still and how much shipped to zip code 95050?

MTZL
11-02-2009, 01:18 PM
The easiest thing to do is to check on some of the EVO X forums. I'll have to do a bit of digging, but there are also some parts pages where you can purchase OEM Mitsubishi parts, but you will be spending at least 40% more than you would for used.

Here you go: OEMMitsubishiParts.com

Hows your project coming along?
Do you have all the parts yet?
Maybe you can help me put up another thread for EVO X Turbo swap with Part list.

Thanks
-Mike

jondaspr
11-02-2009, 02:14 PM
I don't plan on doing anything too soon, but I'm torn between maxing out the stock turbo or doing the Evo X turbo swap. Buying used parts, the swap isn't that expensive and it will be easy to make over 300 hp (though you still have to worry about torque limits).

I'm coming from a 2005 Nissan 350Z, where to make over 300whp, I would have had to go from NA to FI, which equals $$! With the Ralliart, it seems I still can't hit the 300 mark without the swap, but it will cost a fraction of what it would have before. It's not the reason I traded in my Z, but it is a benefit.

In my experience, the hardest thing to find will be the exhaust manifold. I've seen most of the other required items around, but the exhaust mani is elusive...

wutangmo15
11-03-2009, 09:59 AM
MTZL, if you're going to do any work yourself, let me know if you need help.

MTZL
11-03-2009, 10:19 AM
^Thanks man, Im still getting/looking for all the parts. Once I have all the parts maybe take pics and post a thread for RA Turbo to EVO Turbo Swap for the Club.
I may need help than. Much appreciated.:cool:

-Mike

MTZL
11-13-2009, 01:10 PM
I think I need EVOX Turbo Inlet & Outlet pipes. Does anybody know?

CarGuy
11-16-2009, 01:51 PM
^Thanks man, Im still getting/looking for all the parts. Once I have all the parts maybe take pics and post a thread for RA Turbo to EVO Turbo Swap for the Club.
I may need help than. Much appreciated.:cool:

-Mike

Do it! Post up a thread since so many members are thinking of the same upgrades a How-to would be awesome!

Ladogaboy
11-16-2009, 03:14 PM
I think I need EVOX Turbo Inlet & Outlet pipes. Does anybody know?

You will need those if they didn't come with the turbo.

MTZL
11-18-2009, 11:22 AM
^Hows yours project coming along? Maybe we can compare part list, I just want to make sure I got all the parts before I do the swap. Still need Inlet & Outlet Pipes. :confused::)

Here is what I got so far...
Evo X Turbo
Evo X Wastegate
Evo X Exhaust Manifold
Evo X o2 Housing
Evo X FMIC
Evo X FMIC lower pipes
Evo IX Metal BOV

Need...
Evo X Turbo Inlet Pipe
Evo X Turbo Outlet Pipe
& ??

Am I missing anything else?

TheBlackBeast
11-18-2009, 01:30 PM
What about coolant & oil lines with connectors?

MTZL
11-19-2009, 12:13 PM
What about coolant & oil lines with connectors?

Any recommendation on brands & spec? I might as well do SS lines. idk.:confused:
Upper IC Pipe? why are they so expensive for just a aluminum tube???:confused:

TheBlackBeast
11-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Any recommendation on brands & spec? I might as well do SS lines. idk.:confused:
Upper IC Pipe? why are they so expensive for just a aluminum tube???:confused:
I was thinking more along the lines of whether or not the fittings are the same from RA to Evo turbo. Also, are the lengths for the RA turbo lines appropriate for the evo turbo.

I really don't have the answers, just thinking out loud...

Brands? Well, the one time I did a turbo upgrade for a past eclipse I had, RRE supplied all needed connector lines and fittings. I don't recall a brand name being listed on the products. Generic!

MTZL
11-19-2009, 03:28 PM
I just found out outlet pipe is the same as RA, I can use the same outlet pipe from RA on X Turbo.
Are you still planning Evo X Turbo swap Ladogaboy?

MTZL
11-19-2009, 03:35 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of whether or not the fittings are the same from RA to Evo turbo. Also, are the lengths for the RA turbo lines appropriate for the evo turbo.

I really don't have the answers, just thinking out loud...

Brands? Well, the one time I did a turbo upgrade for a past eclipse I had, RRE supplied all needed connector lines and fittings. I don't recall a brand name being listed on the products. Generic!

lol. no worries. I was thinking Im goin to put some shiny SS lines for durability paint them black for stealth. Black Upper IC... maybe call RRE for connector lines & fittings. Thanks bro.

Ladogaboy
11-19-2009, 03:41 PM
I just found out outlet pipe is the same as RA, I can use the same outlet pipe from RA on X Turbo.

I think it is only the inlet pipes that are different.

I'm holding off right now. I need to be a good boy. :( I'm going to start piecemeal anyway... maybe the FMIC with I/C piping. Basically, only those things that will work with the swap.

EricJ@AMS
11-19-2009, 10:32 PM

1515A165 outlet pipe for Ralliart.
1515A150 outlet pipe for Evo X.

MTZL
11-20-2009, 11:01 AM
1515A165 outlet pipe for Ralliart.
1515A150 outlet pipe for Evo X.

But on this thread

http://forums.evolutionm.net/09-ralliart-engine-turbo-drivetrain/439990-t1r-ic-pipe-set-ralliart.html

maybe just smaller funnel? same diameter...

RGRalliart
12-02-2009, 06:32 PM
What kind of gains can I expect from a stock Evo X turbo/intercooler upgrade?
Intake and turbo back exhaust everything else left stock.

MTZL
12-03-2009, 12:14 PM
What kind of gains can I expect from a stock Evo X turbo/intercooler upgrade?
Intake and turbo back exhaust everything else left stock.

Approx. 280whp to 300+whp with a tune. Upgrade fuel to double pump & bigger injectors & 350+whp use E85 & 400+whp. Upgrade to Bigger Turbo ETS 700+whp. Yeah your budget its the limit. Pass 300+whp & tq TC-SST will need upgrade. Cooler + 700+hp Performance Clutches. etc etc.

RGRalliart
12-03-2009, 06:32 PM
280-300 is fine with me. I made the 'mod the car to death' mistake with my Camaro and I do not want to go down that road again. :rolleyes:

MTZL
12-03-2009, 06:45 PM
lol I did the same thing to my 2000 Civic HX Coupe put K20 and 10k later.
No power steering, No A/C, No Radio, No Stereo or Speakers.
Not a fun car. PITA. Wish I never did and saved that 10k which I could really use... Oh well you live & learn.

Attached is my Civic when its was runnin (yes its a auto) 110mph in 3rd Gear, lol. I used to surprise alot of cars, Including Porches..