View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTZL View Post
The front suspension takes most of the abuse when cornering. FYI.
If you take hard corners you will see side wall starts to wear, when/during the load there is little response you will get from the tires (depends on the grip of the tires performance index) See > slip angle. When you apply throttle at the right moment you can oversteer/spin out even with bone stock setup.

So... since all the weigh is up front during cornering or braking, it makes some sense.
For people wondering about all this...

Before the mods, I would get tremendous tire rollover halfway up the sidewall, but that was if I overcooked the corner. Now I hardly get any in the same situations. The tire I'm using are high performance all season tires which aren't really desirable, but that's what I have, next year will be different.

Now that I have mad caster up front and almost 2 degrees of static camber, I can tell that I have way more traction up front. The car feels more neutral, and under steer is almost gone. I can rotate under power a tad, but not excessive, and slip angle under high-speed cornering is good. The car feels very stable. Now you can be cheap and install just a larger rear bar, but what's actually happening is that you are now making the rear the same as the front, and your tracking of the car is actually an increased turning circle now. You have to increase the front traction through better tire contact patch management.

Now remember, I'm still an amateur in all this, but I've done enough research to know where I'm going with this. Plus, my feeling of the vehicle has absolutely changed for the better. I tend to drive like its an FR setup, but earlier power aplication in the corner due to 4wd. I should point out that every driver likes a different setup, so what I'm using may not be exactly ideal for someone else. Now with that out of the way, the stock caster setup in the ralliart is absolutely garbage, get it changed!

I did install the largest whiteline front and rear bars that are sold. That does help with body roll. There is still body roll if you have the stock springs installed, but it is reduced in a hard corner. The lowering springs installed by myself and most people exacerbat roll problems. If they are "progressive rate" springs, the car has to take up the slack in the spring before you actually hit the hard bump stops in the car. I've researched this and experienced it, I actually reinstalled the stock springs and ordered replacement, shorter, front progressive bump stops, to eliminate front instantaneous weight transfer (under steer).

Sorry if this is so technical, I'll probably do a video because its easier and more informative.

If I've said anything incorrect, please let me know.

YouTube video of last track day...

http://youtu.be/3fXg6kEfHQw