PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust tips..tips!

Burngeart09
06-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Hey yall..

So I Installed the Borla Catback Exhaust, and the UR high flow cat on my 09 Ralliart sport back.

Few things..

The cat back fits the RA perfectly.
The high flow cat fits the RA perfectly.
The cat and the exhaust DO NOT fit each other perfectly.

The flange from the old exhaust had to be cut off, same with the flange from the Cat, then we had welded the old exhaust flange to the cat, because there was a 1/4 inch ( ish ) air gap from the UR cat and Borla exhaust flange, where they meet up. I opted for the cat, since it was cheaper of the two kits to mangle.

two and a half hours, and 230 bucks later..bam. Forced marriage successful.

Is it loud? YEP!
Is there drone? Sure. But who cares. :)

DO I have pics? No..its raining out and I wanna drive for a bit!!

So thats that! Hope it helps some folks who are thinking of this route. :)

RalliNurse
06-10-2013, 07:23 PM
It's not a "forced" marriage....it's a shotgun marriage. ..lol...

MTZL
06-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Pics of the odd couples or it is all lies!

Burngeart09
06-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Probably the shittiest welding I've seen, and this is the first time I saw it, while taking the pics..probably why it was so cheap. Meh, it works, however, what I've noticed also, is the drone...man is it awful! I contacted Borla direct, and they are going to send me a venturi to be installed to reduce the drone. Free of charge, as this is a common issue people are having. Google tells me this will help some..so we will see...good thing I opted for the cat weld, instead of the borla weld, so if I decide that the venturi doesn't work, Ill be selling the borla and trying something else instead..UR perhaps?? We shall see!!

BravoZero
06-12-2013, 07:01 PM
The reason I got rid of the Borla is because how loud the system was after installing the high flow cat. At WOT, it literally hurt my ears with the windows closed, it droned that much. The UR system was not a whole lot more quiet, but it did help eliminate some of the drone. Had I known how loud it would have been, I would have opted for the mini muffler test pipe instead of the HFC.

Jackal
06-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Just a FYI. To get the sound you are craving without a lot of drone order the UR Cat back but spend the extra money on the mid pipe to include both the resonator and inline mini muffler.

BravoZero
06-15-2013, 07:40 AM
^ Did that, still droned. The resonator and mini muffler could have been a lot better than what they were.

Burngeart09
06-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Jackal...I'm not in a position to $ a brand new catback, well, not yet anyways..

BravoZero..what set up did you end up with that made you happy, before you sold the RA?

I'm leaning towards putting in a resonator this coming weekend, and I'm wondering what other additions to make, to remove the drone.

BravoZero
06-17-2013, 08:07 AM
I sold the car with the UR catback (mini muffler and resonators) and Depo high flow cat. Again, it still droned and you could still here me coming (pause...) from a few blocks away.

crak
06-17-2013, 06:18 PM
drone on

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmWwbCCduneVbONOzsYKFTCA5Mi80Jv wHou_8pvOcoUO1zpWGS

RalliRalli
06-17-2013, 07:08 PM
drone on

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmWwbCCduneVbONOzsYKFTCA5Mi80Jv wHou_8pvOcoUO1zpWGS

Oh yes! I personally don't get bothered by the borlas drone

Drew
06-18-2013, 05:24 AM
Drone? I don't hear no stinking drone.......
http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/mrtwystir/drone1_zpsff9454da.jpg

Jackal
06-18-2013, 11:10 PM
Awesome post Drew! LMAO!!!

You made my day.

OherrOderr
06-19-2013, 09:23 AM
That's a badass pic :cool:

But yeah, sometimes some brands don't mesh with eachother... I know that the Cobb down pipe and test pipe didn't match up well with the Invidia Q300 Catback... so I just got the Cobb catback to save the headache

cetme
06-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Drone? I don't hear no stinking drone.......
http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/mrtwystir/drone1_zpsff9454da.jpg

Frickin' awesom man! Haha, made my day too! So does that come with the borla exhaust??? ;)

Sinestra
06-26-2013, 05:17 AM
I wonder why the drone on my Borla is not that bad. At highway speeds i barely hear it.

michel7
04-02-2014, 12:46 PM
...welding Stainless Steel - having it done by an amateur - is a task I would only leave up to a technician who holds a welding license for various alloys....that weld done between to rear exhaust and the straight pipe to the front now becomes the weakest part of the system...
I race a 2010 MR and had a novice do the work to get a saving and I lost part of the system at corner 4 at Lime Rock Park the summer of 13......