View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 03:13 PM

On my Dynapack DP6000 dyno the torque is directly and quite accurately measured at _each_ axle. HP is then calculated based on RPM. I think the bloggers have things cornfused a bit.

By measuring torque directly at the wheels you will of course be estimating torque applied directly to the transmission. But that is pretty easy by looking at the numbers from a stock car. You compare the dyno numbers from what ever dyno you are using and the manufacture's numbers and you have your difference. Done.

When tuning by directly flashing the ECU you have access to all the torque limiting tables. As you raise the power you also raise the boost limits and torque and air flow limits. If you are tuning with gadgets that try to fool the ECU by limiting the boost pressure the ECU sees, you can hit these limits in certain conditions.

On the EVO X MRs I have tuned, at the request of the owners we kept the peak torque low by limiting boost till about 4,500 rpm. HP can still be well into the 300s while keeping torque to 300 at the wheels.

I also suspect that Mitsubishi and Getrag are keeping numbers conservative to keep everyone properly scared to help limit their warranty exposure. I would do the same thing if I were them :-P

Mike W