PDA

View Full Version : exhaust leak and warranty fun

highcaliber
10-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Well, looks like I've got an exhaust leak.
First started noticing it about a month ago, when I first start up. It gets quieter and then goes away when the exhaust is good and hot and the the metal has expanded but until the engine warms up I can hear a 'puffing' behind the engine. I haven't pulled the heat shield off of the exhaust manifold and turbo yet to see exactly where it's coming from, but it's there.

Here's the real problem: I don't know if they'll cover it under warranty. I think the previous owner of the car high-centered it on something and TKO'd the oil pan. You can tell it's been replaced, because it had been sealed with red RTV :P Also, there are a number of pretty good scrapes on the plastic undertray and subframe areas.

I've heard from other Mitsubishi owners around here that the local dealership is notorious for not covering warrany claims - they'll use any excuse they can to not help you out. Seems an accident like that, where the exhaust might have taken a hit, could be a good reason to not touch it.

So, if they don't want to cover it I'm more than capable of doing it myself, but let me ask this: How much of a honey is this to do, given that I don't have a lift in my garage? I'm not talking about the actual procedure, but things like certain fastners which are a real doozy to get to, studs that like to snap off, etc.

highcaliber
10-12-2010, 07:18 PM
So...
Pulled the heat shield. 3 of the 4 bolts mounting the turbo to the manifold were loose, 2 had vibrated around and have damaged threads.

Good times. At least it's an easy fix.

MTZL
10-28-2010, 01:05 AM
Im glad you got it taken care of. Sounds like your RA had a upgraded turbo at one point.