View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 05:22 PM

Default OCD about geometry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTZL View Post
Excellent input Uemoto-JP.

I can say with front & rear sway bars alone makes a world of difference.
I can carry twice the speed as before with just stickier tires and the rest of the suspensions left stock.

I am curious about the bushing creating toe in understeer, i need a visual reference.

Great discovery, anticipating your pics.
I totally agree, these cars should come from the factory with these larger front and rear bars. It doesn't add any ride harshness that I can perceive (or care about).

Stock arms off the car: if I can put a rod thru the bushing hole and move it spatial around by hand (not just up and down as how the suspension would compress), its probable moving under load on the car. It's the same as me physically grabbing the rear differential and moving it by hand (which you should try!). The engine is probable moving it more!

The trouble is as a top shelf daily driver, it's an excellent car. It's just that I'm terribly OCD about suspension geometry changes that I don't agree with. In the last couple years, auto manufactures has used bushing compliance as a tuning tool, mostly to keep drivers out of trouble. Hence, the strange and difficult "vertical" bushing you see on some cars (Subaru and Mitsubishi). It allows the rear of the lower arm to move back and forth under a levering load introduced by the outside ball joint, which changes the toe. Toe-in if the arm is pulled back, toe-out if the ram is pulled forward.
This same thing happens in the rear swing arm assembly, look at the rear frontmost joint, it's horrible! I have the rear toe set to zero right now until something leads me otherwise.

Depending how busy I'm officiating at the race this weekend, my plan is to run some go-pro cameras on the car. It will only be outside shots as I don't have anything setup for the undercarriage. If I can snap some pictures later, I will post them. I also have a ton of video about whiteline bushing installation, some I've already posted on this forum and youtube.