PDA

View Full Version : ams or aem

Rfiluta
09-18-2012, 12:24 PM
i was wondering if anyone on here is running an AEM or AMS intake on there RA, i recently found a shop near me that has an AWD dyno and does tuning on RA and evo's so now i can fially start modding my car more. has anyone had any good or bad experiences with these intakes, also does nayone have the AMS small battery kit and if so how does that perform. im in upstate ny so need to know how it does on cold winter days.

Don@SCMitsu
09-18-2012, 01:11 PM
I have the AEM, I love it. Looks great in the car!! No problems with it at all.

Rfiluta
09-18-2012, 01:17 PM
now when you tuned the car for the aem intake, did you use the one mike from gst provided or did you have it tuned somewhere?

Rfiluta
09-18-2012, 01:18 PM
also with the AEM intake did you have to make any modifications to the batter location or was everything direct fit? any photos?

BravoZero
09-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Any intake other than the factory assembly with an aftermarket filter is going to require a tune, period. This has been covered countless times on this forum and others. Please search next time before posting a new thread on a topic that has been addressed multiple times.

Rfiluta
09-18-2012, 02:39 PM
yes i know this which is why my original post said that i was now looking because i found a local shop that does dynotuning on awd verhicles, my question was about if battery relocation was needed with the AEM like it is with the AMS or if it was a direct fit, not if tune was needed

Rfiluta
09-18-2012, 02:40 PM
was also talking about the free gst tune that was posted on here for the boostpill, aem intake and exhaust, wondering if he used that map or had it done at a shop

sparkfndr
09-18-2012, 02:41 PM
what he asked was did the person use the gst tune or did he have to go somewhere because the gst tune did not work

crak
09-18-2012, 02:42 PM
go aem:_ its goes good with a GST flash

Rfiluta
09-18-2012, 02:44 PM
ok now with the AEM intake is battery relocation or small battery kit needed or is it just a direct fit, also have you used the GST flash with the AEM

sparkfndr
09-18-2012, 02:49 PM
on their site it shows you keep your normal battery and stock intake scoop.

crak
09-18-2012, 06:44 PM
your battery stays right where it is. The only thing that is removed is 2 rubber hoses that connect to your turbo inlet and your drop in air box. AEM intake has a wicked install guide. Pretty much, all you do it buy it and you are good to go.

Rfiluta
09-18-2012, 06:54 PM
yeah i went through the guide and ir looks like it would be a pain in the ass to install but maybe thats just on paper

TxRalli09
09-18-2012, 07:10 PM
its not so bad i installed mine. Just some tight spaces. Overall not so bad though an hour or two and you are good. And aem claims no tune read the site it will give you more info.

Rfiluta
09-18-2012, 07:23 PM
now did you tune yours after install or no? i may just use the gst tune for intake and exhaust if i get a tactrix by then

AlphaKennyBody
09-18-2012, 09:48 PM
This is directly from Mike@RRE

"AMS has the filter too close to the MAF for my taste. Depending on how the filter is installed and how deep the bead on the pipe is, it can really jack with the readings. Cold air pickups that are down in the fender well pick up too much junk

Injen has a mostly stock sized MAF part but it has a hard step that causes turbulence right before it. Also Injen is world famous for small beads and short couplings.

AEM is good for maxing out a stock turbo with all the trimmings. Is stealthy, CARB legal, real cold air pick up. But is overkill with no cams and no full exhaust and and no FMIC. They start getting restrictive on upgraded turbos.

For a basic setup car, a drop in filter is best and will take you up to 350 whp just fine. $43 for a Cosworth panel filter. I'd stay away from oiled filters. Pretty much by the time you really need an intake, you can benefit from something extra large and custom made for your setup specifically.

You can do an intake or an exhaust with no tune. But with both you absolutely need a tune. A cat back exhaust and a drop in filter is fine with no tune.

Your tuner will hopefully be a guy that tunes several EVO Xs a week. He will have seen them all in combinations with everything. Ask him what is best for your setup and stick with his advice. Or ask the peanut gallery. " - Mike W

Rfiluta
09-18-2012, 10:00 PM
interesting i actually never so this post and i have searched on here a few times, i was leaning towards AEM anyway, as of right now i do have a full exhaust and am looking at going with evoX intercooler set up

AlphaKennyBody
09-18-2012, 10:48 PM
interesting i actually never so this post and i have searched on here a few times, i was leaning towards AEM anyway, as of right now i do have a full exhaust and am looking at going with evoX intercooler set up

Save the money and just get a drop-in.... I might have my X intercooler for Sale soon.....

Honestly the gains form the AEM vs the Drop in isn't Crazy... and that post was made in SCE.

Rfiluta
09-18-2012, 11:19 PM
when you do put the x intercooler up for sale what are you thinkin for a price?

AlphaKennyBody
09-18-2012, 11:35 PM
when you do put the x intercooler up for sale what are you thinkin for a price?

Not Sure.... Send me a PM on an Offer and I'll let you know =)

Sinestra
09-19-2012, 06:46 AM
This is directly from Mike@RRE

"AMS has the filter too close to the MAF for my taste. Depending on how the filter is installed and how deep the bead on the pipe is, it can really jack with the readings. Cold air pickups that are down in the fender well pick up too much junk

Injen has a mostly stock sized MAF part but it has a hard step that causes turbulence right before it. Also Injen is world famous for small beads and short couplings.

AEM is good for maxing out a stock turbo with all the trimmings. Is stealthy, CARB legal, real cold air pick up. But is overkill with no cams and no full exhaust and and no FMIC. They start getting restrictive on upgraded turbos.

For a basic setup car, a drop in filter is best and will take you up to 350 whp just fine. $43 for a Cosworth panel filter. I'd stay away from oiled filters. Pretty much by the time you really need an intake, you can benefit from something extra large and custom made for your setup specifically.

You can do an intake or an exhaust with no tune. But with both you absolutely need a tune. A cat back exhaust and a drop in filter is fine with no tune.

Your tuner will hopefully be a guy that tunes several EVO Xs a week. He will have seen them all in combinations with everything. Ask him what is best for your setup and stick with his advice. Or ask the peanut gallery. " - Mike W

Read this the first week i got my RA and why i went with the Cosworth drop in. However i will admit having an intake cleans up the engine bay a bit i hate clutter. I still might get one when its time for me to be tuned.

Good luck mate

RALM
09-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Any intake other than the factory assembly with an aftermarket filter is going to require a tune, period. This has been covered countless times on this forum and others. Please search next time before posting a new thread on a topic that has been addressed multiple times.

all except the injen short ram or cai because they are tuned for the car.

Rfiluta
09-19-2012, 09:18 AM
yeah in my opinion it a cai cleans everything up nice and just looks and sounds a little bit better and its bot like its really an expensive mod at all, other than the tune but thanks to gst even that is free so i dont see why not

RALM
09-19-2012, 09:34 AM
yeah in my opinion it a cai cleans everything up nice and just looks and sounds a little bit better and its bot like its really an expensive mod at all, other than the tune but thanks to gst even that is free so i dont see why not

Well I have the short ram and it works and sounds great, I even used the Cobb Access Port stage 2 tune for an AEM intake and TBE for a while and never got any codes. So even tho the GST basemap tune is for an aem intake or others it will should still work with an Injen intake since they are tuned for the car.

zeRep85
09-19-2012, 09:35 AM

Explain how Injen knows what mods are on the car and how it has been tuned to the car?

zeRep

zeRep85
09-19-2012, 09:38 AM

Huh? A cold air intake blocks the SST cooler...and now why would you go and
do that?

zeRep

RALM
09-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Explain how Injen knows what mods are on the car and how it has been tuned to the car?

zeRep

I never said they did, but the intake is tuned so that it will not bring about any codes, thats all it does plus provide a few penny's of power. and im not sure why anyone would want to block the sst would you I have a short ram lol

Rfiluta
09-19-2012, 09:50 AM
well the AEM isnt the kind of CAI that goes into the bumper, its "built" into a box, where the stock airbox was originally not down into the bumper like previous CAIs

Rfiluta
09-19-2012, 09:53 AM
so in reality it still does take the air from outside the car and away from the enging bay and the "box" its in is supposed to help block the heat from getting into the intake and i believe it also changes the inlet pipe to the turbo for a lil less restrictive flow

AlphaKennyBody
09-19-2012, 12:31 PM
RALM....

with the mods in your sig.... lol sadly you made 4hp and 3tq more than my ralliart did with just an evo x inter cooler, evo 9 bov, buschur cat back.... stock dp and stock cat with a.boost pill running a GST boost pill base map..... stock intake and stock filter. And this.is on RRE's dyno.

My advice to RA guys is to buy parts that your car needs... not what you want cause your wasting money on parts that don't matter just like subui guys trying to make power to beat evos..

Markspd6
09-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Mike at RRE is not the only tuner who recs just the Cosworth panel filter, one of my friends at church's tuning said the same thing to me years ago, when he got his X...

And no one ever seems to point this out, but the OEM airbox is a cold air intake, and it has the best position for getting air, better than the wheel well. Better than a box placed inside the engine.. If you want cooler air? I'd suggest isolating the stock box a bit with some reflective foil or wrapping it... I'd prefer a modified version of our stock setup over a ram air kit anyday...

zeRep85
09-19-2012, 01:40 PM
RALM....

with the mods in your sig.... lol sadly you made 4hp and 3tq more than my ralliart did with just an evo x inter cooler, evo 9 bov, buschur cat back.... stock dp and stock cat with a.boost pill running a GST boost pill base map..... stock intake and stock filter. And this.is on RRE's dyno.

My advice to RA guys is to buy parts that your car needs... not what you want cause your wasting money on parts that don't matter just like subui guys trying to make power to beat evos..

Ralphy! This mofo doesn't listen! You either ignore his post or play along hahaha

zeRep

BravoZero
09-19-2012, 02:08 PM

Oh really now? Do provide us with your findings on this, I'd love to see it.

Just an FYI, you don't "tune" products for the cars, you tune the car for the products. If you have no idea what you're talking about, please refrain from posting.

Ralphy! This mofo doesn't listen! You either ignore his post or play along hahaha

zeRep

This whole thread is one big cluster-eff and it's about to get shut down due to the lack of knowledge, and people being too thick in the head to understand. Also, if this thread veers off topic, it will be shut down immediately. Fair warning.

RALM, you have people here that KNOW what they're doing and what they're talking about. Take their advice, or go post your lack of knowledge elsewhere.

Rfiluta
09-19-2012, 03:20 PM
ok well i originally posted this thread to get input from members on whether they were using either intake and how well they worked with a peoper tune, that is all. also was wondering if anyone has used the GST tune that is made for the AEM intake,exhaust and.pill. i had a drop in filter already and want to change it up, thats all

RALM
09-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Oh really now? Do provide us with your findings on this, I'd love to see it.

Just an FYI, you don't "tune" products for the cars, you tune the car for the products. If you have no idea what you're talking about, please refrain from posting.

This whole thread is one big cluster-eff and it's about to get shut down due to the lack of knowledge, and people being too thick in the head to understand. Also, if this thread veers off topic, it will be shut down immediately. Fair warning.

RALM, you have people here that KNOW what they're doing and what they're talking about. Take their advice, or go post your lack of knowledge elsewhere.
lol you guys are too funny some times, but take it how you want its just a forum. And we are all hear to gain knowledge, its not my fault the angry guys got picked on in highschool. Some of you all need to relax but its your world enjoy the vurtual satisfaction.

MTZL
09-19-2012, 10:47 PM
To OP: I would get AEM intake for Evo X/Evo X turbo &/or Evo X Turbo frame & relocate the battery.
If you dont want to relocate the battery & plan to keep stock turbo &/or RAD just get the AEM for stock RA turbo.

Short Ram are a waste of money, might as well keep the stock intake & upgrade the filter instead.

"You can lead the horse to the water but you cant make it drink".

Rfiluta
09-19-2012, 11:15 PM
thabk you mtzl thats all i was looking for, well not all has anyone used the gst basemap set up for aem intake, boost pill and exhaust if so did that work well or did you go to a shop and have it tuned

MTZL
09-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Im still rocking mostly stock parts. Everything else is in the planning & gathering stages.

Unless you have technical knowledge of tuning, I would suggest taking it to a reputable shop like RRE (Mike) or a reputable person like razorlab or richard.

Rfiluta
09-19-2012, 11:29 PM
well seeing as im in upstate ny thats not really something i can do and not yo many people with.much experience in tuning with the tc-sst out here,

MTZL
09-19-2012, 11:31 PM
yeah, in that case, start learning how to tune. If you start now (depends on how fast you learn) you can get yourself tune by next year. :D

Rfiluta
09-19-2012, 11:39 PM
well i did a ton of data logging before with my old laptop and my cobb a.p. with the pro tune download but once my laptop shit the bed and i lost all the infor i had collected i kind of gave up on the attempt at a self tune now ill just pay the money to have it done, but if i could use a free one until i upgrade the turbo then of course i would go with that

AlphaKennyBody
09-20-2012, 12:14 AM
Me Personally, I would rather rock a GST basemap > AP OTS Maps anytime.....

But learning how to tune yourself is a great tool yet at the same time, can be frustrating.

BravoZero
09-20-2012, 04:58 PM
GST > AP anyday.