PDA

View Full Version : nervous to flash again!

skills
04-13-2013, 10:15 AM
A couple of weeks ago I bricked the ECU which cost me money to get un-bricked... money out of my car "upgrade and tune" fund. I'm back on stock now, and lets just say it's not nearly as nice as the GST tune.

So, I want to flash it, but I'm super nervous! If I brick it again, it will end up costing me just as much as if I just got a real tune in the first place.

I set up ECUflash on my macbook running parallels... read from ECU with no problems and no errors. I was too much of a puss to click "write to ecu"

I want to just flash the stock pill basemap, but one part of me keeps saying "you idiot, that's what you did last time, you lost a whole day and spent a bunch of money to fix it... just to go .5 seconds faster to 60!" :D

What do you guys think, should I just wait until I can get TBE+FMIC and get a real tune, and not risk it? Or am I just gun shy?

Thanks!

skills
04-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Maybe a better question.. If test write goes ok, does that mean the actual write will definitely work? Or could it still get jammed up...

tencents
04-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Just test write, if that goes fine and conditions are the same u should be fine. Then again there's Murphy's law

skills
04-13-2013, 06:24 PM
Just test write, if that goes fine and conditions are the same u should be fine. Then again there's Murphy's law

yeah.... that's what I'm worried about. :(

crak
04-14-2013, 08:14 AM
Can ecu flash run of a mac? I was thinking maybe its a compatibility issue. Everyone uses a pc for the flash that i know of.

skills
04-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Can ecu flash run of a mac? I was thinking maybe its a compatibility issue. Everyone uses a pc for the flash that i know of.

The computer that bricked the ECU was a pc netbook.

My "working" laptop is a macbook.. I found some people online who use parallels or VM fusion/bootcamp on a mac. So far it seems more stable than the netbook. No lags or hangs in the "read from ECU" function

Rokpapaziz
04-14-2013, 08:27 PM
I always makes sure my laptop has ample charge and that I have driven the car earlier in the day to make sure the battery is charged too.

Then I do a read first then write.

Any how good luck

TrailBrake
04-15-2013, 11:56 AM
I always makes sure my laptop has ample charge and that I have driven the car earlier in the day to make sure the battery is charged too.

Then I do a read first then write.

Any how good luck

Agreed.

If you are very paranoid, plug the laptop charging unit into an extension chord, and put the car's battery on a trickle charger while you do the flashing.

Also be sure not to bump the car's diag port with you knee, feet, etc.

skills
04-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Agreed.

If you are very paranoid, plug the laptop charging unit into an extension chord, and put the car's battery on a trickle charger while you do the flashing.

Also be sure not to bump the car's diag port with you knee, feet, etc.

Thank you for the advice and ideas.

I think I may just wait until I get it pro tuned. These steps definitely help, but last time when I bricked, I had these bases covered and it froze due to a problem that was unavoidable and unforeseeable (computer was fine and I flashed with it before... but half way through the driver decided to crash). I'm sure it was just a bad stroke of luck... but after thinking about it, I can't afford another bad stroke

Oh well! Thanks for the help anyway everyone

skills
05-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Ok, I got my thumb out of my p**** and flashed the new 3.1 boost pill map.

Read, test write, write. No issues whatsoever. Must have been the laptop last time, as I used a new one for this.

My first autocross of the season tomorrow... perfect timing! :)

RalliNurse
05-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Ok, I got my thumb out of my p**** and flashed the new 3.1 boost pill map.

Read, test write, write. No issues whatsoever. Must have been the laptop last time, as I used a new one for this.

My first autocross of the season tomorrow... perfect timing! :)

Good luck on ur autocross...let us know how it goes...

Now go kick thoses asses...make us the sb owners proud!

BravoZero
05-05-2013, 05:52 AM
ALWAYS do a test write before actually writing to the ECU.

skills
05-05-2013, 01:10 PM
yup, I did "read," "test write" then "write." All good! The tune felt awesome. My tires sucked though, pretty much had to drift everything :rolleyes: