PDA

View Full Version : middle of bumper

07outty
12-06-2008, 08:12 PM
hey all. hope everyone is enjoying their RAs'.

i waxed my blue RA for the first time today.

when i came to the front bumper , i was not sure if it is black paint or just black plastic.

i did not wax the center section , just used plexus for now.

the way the surface reacted to the plexus made me pretty sure it is plastic.

does anyone know for sure if it is painted ?

coolguy949
01-06-2009, 05:12 PM
It's material black, I would not wax it. You can wash it like normal though. Meguiars might make something to clean those surfaces. It's the same material as the hood vents.

coolguy949
01-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Actually, if it's the same material as the Evo, here's the text from the Evo owner's manual:

Cleaning plastic parts

Use a sponge or chamois to clean these parts.
If a vehicle wax sticks to a gray or black rough surface of the
bumper, molding or lights, the surface may appear white in
color. In this case, wipe it off using lukewarm water and a soft
cloth or chamois.

You might want to check with your owner's manual.

CarGuy
01-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Try Turtle Wax's Ice. It's a clear polish/cleaner/wax that doesn't leave a white wax residue on black surfaces, like the area you are talking about. Try it on the underside first, but I've used it before and you can even use it on the glass, it's very cool!

07outty
01-07-2009, 11:54 AM
......the center section is definetly just black plastic with no paint.

i will continue to use plexus on that area after washing.

MikeW-RRE
01-11-2009, 11:37 PM
We had an EVO X that had a couple paint chips in the black center part of the bumper. It was a light grey color under the flat black paint.

Mike W

07outty
01-12-2009, 09:46 AM
We had an EVO X that had a couple paint chips in the black center part of the bumper. It was a light grey color under the flat black paint.

Mike W

i had my center section out to see what i need to do to get rid of the chrome ring.

when i had it out , it sure seemed like the front suface and the back-side surface were the same - just smooth black plastic.

i'll take it out again when i have time and scratch the back side to see if anything comes off.

it sure reacts to the plexxus like it is plastic ! ( pastic based paint ? )