PDA

View Full Version : When to shift out of first?

blackknight
12-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Hi, im just curious when I should shift out of first in manual sport? My car is custom tuned with full exhaust and intercooler and a few other bits pieces hitting 185kw.. whenever I floor it in first I always feel as if it red lines so quick and I hit the rev limiter and it really feels like its slow compared to just launching in second.. opinions?

MTZL
12-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Depends on your throttle input.
Once you run out of momentum you should shift.
Stop pegging the redline, limit wheel spin.

blackknight
12-20-2012, 09:16 PM
What do you mean stop pegging the redline?

RalliNoob
12-21-2012, 06:41 AM
What do you mean stop pegging the redline?

You know when you WOT and you see the needle bounce in the red zone on the tach...

blackknight
12-21-2012, 07:29 AM
So I dont want that to happen? I usually try to avoid that from happening, thats what im trying to get at, I get to redline so quick I find it hard to shift quick enough without hitting the rev limiter.

skills
12-21-2012, 07:58 AM
So I dont want that to happen? I usually try to avoid that from happening, thats what im trying to get at, I get to redline so quick I find it hard to shift quick enough without hitting the rev limiter.

whats your rev limit at now?

blackknight
12-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Around 7k I never look..

skills
12-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Around 7k I never look..

Like others have said, it depends on your throttle input and some other factors.

going WOT there isn't much time in first. It also depends at what rev you launch, and what your tune has your limit and boost/power taper set at. If your boost tapers off super early and you're at the stock rev limit (6,5-6,8?), it may be better to get into that next gear sooner. Before I installed the gst map and pill, I lost most of the pull around 5k and shifted around 5.5-6. Now it pulls hard up through 7k and the rev limit is 7,156.

I just posted this:
http://www.clubralliart.com/showthread.php?t=3457

video of a launch. I'm in sport auto, but you can see the auto shift point. It's probably a little late for my taste if I were to shift manually. The power is still pretty good up there at 7k in this tune. (gst v3 +pill)

MTZL
12-22-2012, 02:58 PM
think about timing. how long does it take to reach the redline. if it take 1sec you shift within that sec. if it take 2sec you shift within the 2sec. practice your sense of timing until it is muscle memory.