PDA

View Full Version : low pressure warning in rain

RocketRay
10-07-2010, 08:04 AM
So yesterday it was raining, and I go out to get lunch and the low tire pressure warning comes on. I inspect the tires, they all appear normal, so I figure I'll inflate them at home. On the drive home the indicator goes out, probably because the heat brought the pressure back up. Then this morning, no rain, no pressure indicator.

So what happened? Does the rain affect the sensor somehow?

MTZL
10-07-2010, 08:32 AM
So yesterday it was raining, and I go out to get lunch and the low tire pressure warning comes on. I inspect the tires, they all appear normal, so I figure I'll inflate them at home. On the drive home the indicator goes out, probably because the heat brought the pressure back up. Then this morning, no rain, no pressure indicator.

So what happened? Does the rain affect the sensor somehow?

Yeah, when it gets cold (not necessarily the rain) pressure drops & when the tires heat up it brings it back up. Bump up your tire pressure. What psi are you on?

RocketRay
10-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Back in May the indicator came on and I bumped them all up to the recommended in the doorjamb. Suppose I should do another bump up again tho.

MTZL
10-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Back in May the indicator came on and I bumped them all up to the recommended in the doorjamb. Suppose I should do another bump up again tho.

Actually you want to follow the rated spec on the tires (stock yoko has 40psi max warning) I've been told to use 40psi @ autox but on daily driving 40psi will put alot more wear on your tires. I was @ 32psi for autox & it clearly shows side wall wear.
Im @ 38psi all the way around right now. fyi. Wear pattern on the tires looks better & it doesnt show wear at the outter edge of the tires anymore.
You should bump it up to at least 35psi & watch your tire wear & pump more air if the wear goes to the outter edge.