PDA

View Full Version : Hood scoop and turbo shell?

BALANCE
10-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Well here is another good question I noticed the the scoop is necked down to let air come in toward the left side only. Would it be beneficial to open it up more? I also noticed I cant see my turbo it is wrapped in a huge ball of foil and it seems to look like there are a few holes that line up to the ones in the scoop. Would it also be beneficial to remove the foil? Looks like more air would travel down the scoop and blow all around the turbo instead of threw little holes that some what line up. Maybe the stock set up works better not sure. Maybe the foil keeps the engine bay from getting to hot from the turbo. And the scoop stock set up doesn't let water in and just rust your turbo wright out from under the hood. Would love to hear some answers from a reliable source not I just wanted to be able to see my turbo. NOT that there is any thing wrong with that.;) I just want what is best for the cooling of the turbo with out any side affects.! This is my DD but still going to do mild mods.

TheBlackBeast
10-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Funny you should ask..

I just took a pair of tin snips to the sheet metal plate that is attached to the underside of the hood. I only cut open the sheet big enough to let the air go straight from the vent into the engine bay. I left enough material to cover the underside of the plastic scoop. Check out my DIY thread on a cooling system upgrade...
http://www.clubralliart.com/showthread.php?t=313

Leave the turbo heat shielding in place!

BALANCE
10-18-2009, 01:39 PM
UUUUUUgghhh I just want to rip that damn thing completely off the hood scoop going in and i am going remove the two small ones now. Anyone else pulled these yet. I will leave the turbo cover in place.

TheBlackBeast
10-18-2009, 02:30 PM
I know what you mean. It does get really hot under there though and I didn't want the plastic melting from direct heat off the exhaust/engine compartment. Some flat black engine paint would fix it rather quickly though if it looks that bad to you... ;)