PDA

View Full Version : I could use some help with my ev turbo upgrade

jsurfdog
09-24-2010, 09:48 PM
I just got my Ralliart back from tuner after the Evo Turbo upgrade, it was down 50 hp from the tune I had on it with the Ralliart turbo. The tuner believes the intake is the problem, we are using what looks like a short ram intake and it gets hot in that engine bay.

With the Original (small) Ralliart turbo and with the following mods:

Evo X intercooler
hard UIC and LIC pipes (Utlimate racing)
Ultimate Racing 3" turbo back exhaust
K&N filter

It was tuned to put out 252 HP on the dyno.

Same dyno, now with:

Evo X turbo, ported housing by Forced Performance
Evo X exhaust manifold, ported by Forced Performance
Megan Racing turbo outlet
GST boost controller - 3 port
Forge wastegate actuator
Evo X intercooler
Ultimate Racing 3" down pipe and high flow metal cat ( the OEM cat-back was but back on due to high noise levels.)
OEM muffler modified by removing internal flapper valve
K&N cone "short ram" filter

This set up is only making about 200 HP. Boost holding steady at 1.3 bar, which inexplicably dropped from 1.5 bar held on first two dyno runs.

Clearly something is wrong. With this set up, even with stock, but modified, muffler we should be making in excess of 300 HP. We have put an all stop to further tuning until a more appropriate intake system can be fitted. We are looking at CAI or one with a box. Of course the original battery will have to be replaced by small dry cell.

Any suggestions on intake?

Tuner is asking for help with MIVEC curve as well. Anyone got one to share?

thanks.

hackerrei
09-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Try a run with the stock intake and a high flow drop in filter.
Or take it to RRE for a pro custome tune and PM Mike he should know more about whats up.

MTZL
09-28-2010, 06:03 PM
I just got my Ralliart back from tuner after the Evo Turbo upgrade, it was down 50 hp from the tune I had on it with the Ralliart turbo. The tuner believes the intake is the problem, we are using what looks like a short ram intake and it gets hot in that engine bay.

With the Original (small) Ralliart turbo and with the following mods:

Evo X intercooler
Ultimate Racing 3" turbo back exhaust
K&N filter

It was tuned to put out 252 HP on the dyno.

Same dyno, now with:

Evo X turbo, ported housing by Forced Performance
Evo X exhaust manifold, ported by Forced Performance
Megan Racing turbo outlet
GST boost controller - 3 port
Forge wastegate actuator
Evo X intercooler
Ultimate Racing 3" down pipe and high flow metal cat ( the OEM cat-back was but back on due to high noise levels.)
OEM muffler modified by removing internal flapper valve
K&N cone "short ram" filter

This set up is only making about 200 HP. Boost holding steady at 1.3 bar, which inexplicably dropped from 1.5 bar held on first two dyno runs.

Clearly something is wrong. With this set up, even with stock, but modified, muffler we should be making in excess of 300 HP. We have put an all stop to further tuning until a more appropriate intake system can be fitted. We are looking at CAI or one with a box. Of course the original battery will have to be replaced by small dry cell.

Any suggestions on intake?

Tuner is asking for help with MIVEC curve as well. Anyone got one to share?

thanks.

Have you done Boost leak test???
R u using the stock RA bov??? upgrade to EVO X bov or 9 bov or Synapse BOV or Go fast bit bov.
Get rid of the SRI its point-less, CAI is a waste of money too with little to no gain. Put your stock RA intake back on for now until you get CAI or whatever floats your boat.

To me it sounds like something is leaking...try tightening everything to spec. with torque wrench.

MikeW-RRE
09-29-2010, 12:36 AM
Maybe the wastegate actuator arm on the EVO X turbo is loose and needs more preload? Or the actuator (gold can with the vacuum fitting) could be bent from the turbo getting donked around. Beyond that, dead turbo, boost leak, 3 port hooked up backwards, tuning the wrong tables, sock in the intake, potato in the tail pipe... sounds like a farily rookie tooner on the job. It is an earn as you learn project? 100 hp down is a lot to not have an idea why (other than the lame hope that it is the hot air causing a 100 hp drop :-P ).

Have you ever heard of someone losing 100 whp from a short ram intake (answer: NO)

Mike W

MTZL
09-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Yeah I've not heard of SRI losing 100hp, Intake isnt the problem.
I would do a process of elimination..
Check
Forged Wastegate?
Ported EVO X Turbo
Ported EM
Double check all your ICPs, clamps, & couplers
Megan Racing turbo outlet (is this the outler elbow? from turbo to UICP part?)
What kinda BOV you got???
I have heard Turbos failures, broken shaft, Bent blades, cracked housings...
idk how some people drive or what they do to them but I found a thread with turbo failures...

http://evoempire.org/index.php?/topic/9446-turbocharger-failure-thread/page__pid__163413#entry163413

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc149/SeanatFFTEC/At%20the%20shop/Turbocharger%20failures/P1000559.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc149/SeanatFFTEC/At%20the%20shop/Turbocharger%20failures/FPBlackfailure.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc149/SeanatFFTEC/At%20the%20shop/Turbocharger%20failures/FPBlackfailurepart1.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc149/SeanatFFTEC/At%20the%20shop/Turbocharger%20failures/FPBlackfailurepart2.jpg

hackerrei
09-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Wow those blades look a little chipped and bent.
How many miles and what type of driving style?