PDA

View Full Version : i think my car is broken!

Ralliart26
12-08-2009, 10:02 PM
ever since i bought it it shifts weird. while shifting from 1st to 2nd it jerks and down shifting there is a slight jerk. There also is a problem when im driving and i let of the gas and get back into it and it shifts thats when you can really notice it. i was wondering if anyone else has this problem or does anyone know what it could be?

mitzi
12-09-2009, 03:12 AM
noticed the same thing from day one. does it happen only when you shift it manually? it's not too obvious when in sport mode but defnitely in normal mode. i kinda had to 'adjust' my acceleration and shifting mixing..

Ralliart26
12-09-2009, 06:54 AM
its worse when its in drive. so is that just how our tranny rides?

MTZL
12-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Take it back to the Dealer. Tell them your problem(s). they should take care of it under warranty. If you think something is not right on the car take it back to the dealer for warranty repair. Keep us posted.

Ralliart26
12-09-2009, 12:31 PM
should i call to see if they can even do anything? cause id have to take off my mods before bringing it up there.

Ladogaboy
12-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Depends on what your mods are. Who knows, they might be causing the problem. Also, where are you located? If you live in a very cold climate, that has been known to cause problems with the ACD and transmission. There is even a reflash specifically for RAs in regions with very cold climates.

Ralliart26
12-09-2009, 07:53 PM
all i have are a UR catback and UICP. but i mean its been going on before i put them on. i live in maryland

Ladogaboy
12-09-2009, 10:53 PM
As was said on evom, it is probably either the natural jerking action of a manual-type transmission or the transmission isn't warm enough. If it still does it after extended periods of driving, it is probably the former.

jRox
12-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Have you gotten the AWC reflash? It'll smoothen out your shifts.

OVNI
12-10-2009, 04:23 AM
Reflash for AWC? Where I can retuning my TCSST?

jRox
12-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Oh sorry, I just noticed your PR. This service doesn't apply.

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BznigP9LGbk8NTU5OTRiNjgtZTJhMC00MjY0L WI2NmMtOWZhZjU1NzFkNDcz&hl=en

OVNI
12-11-2009, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the info...

mitzi
12-14-2009, 11:09 PM
its worse when its in drive. so is that just how our tranny rides?

I just squeeze out (not really redlining it) the gas every gear prior to the 5th-6th and then it would shift fairly smoothly. and yes it starts a little sluggish in the morning or during (very) cold weather. In stop and go traffic, clunks from 1st to 2nd gear and vice versa (auto-mode), though not as bad now as it was then.

CarGuy
12-15-2009, 03:24 PM
should i call to see if they can even do anything? cause id have to take off my mods before bringing it up there.

I would leave the cat-back on, but remove any other mods and see if it changes or improves your shifting. If so, you have your answer. I suspect it won't but why waste your time and the dealers if that is the problem.

Then set up and appointment and have the service advisor or technician drive the car with you to duplicate the conditions. If it only does it in the morning cold then leave the car overnight so the dealer can drive it under those circumstances, otherwise if they can't duplicate your issue, they can't fix it.

You could also arrange it so you meet them at the dealer for that morning test drive to confirm your concerns on the test drive. Just remember to leave the car with them overnight if the concern is only first thing in the morning.

MTZL
12-16-2009, 09:24 AM
I just squeeze out (not really redlining it) the gas every gear prior to the 5th-6th and then it would shift fairly smoothly. and yes it starts a little sluggish in the morning or during (very) cold weather. In stop and go traffic, clunks from 1st to 2nd gear and vice versa (auto-mode), though not as bad now as it was then.

I used to have the same noise in 1st & 2nd but not anymore, I have about 11,700 miles on it now. It may have to do with the clutches being new.

I do notice clicking noise when air/heater is on & idling. If I turn the fan off no more clicking, I presume its normal.
FYI you cant use Cruise Control on Sports Mode.
***Do not use CC during the rain or snow***

mitzi
12-22-2009, 02:09 AM
I used to have the same noise in 1st & 2nd but not anymore, I have about 11,700 miles on it now. It may have to do with the clutches being new.

I do notice clicking noise when air/heater is on & idling. If I turn the fan off no more clicking, I presume its normal.
FYI you cant use Cruise Control on Sports Mode.
***Do not use CC during the rain or snow***

MIne did too, a/c clicking audibly when turned on or when on. I have 10,000 miles on mine and it';s shifting smoothly now.. Unless of course I mess around with my gas pedal..

kenshin1015
03-23-2011, 09:31 PM
i left mitsubishi today having complained of the same problem. getting new tranny ordered car has 27,000 on it no mods

BravoZero
03-24-2011, 08:16 AM
I know this thread old and was revived, but this scares me to know that people are having problems with this transmission. Not so much the fact that it's covered under warranty, but what would happen when my warranty expires and the transmission dies. This is the biggest purchase I've made so far in my almost-23 year old life and I don't want to have to fork out a third of the cost of the car just on a new transmission after my warranty is up.

MTZL
03-24-2011, 09:17 AM
I got 31k miles on it now & it is still running great for my daily driving shifting @ 3k rpm every gear in manual normal mode. Trying to conserve fuel. In Neutral @ stop lights.

I have been trying out the auto mode. It shifts a tick below 3k rpm with easy normal throttle pressure. Downshifts if you step on it to merge on to the freeways. Its matches your throttle input which is pretty cool.

GAbOS
03-24-2011, 10:28 AM
The only issue I have with auto, is the extra work that comes from it. If you are in a situation where the speed isn't constant, the tranny could want to shift back and forth a gear where as in manual, it wont until you tell it too.

That's more work, wear and heat.

BravoZero
03-24-2011, 11:27 AM
If anyone can get pask 100k miles on the original SST transmission with no failures and little to no problems, I will fly out and personally congratulate you. With the rate of these transmission failing, don't think that will happen.

And yes, I know Magnus' Ralliart might have over 100k but that doesn't count, they're a performance company! :)

MTZL
03-24-2011, 11:42 AM
If anyone can get pask 100k miles on the original SST transmission with no failures and little to no problems, I will fly out and personally congratulate you. With the rate of these transmission failing, don't think that will happen.

And yes, I know Magnus' Ralliart might have over 100k but that doesn't count, they're a performance company! :)

Ok, I will let u know when I hit 100k miles. :D maybe in afew years.

caRalliArt
03-24-2011, 12:56 PM
I don't know how much noise you guys are referring. as soon as my trans is warm like 5 min of driving and I go to stop at a light my trans actually slamms into 1st.happens in auto normal.auto sport.manual.no matter what it happens.it slams so hard I can feel it in the floor.every passenger I've ever had has said"what was that?is ur tranny broken?"I've never gotten a service light or over heating warning.I've taken it to the dealership 3 times and the first time they said I had a transmision fluid leak wich they fixed.problem never went away and all they do is say they can't duplicate the problem.Is this the same level of noise everyone has or should I really get on the dealership? I don't even like to drive it in auto anymore because the noise and feeling when it down shifts is so bad I feel like the tranny is gonna fall out

BravoZero
03-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Ok, I will let u know when I hit 100k miles. :D maybe in afew years.

Works for me, I've always wanted to visit Cali anyway! :D

Mkid
03-24-2011, 02:43 PM
I don't know how much noise you guys are referring. as soon as my trans is warm like 5 min of driving and I go to stop at a light my trans actually slamms into 1st.happens in auto normal.auto sport.manual.no matter what it happens.it slams so hard I can feel it in the floor.every passenger I've ever had has said"what was that?is ur tranny broken?"I've never gotten a service light or over heating warning.I've taken it to the dealership 3 times and the first time they said I had a transmision fluid leak wich they fixed.problem never went away and all they do is say they can't duplicate the problem.Is this the same level of noise everyone has or should I really get on the dealership? I don't even like to drive it in auto anymore because the noise and feeling when it down shifts is so bad I feel like the tranny is gonna fall out

That definitely is not normal dude. At least its never happened to me. For me, sometimes it will shift a little harder then normal or have a bit longer of a delay. Thats about it.

total0wnage
03-24-2011, 03:18 PM
That definitely is not normal dude. At least its never happened to me. For me, sometimes it will shift a little harder then normal or have a bit longer of a delay. Thats about it.

im with u on that, it depends on how i came to a stop or if i sped up then slowed down suddenly. i never had gears change so hard i felt it

caRalliArt
03-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Like I said as soon as the transmission is warmed up it starts clanking into first.everyone can feel it when it does. I even took the dealership for a testdrive and the guy said "wow" when I showed it to him.Yet they wnt do anything about it.that was with 10000miles and 100percent stock.I was thinking that I should take it to a transmission shop and have them look at it for me.maybe they could call mitsubishi for me.it could be possible that when the tranny was leaking it was damaged.but not damaged ebough to stop working.

MTZL
03-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Take it back for warranty. Dew it.

caRalliArt
03-25-2011, 10:06 AM
I wrote the service department an email last night explaining my disappointment with this issue.I am just waiting for them to get back to me with an appointment and then ill give them a last chance to fix it before I go to a shop and have it looked at.That means this weekend I have to put the stock parts I have back on.Luckly I just have to uninstall my cobb.put stock air filter in and remove turbosmart BOV.the lowereing springs are gonna stay in because its a lot of work to take them out for an appointment and then put them back in after.I have to get my stereo replaced too.the stealership is gonna hate me.unfortunitly I think I'm to the point that I need to threaten them with a lawyer in order to get my transmission replaced.wish me luck guys

GAbOS
03-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Doesn't the lemon law cover stuff under 12k miles? I don't recall. But if they did the initial work and just are flat out refusing to help anymore when you are clearly under warranty, I would call Mitsu US and let them know that one of their authorized warranty dealers is not providing you service.

caRalliArt
03-25-2011, 12:11 PM
All they have done is waste my gas and time.everytime they take it I end up picking it up with half the gas I dropped it of with and a bs response from them saying they couldn't duplicate the problem.even though I showed it to the service guy and he acknowledged that he felt/herd the problem.How would I go about contacting mitsubishi usa and making a formal complaint

GAbOS
03-25-2011, 12:18 PM
For questions regarding your Mitsubishi vehicle, please contact Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. at 1-888-MITSU2011 (1-888-648-7820).

MTZL
03-25-2011, 12:34 PM
I say go consult with a lawyer that offers free consultation.
Sounds like dealership is just wasting your time.