PDA

View Full Version : It looks like the exhaust system is very different from the Evolution model

CarGuy
12-12-2008, 10:26 AM
I was told direct from Mitsubishi that it was the same but owners are reporting that the aftermarket Evo exhausts are not fitting. There is interference at the rear trailing arm area and the tailpipes. Looks like we'll need a dedicated Lancer Ralliart exhaust system.

RAcowboy
03-30-2009, 07:56 PM
I was told direct from Mitsubishi that it was the same but owners are reporting that the aftermarket Evo exhausts are not fitting. There is interference at the rear trailing arm area and the tailpipes. Looks like we'll need a dedicated Lancer Ralliart exhaust system.

Well, it's lancer GTS based suspension, the rear suspension was just modified enough to allow for the rear diff. the system is pretty much the same routing exept you need an extra bend to clear the rear section Ultimate racing has full turboback for this I found, but I don't wanna go too loud on a car that sounds like it shifts like an automatic. Maybe just a high-flow cat in the stock exhaust w/ ecu flash & gst boost pill.

07outty
03-31-2009, 11:10 AM
..i should have my Ultimate Racing......down pipe and high-flow cat this week.

i am thinking i will install on sunday.

RAcowboy
03-31-2009, 12:11 PM
..i should have my Ultimate Racing......down pipe and high-flow cat this week.

i am thinking i will install on sunday.

using them w/ stock catback? let me know how that works out, because 750 for just a catback w/ little or no gains seems ridiculous.

07outty
03-31-2009, 02:48 PM
yeah. i'm going to start with the "hard parts" first.

i am still undecided what i want in a cat-back system.

i DO know that i need to do down pipe and high flow cat to see any real gains from what ever cat-back i choose.

i may also build my own cat-back as i have built exhaust systems for my past truck and "hot rod' projects.

CarGuy
04-01-2009, 08:54 AM
If you read up you'll find that deleting the cat does little to performance but does pollute 100% of the time. Last months issue of Import Tuner tested stock cat against, hogged-out cat against high-flow. Not much in the way of gains, the hogged-out actually made less power. To each his own, but in Cali we can't even run high-flows as it is illegal to change the cat unless damaged and you'll need to have proof if replaced and caught. Some vendors may disagree but they are in the business of selling parts to what do you think they are going to say...

07outty
04-01-2009, 11:49 AM
........i would never go the "test-pipe" route , just would not be right nowdays.

a good aftermarket cat ( like the one from U.R.) flow well and do a good job buning off all of the bad stuff.

a high flow cat will never sniff test like the factory one , but some get real close.

CarGuy
04-01-2009, 12:31 PM
........i would never go the "test-pipe" route , just would not be right nowdays.

a good aftermarket cat ( like the one from U.R.) flow well and do a good job buning off all of the bad stuff.

a high flow cat will never sniff test like the factory one , but some get real close.

How much power will you see for the money spent? 5hp? 10hp? I highly doubt you'll see that much difference. Waste of money if you ask me. You'll never notice or need 5hp on the street.

07outty
04-01-2009, 02:08 PM
at this point i am not looking for my initial changes to gain H.P.

the performance/efficiency of the turbo should be increase though.

when i am done piecing together my turbo-back exhaust and get a tune to optimize it .........

.......i think 40 h.p. gain would be a conservative estimate.

RAcowboy
04-01-2009, 06:49 PM
at this point i am not looking for my initial changes to gain H.P.

the performance/efficiency of the turbo should be increase though.

when i am done piecing together my turbo-back exhaust and get a tune to optimize it .........

.......i think 40 h.p. gain would be a conservative estimate.

I agree w/ you about turbo efficiency, It seems just a 70mm down pipe on this stock exhaust w/ re-flash + boost pill should be my route w/ this. The down pipe would definately help spool-up & responsivness from my experiances. & one thing I forgot to mention was having a full 3'' turboback will cost low-end performace to gain top-end, you'll make dyno #s, but unless yer making ridiculous power in the high revs, It's not necessary have that big of piping all the way back on mildly tuned cars. You wanna stay in yer power band right?

07outty
04-02-2009, 12:57 PM
i think the 3 inch down-pipe and cat are a good thing seeing as they are so close to the turbo.

i am going to do alot of reseach before i decide what to do for the remainder of my exhaust system.

3 inch pipe all the way to the end does seem un-needed.

my next project (after the DP and cat ) may be to open up the stock muffler and see if i can increase the flow through it.

RAcowboy
04-02-2009, 07:38 PM
some evo X owners are cutting open the stock muffler to cut out a baffle/pipe that makes it a full straight-thru design.

07outty
04-03-2009, 08:01 AM
some evo X owners are cutting open the stock muffler to cut out a baffle/pipe that makes it a full straight-thru design.

hey , thanks for that info.

..hopefully the "guts" of the RA muffler are the same , so that modifying the stocker can work.

have you heard anything about a sound change ? ?

....i am not looking for noise , just a little more flow.

RAcowboy
04-03-2009, 10:36 AM
that's the point, stealth appearance,w/ increased flow capability & w/ minimal noise gain.

07outty
04-04-2009, 10:10 AM
i'm going to see if i can find any one in so.cal who "up-graded" their exhaust....

.......hopefully i could get a stock muffler cheap to experiment with.