PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler Issues

wwralliart77
09-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Hey guys, so I've been having some issues with my intercooler setup. I'm currently running the T1R UICP and LICP along with an aftermarket 3.5 inch core intercooler. The coupler connecting my UICP to the intercooler has torn and popped quite a few times. This has happened around 20 psi if it helps. Anyhow I'm tired of buying pricey 4-ply couplers for them to keep being replaced and I want a permanent fix. My intercooler does have a manufacturer defect that could be a contributing factor; my upper outlet pipe on the intercooler itself is bent. That's the way I got it and the manufacturer won't cover it :mad: I said screw it though, I paid $400 and I ain't about to not put it on. Also the intercooler didn't come with any mounting brackets and is only being held via the pipes themselves. My IC doesn't sag or anything though. Anyhow I talked to my local exhaust shop any they said that they can cut the bent pipe on the intercooler and weld me a new aluminum piece or that they can weld my UICP to the intercooler itself via a aluminum piece. Any thoughts on this, weld no weld? I at least would want to get the bent pipe fixed. Just tired of not being able to gun it without worrying about my car f'in up. I mean that's why I bought the car, to go fast. Any feedback is appreciated!

MTZL
09-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Having FMIC just hanging by couplers to ICP is a bad idea.
Contributing factor in leak & couplers popping out.

Mount the FMIC the right way.
FMIC has two mounting brackets at the bottom & two rubber bracket should be holding the side posts coming out of FMIC. FMIC should not move or swag at all.

Get better clamps.
4-ply silicone should not be the problem.
If you got the 4ply sillicone used maybe it was already torn.
Somehow that bent outlet may be cutting your coupler from vibration.

That bent FMIC upper outlet pipe is your main problem from you've described.
Get the FMIC upper outlet thats bent fix. However it may be done.

DO NOT WELD THE UICP TO FMIC. I think thats a bad idea.
But its your car, your parts, in the end its your decision.

wwralliart77
09-02-2010, 09:30 AM
@ MTZL Thanks for the input. In my first post I mentioned that the FMIC I purchased did not come with mounting brackets so I'd have to get some custom made. Since there was no brackets to begin with my only choice was to have the FMIC be held in place by the IC pipes themselves. It is secure and doesn't hang as I mentioned in my first post. The couplers do not tear or pop from the IC hanging, it is a result of high boost pressures that results in the tearing or popping of the coupler. I never buy used always new! My couplers are 4-ply and were pricey, not the cheap autozone crap. I don't think I'm gonna have the pipes welded to the intercooler; it was an idea a guy at the exhaust shop had. I am however going to have the bent pipe fixed. I have to buy a 3 inch aluminum pipe and have it TIG welded on my intercooler to replace the bent pipe. I'll keep the post updated as I seek a permanent fix for this issue.

MTZL
09-02-2010, 11:10 AM
idk how competent the exhaust shop is but you should look into welding a bracket in place to match mounting points on your FMIC, dont leave it hanging by ICP & couplers.
Do you have the rubber mounting loops that holds the mid/upper part of FMIC?
Do you have any pics???

I dont shop @ autozone everything there is crap!
Do they even have 4-ply Silicone @ autozone??

wwralliart77
09-02-2010, 04:48 PM
@ MTZL The exhaust shop I went to is more of a fabrication shop but they specialize in performance exhaust/upgrades. Anyhow they fixed my bent pipe by rounding it out with a machine they had. Also had custom brackets welded on. It seems to working fine now and I can definitely feel that my power is back :D. As far as Autozone, I only used it as a reference didn't say you shopped there! ;) Here's a few pics of the before and after.

TheBlackBeast
09-03-2010, 10:27 PM
No wonder your piping was popping off! Hard to get a good seal on a pipe dented like that - no matter how hard you tighten the clamps. From the location of the dent on the pipe, I would have suspected damage from shipping - did you inspect the box before opening it?

wwralliart77
09-04-2010, 01:37 AM
@ TheBlackBeast Yes I inspected the package before opening it and all seemed legit. It was surrounded by foam and was wrapped up really nice. Once I started unwrapping everything is when I noticed the bent pipe. I was kinda in a rush to install it since I was getting tuned the next day. So I kinda told myself F' it, it'll still work so I went ahead with the installation. I did contact the seller who to no surprise would not cover the damage. Don't think it was damaged during the shipping process. I mean those pipes are a mission to bend; I had to use a special machine to round the bend back out. I honestly think it was a manufacturer defect that they decided to ship out anyway. Anyhow glad it's all fixed and out of the way.