PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Warmup or Cool Down?

Ralliheart
06-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Hello all,

So this is going to be my first turbo car and I've heard stories of turbo cars in the past blowing bearings and what not by not letting the turbo warm up or cool down. I have heard that these new ones are liquid cooled. Is it necessary to wait a few minutes and let the turbo warm up before you head out? Thanks.

-Ralliheart

zeRep85
06-27-2010, 03:46 PM
I would like to know people's thoughts on this too..

I was told that if you keep your car under 3.5K rpms until it warms up you should be good...thoughts?

Do I really need to wait until my temperature gauge starts reading before I drive out of my garage? Thats a long time..

geargrinder
06-27-2010, 04:15 PM
For normal driving there is no need to cool the Turbo down. Maybe at the track after a twenty minute session you might want to let it cool off a little. Even then the drive over to the pits would probably be enough. That being said, turbo timers are cool!

Jackal
06-27-2010, 05:54 PM
I agree with Geargrinder for regular driving you really don't need to wait for warm up or cool down unless your really abusing the car. You may hear the fans kick on even after you have turned off the car and walked away. They will turn off once the temp drops and this would only happen if you drove it hard then turned it off almost right afterward.

TheBlackBeast
06-28-2010, 09:14 AM
My rule of thumb is if I'm driving hard enough to get the turbo glowing, then I'm going to let it cool down for a few minutes before shut down. For start up, I take it easy for a couple miles before getting too crazy. I haven't let the car idle till its warm. I also use synthetic so I feel a little better about this methodology.

MTZL
06-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Stay off boost til its warmed up.
Stay under 3k rpm til thermo stat gauge start filling up
(that thermo stat gauge let you know the turbo is warmed up)

Ralliheart
07-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Driving it the other day I did notice that when you turn the key off on the ignition, the engine stays for a couple extra seconds. It seems that the RA may have a built in turbo timer to prevent any meltdowns.

-Ralliheart

RalliNurse
07-26-2010, 09:31 PM
in the mornings I usually let it wam up till tach drop to 1k...bcuz when I turn my car on my tach starts on 1.5k...but in the afternoons when t's warmer I'll just run with it...

MikeW-RRE
07-26-2010, 11:10 PM
The turbo does not need to warm up before beating on it. The motor would appreciate it though. Wait till the coolant temp gauge moves a bit before you mash on the gas pedal.

If you are runing hard, it is a good idea to let the turbo and motor in general cool down before shutting it off. Pop your hood sometime after your drive home in the dark and have a look for how long it takes to stop glowing red.

The motor stays on after the key is off to allow the transmission to shift everything to neutral and cycle its self to Park to be ready to fire up and go. Not exactly to cool anything off.

Mike W

RocketRay
07-27-2010, 08:18 AM
If you are runing hard, it is a good idea to let the turbo and motor in general cool down before shutting it off. Pop your hood sometime after your drive home in the dark and have a look for how long it takes to stop glowing red.
Mike W

New car color name: "Motor Glow".

MTZL
07-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Driving it the other day I did notice that when you turn the key off on the ignition, the engine stays for a couple extra seconds. It seems that the RA may have a built in turbo timer to prevent any meltdowns.

-Ralliheart

+1 staying on after shut down if you've driven Ralliart hard, it stay on to cool down.
+1 RA doesnt need turbo timer.

Ralliheart
08-06-2010, 11:45 AM
I was just curious but I think these turbo's now adays are so advanced they are nothing like what they used to be. Reading a little more about the car the turbo is liqud and oil cooled so I'm sure they are fine.

ralli_kid
09-03-2010, 07:44 PM
With all this being said do we really need a turbo timer because i got one from a friend since he had no use for it...

GTS_Rob
09-03-2010, 08:38 PM
use it breezy

ralli_kid
09-03-2010, 08:42 PM
I want to but I don't know crap about the install

i would be willing to pay someone for help

GAbOS
09-03-2010, 09:38 PM
+1 staying on after shut down if you've driven Ralliart hard, it stay on to cool down.
+1 RA doesnt need turbo timer.

+ Elevtentybillion

Cooling of a liquid cooled forced induction system should be common place by now.

As I understand it; The Pill system is all ECU.

MTZL
09-04-2010, 07:32 PM
if you feel you still want to stimulate the economy, get yourself the Turbo-timer
&
http://clubralliart.com/showthread.php?p=7156#post7156

Plug n play harness (http://www.lancershop.com/customer/product.php?productid=255&cat=43&page=1)