PDA

View Full Version : Steering issue

DC5
09-22-2012, 04:05 PM
I have noticed a strange click/clunk in my steering wheel when turning at slow speeds, like in a parking lot. Otherwise the steering is great. But the feeling is very annoying gives the car a loose feeling when navigating around lots and driveways. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Please help.

Thanks,

BravoZero
09-23-2012, 06:01 PM
Need more information... mods, mileage, etc.

DC5
09-24-2012, 07:12 PM
No mods at all, 33k. Occurs at low speeds, when there are a fair amount of steering rotations. And they are hard to re-create, meaning they don't just happen at the same point in the turn. And don't seem to occur when at a standstill, only in motion. it's a loose, notchy feel. Seems to happen more and more. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

DC5
10-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Anyone ever experience this? Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you,

RalliTart00
10-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Not sure what help this is gonna be but i know most cars can develope issues with the steering column if there is a lack of grease. Down at the neck of the steering shaft where it allows the steering wheel to telescope there are splines that can clunk and cause all kinds of noise especially at low speeds.

EricS09RA
10-19-2012, 05:47 AM
I have the same issue, have you lowered the car?

Markspd6
10-19-2012, 12:01 PM
This happens alot upon lowering the car, you're changing alot of little things when you drop a car.. I usually ignore it.. Like I do now

DC5
10-19-2012, 09:52 PM
I haven't lowered the car, it is still stock. I did buy it used but everything is still factory. I appreciate the suggestion, I'll have to check out the column. It has gotten slightly worse, meaning the it happens more often. It really detracts from the cars feel. I'm hoping to get it rectified ASAP.

Markspd6
10-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Just curious, as its used. How do you know it's still stock? Most of these cars get modified, and get resold all the time with aftermarket springs, etc...

I'd post a pic of your wheel gap, our cars are pretty high up, you could easily have some eibachs and not know it.. Just a suggestion to help..

DC5
10-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Yeah that's a thought. I had an 09 GTS beforehand, and the wheel gap is the same. The car is a fair amount firmer though, but I was under the impression that they beefed up the spring rate and some other things to make it handle a little better. There is also less trunk space due (I think) to bigger strut bars. The car feels the same as other stock ones I have driven. I'll also look closer to see if it has a Pro-Kit but I really don't think so.

To me it feels like a power steering issue, it seems like it is happening right at the wheel itself, verse down in the rack somewhere.

Thanks again for the help,