ClubRalliart.com

ClubRalliart.com (http://www.clubralliart.com/index_forum.php)
-   2009+ Lancer Ralliart Tech Talk and Power Mods (http://www.clubralliart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   *** Official Ultimate Racing Ralliart Exhaust Thread (http://www.clubralliart.com/showthread.php?t=1200)

Ralliart23 01-15-2011 11:06 PM

*** Official Ultimate Racing Ralliart Exhaust Thread

5 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, so after a long and hard process of choosing the exhaust to put on my car, I finally choose to go with the ultimate racing system. The process of choosing was really hard, and I'm making this thread in efforts to educate future exhaust buyers on the ultimate racing system, as there wasn't a solid, in depth review done on the exhaust that i could find. I learned that its very hard to choose an exhaust based on youtube videos, so this thread is a little bit more to go by. Also, it seemed to me that every exhaust owner on the web doing a review or talking about there exhaust only talked good about their system. "How's the borla man!?" "oh its the best man" "hows the UR," "man, its unreal, definitely the best!" etc, so i plan on being as unbias as i possibly can, and share the truth about the exhaust, not just sugar coat it to make myself feel better about the purchase. (and by no means is that a stab at anyone, honestly)

http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Produ...lCatback.shtml

Customer Service

What can I say, dealing with ultimate racing was most definitely a good experience. Darryl was very quick to answer his emails, might has well been instant messenger, and was also very patient as I had millions of questions and inquiries about the system. Overall, a great dude. He helped me out big time too. By simply asking him if there was a deal if you bought the cat back exhaust, high flow cat, and downpipe all together, he knocked a hundred bucks off the price, and included the gasket sets (which are usually additional charges), essentially making the downpipe free. That helped out a lot since I was on a tight budget. He gave me no trouble at all. Since, I live in Toronto, i was able to pick the exhaust right up from the warehouse to avoid shipping fees. I was unsure about which options to get on the exhaust as there are many variations, resonator, mini mufflers, both, etc., and he ensured me that if later down the road i decided i wanted a mini muffler added, he could work out another deal with me. Again, a very pleasant experience.

Fitment

There were absolutely no fitment problems whatsoever with the exhaust, everything bolted on just as promised, with no modifications needed. It was as simple as out with the old, and in with the new. The tips are perfectly centered, and all the hangers and mounts lined up perfectly as well.

Quality / Condition when Received

The exhaust is made of stainless steel, t 404 if im not mistaken, and is very high quality. The first thing i remember saying in my head when i received it was, "This is heavy duty sh**" (though the exhaust itself is in no means heavy). The welding, mandrel bending, cutting etc, is all very precisely done, which provides the amazing fitment as stated above. When i got the exhaust, there were two small scratches on the tips of the tips, but it didnt bother me at all, the things now hanging from my car going on dirt roads and such.

Sound

I got the exhaust with only the resonator option, and I can swear by this when i say it, it is one mean sounding mother. The exhaust is a very low pitch sound at low rpms, and breaks out into a higher pitch once over about 3000 rpms, something i found the borla didn't do, as the borla maintains its deep pitch longer. No youtube video on the planet does this exhaust justice, and i wouldn't advise you to base our decision on buying any exhaust on videos. I got lucky because i really like the sound, but it sounds very different in my mind in real life then in youtube videos. For one, it is a lot louder then they made it seem, but at the same time, it isn't obnoxiously loud. It turns heads thats all i have to say. At specific RPMS there are considerable amounts of drone in the cabin, and sometimes an evident vibration noticeable in your seat, and buzz in your center console. This only seems to happen upon acceleration though, as there is no drone/vibrations when driving at constant speeds highway, or city. Everytime i turn my car on, i am taken by surprise by a wonderful exhaust note; im still not used to it being there. Im not sure yet, but i might consider adding the mini muffler to the exhaust in the future to try and get rid of the remaining drone, and vibrations. Darryl told me that the mini muffler only lowers the volume and does not compromise the exhaust tone, which is very good to know. Id advise anyone who is buying this exhaust to buy it with both the resonator, and mini muffler options.

HP Gains

I have yet to dyno after the installation of my exhaust, so i can not provide you with any figures just yet, though UR does advertise the exhaust as producing hp gains of 10 over stock just by bolting it on. This is only the cat back though, so i am assuming mine would be more as i got the high flow cat and downpipe as well. I don't know if it is all in my head, or if it is true, but I feel as if my throttle response has quickened and the car is more powerful, even my girlfriend said something about it, but i guess only time will tell until i dyno.

Overall Thoughts and Feelings

I do not regret this exhaust one bit, i love the sound and the look. UR was a pleasure to deal with, the exhaust went on easy, and fits great. Again, i do not advise anyone to base their decisions on what exhaust to buy based on videos, as you may be able to get a little idea of what they sound like, but its nothing like real life. Id say find someone who has one in your area and even if its a half an hour drive or so, make the trip to go hear what it sounds like. If your about to spend the sort of money exhaust companies want, driving to see it first isn't a bad thing to do. Lastly, if you are going to get it, Id strongly suggest getting it with both the resonator and mini muffler options.

I will post videos later, all different angles, in cabin, drive aways etc. I will try my best to get the best sound quality clips i can, but again im not promising they will be good enough to solidly represent the exhaust for how it truly sounds. If anyone has any questions or comments feel free to ask! I had many and appreciated when they were answered, so ill try my best to answer all of yours!

PS Since i deemed this the official forum for the exhaust, other UR owners chime in, leave your thoughts and comments on your exhaust. Let people know what you think!

RalliNurse 01-16-2011 11:46 AM

Good to know...i'm trying to decide between UR and RRE custom...but money is a major concern for me though...anyways...post sound clip...cant wait to hear how UR sounds...

Ralliart23 01-16-2011 03:01 PM

yeah im working on some vids right now, im super busy this week though, so expect them by this weekend coming up! good to know your interested in the UR!

Jackal 01-16-2011 11:16 PM

Hi, first off nice write up and all I can say is my experience basically mirrored yours. I also delt with Darryl and it was shipped out via UPS to Winnipeg. When I picked up the box brought out to the car and told the guy o.k where is the rest? He said that's it. I said what? That was only 1 box and maybe only weighed about 35 lbs. I said look buddy I am here to pick up a complete exhuast sytem for my car. He showed me the paperwork with only 1 box showing. LOL !

Anyway I did a year worth of research and actually checked out about 5 different exhaust shops locally because I thought this would be cheaper. What I saw was plain steel pipe being bent and ugly weld jobs and fart can or giant tractor mufflers. The higher ends shops wanted big dollars for stainless and even more money to have mandrel bent. Then genaric flanges being welded on and of course having to fill gaps with weld probably causing flow disruptions inside the pipe. Oh and get this their idea of a high flow cat was simply to gut the stock one and put it back on. This of course throws out the sensor and creates a check engine light and guess what the code is gonna tell the dealership?

Bad Idea ! Spend the money and get a system designed to fit your car and improve the flow,look and sound. The UR just dosen't just sound good it looks good, fits good and I don't want to sugar coat it but other than the fact it does rattle the inside plastic a bit when the car is cold and the drone can get to you on long trips if you happen to have to ride in the back seat. I just can't really think of anything bad to say about it.

Bottom line everyone is gonna have their own opinion as to what brand etc is best. What I can say is before you buy, find someone in your area who has a car like yours with the exhaust you want and take them out for coffee etc.. and ask your questions. If you don't like the answers cross that one off your list and move on to the next one and repeat as necessary. Take a look under their car do all the hangers line up does it hang down too far are their excessive bends.

My opinion is that your car came with dual out let, don't make it look funny by going to a single out let. If you insist on this at least get a new rear finish pc so it looks natural. Don't go with after market drum mufflers that are the same design as the stock one you just took off. What do you think it does to the flow when you put tight 90 or 180 deg bends. You want the path from turbo to tailpipe to be as straight as possible.

Anyway as you can tell I am rambling yet again LOL !

2muchboost 01-17-2011 12:10 AM

I'm running just the performance muffler for now and absolutely love it!

ralli_kid 01-17-2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2muchboost (Post 11978)
I'm running just the performance muffler for now and absolutely love it!

Anthony's exhaust sounds great =]

I <3 it =]

2muchboost 01-18-2011 08:45 AM

^^Thank you...
Cant wait to add a resonated test pipe :)

Ralliart23 01-18-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal (Post 11974)
Hi, first off nice write up and all I can say is my experience basically mirrored yours. I also delt with Darryl and it was shipped out via UPS to Winnipeg. When I picked up the box brought out to the car and told the guy o.k where is the rest? He said that's it. I said what? That was only 1 box and maybe only weighed about 35 lbs. I said look buddy I am here to pick up a complete exhuast sytem for my car. He showed me the paperwork with only 1 box showing. LOL !

Anyway I did a year worth of research and actually checked out about 5 different exhaust shops locally because I thought this would be cheaper. What I saw was plain steel pipe being bent and ugly weld jobs and fart can or giant tractor mufflers. The higher ends shops wanted big dollars for stainless and even more money to have mandrel bent. Then genaric flanges being welded on and of course having to fill gaps with weld probably causing flow disruptions inside the pipe. Oh and get this their idea of a high flow cat was simply to gut the stock one and put it back on. This of course throws out the sensor and creates a check engine light and guess what the code is gonna tell the dealership?

Bad Idea ! Spend the money and get a system designed to fit your car and improve the flow,look and sound. The UR just dosen't just sound good it looks good, fits good and I don't want to sugar coat it but other than the fact it does rattle the inside plastic a bit when the car is cold and the drone can get to you on long trips if you happen to have to ride in the back seat. I just can't really think of anything bad to say about it.

Bottom line everyone is gonna have their own opinion as to what brand etc is best. What I can say is before you buy, find someone in your area who has a car like yours with the exhaust you want and take them out for coffee etc.. and ask your questions. If you don't like the answers cross that one off your list and move on to the next one and repeat as necessary. Take a look under their car do all the hangers line up does it hang down too far are their excessive bends.

My opinion is that your car came with dual out let, don't make it look funny by going to a single out let. If you insist on this at least get a new rear finish pc so it looks natural. Don't go with after market drum mufflers that are the same design as the stock one you just took off. What do you think it does to the flow when you put tight 90 or 180 deg bends. You want the path from turbo to tailpipe to be as straight as possible.

Anyway as you can tell I am rambling yet again LOL !

yeah i agree with you on the fact that i would never go to a single tip exhaust if my car come stock with dual, makes no sense and looks weird haha. Btw, thanks jackal for answering my questions about the exhaust when buying it, it was much appreciated! you gave good solid info!

corrosiond 02-04-2011 03:09 PM

gibson performance

Gibson’s research and development manufacturing facility department uses cad cam applications to produce innovative products to meet the demands of today’s performance oriented customers. Gibson designs their products in a fully equipped research and development center with an engine chassis dynometer, computerized CNC mandrel tube benders as well as flow bench/audio test equipment. Each new Gibson exhaust system must pass quality and performance evaluations before it’s produced. Exacting specifications assure the installer and purchaser that all Gibson exhaust systems fit properly and produce specified benefits.

GAbOS 02-04-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corrosiond (Post 13151)
gibson performance

Gibson’s research and development manufacturing facility department uses cad cam applications to produce innovative products to meet the demands of today’s performance oriented customers. Gibson designs their products in a fully equipped research and development center with an engine chassis dynometer, computerized CNC mandrel tube benders as well as flow bench/audio test equipment. Each new Gibson exhaust system must pass quality and performance evaluations before it’s produced. Exacting specifications assure the installer and purchaser that all Gibson exhaust systems fit properly and produce specified benefits.

This is the "Official Ultimate Racing Ralliart Exhaust Thread"

Mod, please relocate this to a proper location.