PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Air Filter

dmitchell
11-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for after-market air filters?

Any opinions on the K&N filters?

http://www.knfilters.com/air_filter/mitsubishi_lancer_ralliart.aspx

TheBlackBeast
11-04-2009, 10:43 AM
From dyno testing done at RRE, no noticeable benefits were found from switching from the factory air filter to the K&N drop in filter. Other open element type systems like Injens only netted noticeable gains when combined with ECU tuning. Don't get a filter until you save up for a tune!

dmitchell
11-04-2009, 10:45 AM
OK, good info. Thanks.

AVENGER
11-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for after-market air filters?

Any opinions on the K&N filters?

http://www.knfilters.com/air_filter/mitsubishi_lancer_ralliart.aspx

I have a K&N filter in my car.. My only advice is to be careful since they are pre soaked with oil. I had small oil particulate adhere to the mass airflow sensor and believe it or not, the transmission started shifting irradicaly. So I had to remove the sensor after driving it for a while and clean it. Now it's fine.
However,,, about the power differences.. Not much.. But I did notice a little more pep in it's step. The sounds of the turbo and blow off valve are MUCH more pronounced, that's for sure.

CarGuy
11-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Call Mike at Road Race and ask his opinion. He is sure to have one and it will be based on his years of experience.

MTZL
11-04-2009, 01:30 PM
I had gotten one used K&N filter for $40, I installed it without tuning. Did not notice any major power gain. My car just breath easier and can hear turbo spooling.

I 've look at both Stock Filter and K&N Filter.

I had about 9.5K miles on Stock Filter and it started to look dirty, had dirt deposits. When I put it up against the midday sky I couldnt see pass the filter.
(Mitsu used the same filter on GTS and lower models)

I inspected the K&N Filter and I was able to see light shinning through it. I have used K&N Filter & have couple of bottle of K&N Filter cleaners so K&N Filter was a better choice for me. But I think tuning will be ideal even for something as minor as air filter upgrade.

TheBlackBeast
11-04-2009, 01:38 PM
When it comes time to replace my filter, it will probably be a K&N. Not going for power but longevity and as mtzl put, better sound quality from the turbo...

MTZL
11-04-2009, 01:40 PM
When it comes time to replace my filter, it will probably be a K&N. Not going for power but longevity and as mtzl put, better sound quality from the turbo...

If I find another used one I'll let you know Blackbeast!.

TheBlackBeast
11-04-2009, 01:54 PM
If I find another used one I'll let you know Blackbeast!.

Sweet! That would be great.

Ladogaboy
11-04-2009, 03:03 PM
I might be able to get discounts on the filters, but I'm not sure for how much. I'll have to do some checking.

TheBlackBeast
11-04-2009, 03:05 PM
I might be able to get discounts on the filters, but I'm not sure for how much. I'll have to do some checking.

:)

That would be :cool:

2010 Rallihead Sportback
12-02-2009, 09:55 AM
im also interested in upgrading the intake system, the thing stopping me other than i have to wait a week for the money is that im looking for a setup that doesn't produce so much noise that it overwhelms the sound of the turbo spooling and BOV going off, since im also gonna upgrade the BOV to a Greddy Type S. I know the BOV will be fine since it be louder then the intake but I had a Fujita full Cold air intake system, (not the short ram, given why i said FULL.) when i floored it or even half peddled it, it made so much noise, which they're supposed too, but having this be my first turbo car, is that intake system quieter or different sounding then that a car that doesn't a have a turbo if you change the filter.

Blaze
12-02-2009, 11:52 AM
The battery really seems to be in the way for more intake upgrades. I'll be working on a mini-battery "kit" over the next week or two to fit the intake I want in the car. I'll take some pix and document how I do it.

My initial goal is to make enough room that I can accommodate a AEM kit. Beyond that I'll try to run something more "bling" in there.

MikeW-RRE
12-02-2009, 02:34 PM
I went back to back to back on a stock RalliArt with a stock filter, K&N, HKS and Cosworth filter. No noticeable differences. Did 3-4 pulls with each and all charts pretty much laid on top of one another. The filter on this car and its stock turbo is not holding things back. Also I believe with the different design of the air box compared to the EVO X air box, a filter does not change the air flow signal.

With a turbo upgragde larger than a stock EVO X turbo, then an intake would start to make a difference. If anyone in So Cal wants something cool we can custom make anything you want. A nice intake would require a mini battery or better yet, just relocate the battery.

When we do sell panel filters for the stock air box, we prefer the Cosworth panel filter. It does not use oil so no chance of mucking up the air flow meter. And brand new it is only $43 :-)

Mike W

Blaze
12-02-2009, 02:52 PM
We should probably chat about doing some R&D later. ;)

Ultimately, I think it's an issue if people have to buy a mini-battery to accommodate an intake. It's both an added cost as well as liability and limitation if they add additional ICE to the vehicle.

MTZL
12-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Man too bad RRE is not in the Bay area Northern California...

MikeW-RRE
12-02-2009, 03:26 PM
With bolt-on mail order kits, you are always limited by what the mass market will support. If you are close to an EVO specilist shop, the coolest stuff will always be custom made. It opens up the possibilities. And even more so, if you can do stuff yourself after some research and careful planning, that is the most fun and rewarding part of modding a car.

Mike W

MTZL
12-02-2009, 04:12 PM
With bolt-on mail order kits, you are always limited by what the mass market will support. If you are close to an EVO specilist shop, the coolest stuff will always be custom made. It opens up the possibilities. And even more so, if you can do stuff yourself after some research and careful planning, that is the most fun and rewarding part of modding a car.

Mike W

+1. If I was down South I would make RRE my kick it spot. lol.
I'll bring the BBQ too!

RGRalliart
12-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Man too bad RRE is not in the Bay area Northern California...

GST motorsports is in Hayward.

2010 Rallihead Sportback
im also gonna upgrade the BOV to a Greddy Type S
Why??? Don't do it.

MTZL
12-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Just thinking out loud...

Free test. I dont wanna be stuck with one tuner in case of. Make me feel more secure. References. & MikeW RRE seems like a cool dude...

GST is great, Bryan is a cool dude too.
But GST is always busy with Evos. Bryan is always busy too.

Gives me some time to reflect on life & the Ralliart...

mitzi
12-04-2009, 08:14 PM
so no significant gains huh. any advices on how I can squeeze out a few additional hp's? cat backs/exhausts are sort of out of the question right now.. and I'm thinking of changing the stock wheels and replace it with a much lighter one... you know, lose weight if can't gain add.. power.

Tre
12-04-2009, 09:34 PM
tune or tune+boost pill

jamesanderson1
01-07-2010, 03:01 AM
You can also refer the following link for your purpose and get upgraded with that.

MTZL
01-07-2010, 11:09 AM
tune or tune+boost pill

Boost pill then tune.

Tuqwik4u
01-07-2010, 12:46 PM
I got the Hks Drop in filter it ran me only $55 from Ebay shipped to my door step. The Turbo and Bov are like 3 times as loud as before and i would say it helped in performance a good amount for the value everything else is so expensive on these beautiful cars... Defiantly worth it.

Tre
01-11-2010, 07:00 PM
ya i ordered the HKS unit as well. just waiting for it to arrive. can't wait to put it in.

MTZL
01-12-2010, 10:22 AM
I got K&N Drop in.
I hear more turbo spooling, sometimes BOV after half WOT.

I have a few boxes of K&N filter cleaners from previous car.
So that was the deciding factor. lol
I just make sure the oil spray is fully dry after cleaning.
Before putting it back on my RA.

I got my K&N from Evo X owner.
He threw it in as part of the deal when I bought his Evo X Turbo.

MikeRA87
02-03-2010, 04:12 PM
if i get a ams flash and the boost pill...would there be problems if i get an aftermarket air filter