PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the SSTs shift quality

CarGuy
11-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Some people feel it shifts roughly, others not so. What do you think?

Runaround
01-22-2009, 02:58 PM
I think it's just fine as is. It can be a little rough in the morning when it's cold out, but that's usually just for the first few shifts till it warms up. After that it's awesome.

Mamba4
01-22-2009, 06:57 PM
I love the shifting, I agree that at times its rough until its gets warmed up but that's no big deal to me. And I love driving a manual but this tranny is awesome and I have no regret in getting the RA.

voodooutt
01-23-2009, 07:39 AM
so far, for me shifts just fine. I have not felt any rough shifts yet...

jRox
02-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Feels good to me.

bryce-
04-18-2009, 11:29 AM
i've only test driven the RA, but the tranny felt perfect, very quick shifts and i think it made the car feel faster. any chance they'll make an RA w/ a 5 or 6spd manual?

AVENGER
05-16-2009, 08:14 PM
I love how it just BANGS through those gears so fast...

dmitchell
10-15-2009, 02:50 PM
I find it a little rough for the first few shifts when it's cold out, but when the car is warm it works perfectly. Driving in Sport mode in anything other than highway conditions or country roads and the car feels almost too aggressive!

RalliUp
10-15-2009, 06:13 PM
It feels like a 6 when I let off the gas and change gears. I love it 100%.

Ladogaboy
10-15-2009, 08:39 PM
I haven't really thought about it, but since I am coming off owning a manual with a weak rear diff bushing, maybe I'm not qualified to speak on the issue. :p

A friend that was riding with me just the other day did mention that he thought it shifted rough.

MTZL
10-16-2009, 10:21 AM
I tend to shift with gas pressure sometimes its rough (I think thats a miss shift)
and ecu correcting the miss shift,. not sure though.

I think its better for TC-SST if you let off the gas before shifts.

MikeRA87
01-08-2010, 12:01 PM
i've only test driven the RA, but the tranny felt perfect, very quick shifts and i think it made the car feel faster. any chance they'll make an RA w/ a 5 or 6spd manual?

Yes i believe they will come out with a 5 spd manual in 2011

Tuqwik4u
01-08-2010, 02:17 PM
I like it. The shifts are smooth yet aggressive. The next gear is always ready for you...

Ralliart13
01-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Ive noticed that when engaging the paddle shifters without pushing the shiftnob over the tranny still trys to shift for you... kind of irritating but not a big deal.

Ralliart Guy
01-13-2010, 09:34 AM
I think the SST is a great transmission and makes the car. I don't think the Ralliart would be much of a car without it to be honest. The SST transmission does not like to shift when your going somewhat slow, 25 MPH and under. Even with that said, it is an amazing transmission. When you get on it, you don't lose power between gear changes because it switches gears lightning quick. I do think the shifts are quite smooth.

Sakura09
03-08-2010, 12:22 AM
Smooth when I want it that way and fast when I want it fast.

geargrinder
03-08-2010, 07:41 AM
I agree with Ralliart Guy, the SST makes the car. To find this kind of technology in a car in this price range is amazing. That being said, I wish it had a setting in between regular and sport. Something that doesn't always try to get to 6th gear, but doesn't have to be at 4500rpm to up shift. I think the optimum would be up shifts at 3500rpm, down shifts at 2200rpm. rev matching enabled on every down shift. 6th gear only if it get's above 4000 rpm.

2010 Rallihead Sportback
04-11-2010, 12:54 PM
I tend to shift with gas pressure sometimes its rough (I think thats a miss shift)
and ecu correcting the miss shift,. not sure though.

I think its better for TC-SST if you let off the gas before shifts.

not really, first you have to build up all the boost that you lost when you left off the gas, which you didn't have to do, notice the difference when you let off,... you feel a drop in performance, but if u keep your foot on the gas and shift, like you supposed to its the same power through out the gears.. so its not worth it to let off the gas, besides its not a manual where you have to let off the gas and disengage the clutch and reengage, our gearbox is more automatic then it is manual.. i mean really the concept of the trans is similar to any car that has a sporttronic mode in, meaning the + - that allow you to change gears when ever you wont. reminds me of my 08 eclipse thou it was slower..

razorlab
04-11-2010, 06:38 PM
I agree with Ralliart Guy, the SST makes the car. To find this kind of technology in a car in this price range is amazing. That being said, I wish it had a setting in between regular and sport. Something that doesn't always try to get to 6th gear, but doesn't have to be at 4500rpm to up shift. I think the optimum would be up shifts at 3500rpm, down shifts at 2200rpm. rev matching enabled on every down shift. 6th gear only if it get's above 4000 rpm.

That all can be changed... Working on it now.. ;)

- Bryan

Jdmboi
04-12-2010, 08:45 AM
it shifts good and smooth but the only thing I don't like about it has a little bit of a lag......other then that its cool..........

MTZL
04-12-2010, 09:36 AM
That all can be changed... Working on it now.. ;)

- Bryan

Waiting Patiently & saving my money for it. :cool:

MTZL
04-12-2010, 10:01 AM
not really, first you have to build up all the boost that you lost when you left off the gas, which you didn't have to do, notice the difference when you let off,... you feel a drop in performance, but if u keep your foot on the gas and shift, like you supposed to its the same power through out the gears.. so its not worth it to let off the gas, besides its not a manual where you have to let off the gas and disengage the clutch and reengage, our gearbox is more automatic then it is manual.. i mean really the concept of the trans is similar to any car that has a sporttronic mode in, meaning the + - that allow you to change gears when ever you wont. reminds me of my 08 eclipse thou it was slower..

Im not talking about of speed or turbo. Im just saying, previous post about TC-SST Shifting rough. You can shift through WOT without letting off but your clutches will not be too happy with the heat in a long run or your Turbo & many other parts from excessive heat & abuse.

My point is at normal driving 25mph to 45mph speed range I dont think you would want to put your clutches through that kind of torture test.
Different Driving habits for different folks.

I do my share of driving hard on my RA on the track but not all the time. Its a Daily Driven but it gets it share of track time.

You cant call it sportstronic because they had a torque converter just like an auto. & it based on Twin "Clutch" means its a manual first made into auto because most people are not as good as CPU in Clutch control. Some people can drive their stock clutch for 150,000 miles. some only 50,000 miles.

2010 Rallihead Sportback
04-23-2010, 11:34 AM
it shifts good and smooth but the only thing I don't like about it has a little bit of a lag......other then that its cool..........

well, rather have our time of lagg, which is practically nothing or an Evo's lagg?

2010 Rallihead Sportback
04-23-2010, 12:07 PM
You cant call it sportstronic because they had a torque converter just like an auto. & it based on Twin "Clutch" means its a manual first made into auto because most people are not as good as CPU in Clutch control. Some people can drive their stock clutch for 150,000 miles. some only 50,000 miles.

How can I not call it a "Sporttronic" when it's in the name "SST" (Sportronic Shift Transmission)

Ray
07-01-2010, 07:25 PM
i love it!!!! now, remember this are aggressive cars, and they perform as such.
i took for a spin a couple of my friends which they own wrx's, they drop there jaws when they felt the big pull when i floored the gas:D:D:. all i got was praises from them. and this is coming from wrx owners:cool: