PDA

View Full Version : HKS Center Pipe Installed Cat question

jjrally85
07-28-2010, 08:18 AM
I bought the HKS center pipe installed about two months ago. The pipe does not come with a catalytic converter which i didn't really think about until I got the stock pipe home and saw the cat attached. I'm in MA, will I fail inspections due to emissions/ is it illegal to have no catalytic converter installed on my RA? What are my options? I have the stock pipe still, and I've read the center pipe isn't doing me any good in the power dept. until I add a high flow axel back so what should I do? HELP!

wholden
07-28-2010, 09:28 AM
is the new one out yet?????????????

jjrally85
07-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Sorry, the new what?

MikeW-RRE
07-28-2010, 11:30 AM
From reading this you have the pipe and it is not installed?

Normally a guy would replace the axle back part of the exhaust system. That is the most restrictive part. Then after that you would upgrade the center pipe.

A center pipe would not and should not include a catalytic converter. That is a separate part. You still have the stock cat in place so you are fine for your inspection.

Mike W

jjrally85
07-28-2010, 12:36 PM
I apologize for the confusion, I do have the new center pipe installed. I still have the old pipe sitting in my apartment, but the new pipe is on the car now. That means they removed my cat right?

When would this center pipe be legal and what is the purpose since I've been told it is not adding any power for me?

zeRep85
07-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Well you should be able to tell if the cat was removed...it would be attached to the pipe sitting in your apartment..

My understanding the exhaust path is as follows;

Turbo - Downpipe - Cat - Center Pipe - Axle Back - Muffler - Tips

If the cat was removed you would need something to fill the gap..

jjrally85
07-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Right. The cat is attached to the pipe in my apt. The new pipe is just a straight center pipe.
Here:

http://www.advancespeedshop.com/center-pipe-20092010-mitsubishi-lancer-ralliart-33004am002-p-11576.html

In the description it states that this does not eliminate factory cats, but I don't understand that statement. Can anyone shed some light here? I contacted their tech support and asked the same question but I have not heard back yet.

zeRep85
07-28-2010, 03:06 PM
hmmm...if the cat is attached to the stock center pipe...then what is under your car? HFC? Straight pipe?

I would first look under your car.

To me the website states that it bolts directly to the stock cat. Therefore, not removing the stock cat.

MikeW-RRE
07-28-2010, 04:20 PM
I think you are looking at your stock exhaust and seeing the stock resonator in the pipe and cornfusing it with a cat. Not every bump in the exhaust system is a catalytic converter.

Here is a pic of the HKS center pipe you are looking at. You can see the stock cat still in the stock location:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/ralliart/silly-stuff/stockcatisstillthere.jpg

Stock cat is way forward:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/ralliart/tech/catback-cat.jpg

Mike W

jjrally85
07-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks Mike! You're right, the rep from HKS responded that it is the resonator on my stock pipe, and not the cat. I'm glad there are knowledgeable people out there who are willing to help. I upgraded to my RA from a 97 jetta, so I'm pretty new to the performance scene.