PDA

View Full Version : "rattling" sound at idle

lancerdarryl
10-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Hey All Greetings from sunny Australia Just a quick question I had my 2010RA in for a service the other day and asked them to have a listen to a rattling sound at idle.The noise has been intermittent for some time now,but just recently it has been there constantly.The car has done 30,000klm(18,000miles).They had a look at it and said there was a problem with the flywheel but would not go into detail about it except to say "never seen this before". I seem to remember hearing about this from a few others on Club RA If anyone had this problem and could enlighten me I would appreciate it Thanks Darryl

Mkid
10-09-2012, 10:53 AM
I've heard about clutch chatter. never the flywheel though.

MikeW-RRE
10-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Some rattle is normal. It is difficult to judge the degree of your rattle over the internet. Try to have a listen to a couple other SST cars (RalliArts or MRs) in person to better judge.

Mike W

crak
10-10-2012, 06:39 AM
yeah, the flywheel is not an everyday type of incident. Usually if there is any noise its from the transmission. Maybe try another dealership for a second opinion. Mechanics are like doctors. They think they know whats wrong but usually are not correct. Try to get another mechanics opinion.

lancerdarryl
10-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks gents :)I am taking the car to another workshop tomorrow to see what they say

lancerdarryl
10-22-2012, 05:00 AM
1475Found the problem slight wear in the flywheel hub splines.This causes the rattle at idle.There was a small amount of wear in the splines.

Klatu
10-22-2012, 09:23 PM
I have it to on my ralliart

I was told that it was due to the TC-SST uses dual clutches, apparently they knock when in idling.

has anyone else notices this?

Klatu
10-22-2012, 09:26 PM
lancerdarryl, I am in oz also...

Did you need to get it replaced?

or did they say you can just leave it?

lancerdarryl
10-23-2012, 04:08 AM
Yes Klatu the flywheel hub is being replaced under warranty.I had a look at the hub yesterday while the car was in pieces and there was some wear in it when it is fitted inside the spline if the trans clutch cover it was quite sloppy.New one is way neater fit.I really hope it lasts more than 30k this time.

lancerdarryl
10-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Just got the car back running quiet as a mouse.Looked at the invoice and the repair was listed as "Refer field fix CJ11-001" So,they must be aware of this fault.

HENRYBEAST
04-07-2015, 09:04 PM
This is great news, I know I'm a little late, but this is useful info. About a week ago my RA started making this weird knocking sound. It happens at idle around 700-680RPM, over 720RPM it disappears. I give it a little bit of gas and it disappears

To get an idea of the sound it's is exactly like this:
http://youtu.be/Q4eIvJTlD6M

I am tuned 270whp 300tq by Road Race
So if I do end up going to the dealer, I need to revert back to stock. My RA has 40K miles.

Has anyone else had this flywheel issue? Or am I just over exaggerating this knocking noise?

Please any input helps