PDA

View Full Version : AWD/ASC Service

BlackBird
12-27-2012, 06:10 PM
So as many of you may or may not know, the northeast got some snow. A lot. I was cruising around having fun, when on my way home i made a turn, swung the rear end around. To counter i turned the wheel and applied more throttle and straightened her out. AS SOON as i did that all kind of lights were flashing, AWD service required! ASC service required! Flashing on the display. I did shut the car off and let it sit, turned it back on and the alerts went away, everything went back to normal. Anybody experience anythinng like this? Explainations?

skills
12-27-2012, 06:43 PM
So as many of you may or may not know, the northeast got some snow. A lot. I was cruising around having fun, when on my way home i made a turn, swung the rear end around. To counter i turned the wheel and applied more throttle and straightened her out. AS SOON as i did that all kind of lights were flashing, AWD service required! ASC service required! Flashing on the display. I did shut the car off and let it sit, turned it back on and the alerts went away, everything went back to normal. Anybody experience anythinng like this? Explainations?

I'm assuming you ended up redlining it without realizing it, while sideways, then at what was close to full throttle the tires unevenly regained grip which threw off the ACD via major overpressure or similar. It's normal, and it's in the manual as something that happens with the car. If you still have it check out the section on the service icons/etc.

As long as you didn't blow a seal or anything, it's fine. I did this last winter while doing donuts on ice. The ACD doesn't like all tires spinning at redline! :D

I did, however, learn that after I changed my ACD fluid things feel much more firm and grippy when applying throttle while sideways. How old is your ACD fluid?

skills
12-27-2012, 06:47 PM

Another comment- Applying throttle in these cars while sideways in snow will not straighten you out. Maybe in a FWD car, but RWD/AWD it pushes the rear out further and you can spin. Best to counter steer and let off the gas lightly and/or match the tire spin speed with the actual ground speed. If you apply throttle, it's very easy to overcome the available traction and pin the tac without realizing it. Then before you know it, you're backwards! :confused:

Of course, I could have misunderstood and your goal was to be straightened out sideways via 4 wheel drift/throttle steer. That's fun!

http://youtu.be/hgChBxAx0So

BlackBird
12-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Nope, no redline. I didn't mash the throttle, it was just a little blip blip. My original intent was to do a little drift. i succeded but with a scare! hopefully i didnt damage anything. No alerts have come up since then. Hopefully it stays that way.
And my car is new, its got 3,500+ miles on it....if you consider that new haha

skills
12-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Nope, no redline. I didn't mash the throttle, it was just a little blip blip. My original intent was to do a little drift. i succeded but with a scare! hopefully i didnt damage anything. No alerts have come up since then. Hopefully it stays that way.
And my car is new, its got 3,500+ miles on it....if you consider that new haha

Yeah, I remember when I got the warning I was terrified that I broke something. 10,000 miles later and no ACD/awd problems!