PDA

View Full Version : Boost Leak

RALM
07-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Hey I have experienced a boost leak in my RA my car is suppost to make 23psi of boost and on yesterday it only put out 20.3psi. Where are common areas that a boost leak may occure in the RA's.

Splattj
07-24-2013, 12:01 PM
From your mod list you've replaced most of the piping and the BOV/BPV. I'd just start checking your hose clamps. If you spray each junction with starter fluid when the car is running you should notice a change in RPM if there's a leak.

RALM
07-25-2013, 10:45 PM
From your mod list you've replaced most of the piping and the BOV/BPV. I'd just start checking your hose clamps. If you spray each junction with starter fluid when the car is running you should notice a change in RPM if there's a leak.

nice thanks didnt know that worked for turbo cars I use to do that with my n/a cars but again thanks will do.

RALM
08-19-2013, 02:27 PM
I have cheched the piping what carb cleaner and the idle stayed at 633 RPM's the entire time has anyone used a Boost Leak tester I found one on this site
http://www.turboboostleaktesters.com/servlet/the-125/Pro-dsh-Kit-cln--RALLIART-X/Detail

And does anyone know if our turbo's shafts are known to go bad and or have waist gate problems?

Splattj
08-23-2013, 12:23 PM
The turbos on our car are known to be pretty reliable. 23psi is at the upper limit of what they can do. Since you're obviously tuned, were you actually making 23psi or is that what the boost control is set to? Was it cold when you were making 23psi?

If you want a boost leak tester, just make one from home depot parts:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how-tos-installations/339529-how-boost-leak-tester-5-02-a.html

Drew
08-23-2013, 12:48 PM
I would definitely make your own. Pretty simple and cheap. The reason the starter fluid doesn't work is that it is a boost leak, not a vacuum leak, and the two rarely coincide. It is a lot easier to leak boost through a coupler than it is vacuum. Pressure tester and a good ear is the way to go.

crak
08-24-2013, 02:48 PM
could be the clamps on some of the piping. I am running 27 psi and no issues.

RALM
08-25-2013, 08:40 PM
The turbos on our car are known to be pretty reliable. 23psi is at the upper limit of what they can do. Since you're obviously tuned, were you actually making 23psi or is that what the boost control is set to? Was it cold when you were making 23psi?

If you want a boost leak tester, just make one from home depot parts:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how-tos-installations/339529-how-boost-leak-tester-5-02-a.html

hey and sorry for the delay I got my car tuned last spring in May the temp was around 85 degrees, my car was putting out a consistent 23.3 psi of boost, even when it was damn near 100 degrees I have never checked the boost when it was cold.

RALM
08-25-2013, 08:45 PM
I would definitely make your own. Pretty simple and cheap. The reason the starter fluid doesn't work is that it is a boost leak, not a vacuum leak, and the two rarely coincide. It is a lot easier to leak boost through a coupler than it is vacuum. Pressure tester and a good ear is the way to go.

Thanks and completely understood.

RALM
08-25-2013, 09:20 PM
could be the clamps on some of the piping. I am running 27 psi and no issues.

yeah prayfully thats all it is and darn your running 27 how much power are you putting to the wheels?

cjsabaki
09-03-2013, 06:46 AM
Mix up some water n dishsoap in a spray bottle and spray every inch of piping and each juntion, start her up and rev up to about 3500, helps to have someone else rev the car while u look for bubbles!! :D

Mine was leaking on the upper pipe juntion to the turn down.....

Chris

RALM
09-04-2013, 08:32 AM
Mix up some water n dishsoap in a spray bottle and spray every inch of piping and each juntion, start her up and rev up to about 3500, helps to have someone else rev the car while u look for bubbles!! :D

Mine was leaking on the upper pipe juntion to the turn down.....

Chris

Ok and thanks

RALM
10-22-2013, 09:43 AM
So I was Finally able to use my boost leak tester and the system held the pressure???? I called the company to make sure I was doing the test right (clamping or plugging the boost pill line, taking off the oil cap and pressure rizing the system. My car is supposed to make 23 psi of boost but its been making 20 psi. So i pressurized it to 25 heard no leaks what so ever. But I did hear a little air comming from the turbo outlet pipe? the boost pill line was clamped could this bee my DV letting air spill off because I heard the air comming from the turbo outlet pipe when pressure was at 20 psi can our stock DV handle 23psi of boost because Im thinking of switching it out for my AMS one in order to do a check or could it be my oil catch can? any thoughts.