PDA

View Full Version : frozen fuel door

mitzi
12-27-2009, 12:45 AM
FYI.... The alloy fuel door (accessory) on my ralliart ALWAYS freezes close. It's kinda funny going to the gas station, seeing me struggling to open the fuel door unsuccesfully. More than a couple of times I ended up just going home and wait for it to thaw out. Never experienced this with any of my other cars.. Help?!

TheBlackBeast
12-27-2009, 01:08 PM
You could pour hot water over it until it opens...

It could be that water collects in the hinge area and then freezes when it gets cold out. I've noticed a large amount of water gets stuck in there after washing it myself. Even after drying it off and driving on the freeway a bit some water drips out and leaves streaks. I guess making sure its dried out completely before closing the door would help it.

MTZL
12-28-2009, 09:37 AM
I dont know about Alloy Fuel Door, I dont have one but maybe you can put some weather strip or small rubber liner on the edge of your Alloy will prevent it from sticking or freezing up. Since you have your alloy fuel door freezes close that must be enough room for small rubber liner, Im just guessing (got any close up pics?) I dont have the accessory I was thinking about getting one but cant justify the cost.

be careful about using hot water on your iced over car, I suggest using cold water...you can hurt the paint hot water on ice cold or crack windshield...maybe.

voodooutt
01-13-2010, 09:52 PM
I've got the same problem with the alloy door. I have a hard time opening it when its cold out / frozen shut, quite annoying. i dont know if its the actual moving mechanism thats sticking or something else

MikeW-RRE
01-14-2010, 02:10 PM
I have not seen this problem :-P Been driving a RalliArt with this exact fuel door for the last three weeks.

http://roadraceengineering.com/ralliart/silly-stuff/caliweather.jpg

Mike W

Blaze
01-14-2010, 02:24 PM
If you're getting moisture in there that's freezing over, you might want to leave a few of those packets they put in shoes to absorb the moisture.

Second option would be to adjust your fueling habits to where you aren't filling up first thing in the morning or in the middle of the night. (sometimes of course, it's unavoidable)

RalliUp
01-16-2010, 04:50 AM
It been cold and below freezing in TN. I had to have a guy help me with the fuel door last week. It would pop all the way open. So he popped it, and I used my key to get it out. Nice car, but that was embarasing.

mitzi
01-28-2010, 04:08 AM
I have not seen this problem :-P Been driving a RalliArt with this exact fuel door for the last three weeks.

http://roadraceengineering.com/ralliart/silly-stuff/caliweather.jpg

Mike W

this would usually happen during freezing weather.. rockford's been hit by a cold spell for at least a month now.