View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rall1art View Post
I would love for someone to give some information. I'm doing a turbo swap and nobody can tell me specifically what the limits are of this SST. Some fail at 300tq and some are ok above that. I'm going to sell my car if there isnt a solution to get more then 300
There is a solution. Upgrade your transmission. The stock unit can hold more than 300 ft/lbs. Ask me how I know.

I have said this before, and I will say it again. The initial failures were the result of, for the most part, incorrect tuning. If the power is delivered correctly, these cars don't appear to have a problem. I believe that the stock clutches are good for 400/400 (delivered properly and not beat on). I have a set of Kevlar clutches in development that should raise that number to 500/500 (even with a little abuse). SSP makes clutch packs that will boost that number up to 800/800. I have even heard that Exedy (I think that that is correct) is about to release a set of clutches that bumps that up even higher (for a much higher cost).

The reality is that there are several things that go into the longevity of these transmissions. One is fluid pressure and viscosity. With better fluid, you will see lower overall temperatures and better response times during disengagement and re-engagement of the clutches. SSP also makes an upgraded seal kit. This will allow for higher fluid pressure to develop within the transmission. That wasn't an original idea. This kind of thing has been done with other cars for a while now. Mitsubishi is late to this game.

If you are really concerned about your transmission, start looking at other forums pertaining to cars with similar platforms. There are a number of Audi sites that discuss ways of bumping up your transmission performance. The GT-R has a similar transmission. Some of their ideas are already being applied to the RA and MR.

I have been looking into replacement solenoids for the transmission for a while now. That is being taken care of, as well.

The bottom line is that the information that you are looking for is out there. Not all of it is on forums in this country (hint hint).

Your motor will fail before your transmission will at the power levels.