PDA

View Full Version : Engine Knock

Ociderous
08-04-2010, 03:58 PM
First off, hello to all.
I purchased my RA about 2 mo. ago and ever since have noticed tons of knocking and pinging coming from the engine. I always fuel with premium and only go to mobile, shell or 76. Oil is fine and checked once a week. So my question to you guys is, is this normal? Has anyone else noticed this with their ride?
Also keep in mind that I'm aware of the noise coming from the trans and ABS.

MikeW-RRE
08-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Mods?

Mileage?

Location?

Mike W

Ociderous
08-05-2010, 07:06 AM
@ mike, i have 2000 miles clocked. San diego. Hks exhaust.
But the thing is, i noticed this from the begining.

MTZL
08-05-2010, 08:50 AM
@ mike, i have 2000 miles clocked. San diego. Hks exhaust.
But the thing is, i noticed this from the begining.

you need more miles & time.
All the new cars I had driven knock & ping (Rentals & test drives)
I think it has to do with when mfg tune the car they tuned it on higher octane than we get at the pump. IMHO.

I had my RA for alit over a year.
It doesnt knock or ping anymore.
Get it Custom tuned you'll see more power & better gas mileage & will help with knocks & pings.
ECU need to adapt to crappy pisstane gas @ pump.
Just a guess.

Ociderous
08-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Good lookin out fellas.

MikeW-RRE
08-08-2010, 08:51 AM
To see if it is real knock from the engine, you could put in some 100 octane and see if it goes away.

You should also check your boost level somehow.

It you can get it up here to RRE I can log it to see what it is doing. Maybe it is just a rattle of some sort. Lots of EVO Xs and RalliArts knock quite a bit. But it isnt something you can actually hear. If it is to the point that you can hear it, that is pretty dangerous.

Mike W

Pollywood
02-18-2011, 11:15 AM
I dunno if anyone else has figured it out, but I had a similar knock and after taking it in, they said it was a normal noise that comes from the timing chain... could be different for others, but that was the explanation for my noise

evil03
02-18-2011, 03:22 PM
my RA knocked for like the first 10k once in a while and now its gone

caRalliArt
04-13-2011, 09:45 PM
When you say knock....your meaning a knocking noise?I believ that some people are confused and thinking that the OP is talking about actual engine knock. This could be really serious if The OPcan actually here real engine knock.For his sake I hope that he is just reffering to a noise that sounds like a knock. But in the case that hes talking about a noise....i believe that the clutch chatter noise is normal.I have 15000 miles and I always here a noise that sounds like clutch chatter.On the other hand if the OP is talking about actual engine knock.........Get a wideband installed asap.run higher octane gas.retard timing till you get it to stop knocking.

caRalliArt
04-13-2011, 09:46 PM
woops......sry I just realized this is an older thread amd i think I was being stupid.The OP meant knocking noise.The title should be changed to engine knocking NOISE.completely different things.

racerx43269
09-14-2011, 04:39 PM
woops......sry I just realized this is an older thread amd i think I was being stupid.The OP meant knocking noise.The title should be changed to engine knocking NOISE.completely different things.

my evo has..... 5k on it ... and I have injector tapping, as well as some slight knock at idle.... it is normal..

IF you have SST trannsmission... and you look closely when you gun it ( in any mode) you will notice the rpms just 100 rpms before it actually goes... that is also normal... its the way the transmission is built