PDA

View Full Version : Coolant reservoir very low!

MTZL
06-21-2010, 08:50 PM
I need some advice on if there are specific brand of coolant needed for my RA.
Im not paying dealer price so dealership is out of the question.

My Coolant reservoir is very very low...:(

geargrinder
06-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Here check out this article from Turbo magazine. Seems like Water Wetter does pretty well.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0703_turp_cooling_system_additives/test_results.html

MTZL
06-22-2010, 09:01 AM
SO JUST ADD WATER? LOL
DEI Radiator Relief numbers looks great lowest temp in Cylinder Heads.

TheBlackBeast
06-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Well, you want to have a specific mixture of anti-freeze and distilled water, plus an additive like water wetter. If you don't know what the factory mix is, it would be safest to drain and refill completely. There is a tool you can get at pep boys (or whatever auto store) that will tell you if your mixture is in the correct range. If you don't need anti-freeze because you never encounter freezing temps, then you could just do distilled water plus an additive.

If you aren't too concerned about what is in there, then distilled water is safest. Add in the additive first, then top off with distilled water.

I've used water wetter in the past and was highly recommended by RRE at the time (about 10 years ago). I don't know if this has changed in the meantime. GearGrinders article he posted seems to back this up. Thanks for the link!