PDA

View Full Version : When to Tune?

RalliSchwab
05-23-2013, 06:06 PM
I've got a few upgrades ready to go, and I need to know, at what point do I need to start looking at tuning? I've heard a couple different things like, "The turbo will give you all the back-pressure you'll need" and "Don't worry about a tune until you get into where the computer is" Some clarification would be awesome.

What should I go by? Any advice?

[x] AEM intake
[ ] Borla Cat-Back
[ ] Mishimoto Intercooler
[ ] Ultimate Racing IC Pipes

jay10ralliart
05-24-2013, 07:55 AM
I tuned after I installed my exhaust, intercooler, uicp, licp, Evo X bpv, & intake (which requires a tune immediately after install). When getting the tune, my tuner added the Grimmspeed BCS as well.

Im now in the process of upgrading my turbo & adding a downpipe & high flow cat and will require a retune after those installs.

Mkid
05-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Yeah intake is the only thing i've heard that you need an intake for but I don't think it is the end of the world if you don't get a tune right away even with an intake.

RalliSchwab
05-24-2013, 06:48 PM
That's awesome, Thanks Fellas.:D

Maj3st1k
07-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Sorry to bump this thread just wondering if you guys think Id need a tune if I upgrade to the Evo X IC, UICP and LICP? Everything else is still stock, thanks for the help. Btw yes i have searched and still researching about it.

Fstarz
07-11-2013, 07:17 AM
Def tune after getting a bunch of stuff... cuz then you'll end up paying more on tunes when each part is added.

I had a friend install parts about 3 times and each time costing him about $250 for a retune.. just something to think about.

Drew
07-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Sorry to bump this thread just wondering if you guys think Id need a tune if I upgrade to the Evo X IC, UICP and LICP? Everything else is still stock, thanks for the help. Btw yes i have searched and still researching about it.

If you are asking if those mods NEED a tune, the answer is absolutely not. Those mods will work just fine with the free upgrade maps or stock maps. Personally, I would not tune with those mods at all. The Razorlabs tunes work great with the Evo X setup, and most people going custom tune from the free tunes are netting only very small peak gains. A custom tune will make the car feel more fun to drive, but I would wait until you were done with the mods before getting a custom tune. IMHO, it is not worth a custom tune adding just those mods.

MTZL
07-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Custom Tune was better than Free Map.
I am using free map now because I lost my custom tune map. :saltytears:

Maj3st1k
07-11-2013, 05:17 PM
If you are asking if those mods NEED a tune, the answer is absolutely not. Those mods will work just fine with the free upgrade maps or stock maps. Personally, I would not tune with those mods at all. The Razorlabs tunes work great with the Evo X setup, and most people going custom tune from the free tunes are netting only very small peak gains. A custom tune will make the car feel more fun to drive, but I would wait until you were done with the mods before getting a custom tune. IMHO, it is not worth a custom tune adding just those mods.

Thanks man just what i wanted to hear. Already picked up the X IC, LICP and UICP cant wait to install :cool:

Drew
07-11-2013, 06:10 PM
the boost pill basemap might be 20 whp less than custom

If it were near that, I would be surprised. Most people I have seen get maybe 5-10whp peak max, and possibly fattening up the powerband in other places to get 10+whp outside of peak. But Mike would def be the one to answer that.

Maj3st1k
07-12-2013, 02:16 AM
Do you guys recommend a tune for just the UR axleback?

Edit: Found this, would u guys agree?

"Quick and easy "safe" mods that don't require a tune include:
High-flow filter
Axle-back exhaust
Upper/lower intercooler pipes
Larger intercooler
EvoX blowoff valve"

Drew
07-12-2013, 05:18 AM
Do you guys recommend a tune for just the UR axleback?

Edit: Found this, would u guys agree?

"Quick and easy "safe" mods that don't require a tune include:
High-flow drop in filter (in stock airbox)
cat-back exhaust
Upper/lower intercooler pipes
Larger intercooler
EvoX blowoff valve"

Updated with my opinion

zeRep85
07-12-2013, 09:07 AM
hmmmmm...

some of those items MIGHT make you overboost...

if you overboost you will trigger a CEL..

zeRep

Markspd6
07-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Test pipe with stock muffs, is fine.. Test pipe with modded muff.. That's gonna cause issues.

deprydation
07-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Test pipe with stock muffs, is fine.. Test pipe with modded muff.. That's gonna cause issues.

That's what she said?:eek:

Giggity!