View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Default Info: Modding your RA!

(Courtesy of Exyia)
Source: http://forums.evolutionm.net/09-rall...g-your-ra.html

I'm bored off work so I decided to share this write that I normally just send to local guys.

Frequently, there are so many misguided suggestions posted in these forums about what to do to the Ralliart. I think a basic knowledge-base like this should help people in making decisions!

The Ralliart comes with a great engine, transmission, and AWD system, but every bolt-on piece inbetween is a bit lacking. In essence, for the Ralliart, you paid for the essentials.

Let's first start with the basic mechanics/flow of the car to understand how it works and each pieces function:

- Incoming air is first fed through the intake
- The intake then filters that air, then feeds it to the turbo for compression
- The turbo compresses the air, then sends it out on top through the Upper Intercooler Pipe (UICP - the black hose)
- The compressed air is then cooled by the Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC). This is to cool the air as much as possible - remember that hot air expands and cold air is more dense. You always want cold and dense air for the most power
- After air is cooled by the FMIC, it is fed through the Lower Intercooler Pipe (LICP) to the throttlebody, intake manifold, and then the engine. So the air that was compressed through the turbocharger passes through a cooling phase with the intercooler, before it is actually used in the engine
- As exhaust gases leave the engine, it spins the turbo's turbine. This is creating the "spool" of the turbo, and spins the other wheel (compressor) that compresses the air coming from the air intake

This will be updated and added to over time. Feel free to pm or post questions you might have!

Last edited by MTZL; 01-13-2012 at 11:50 AM.