ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Tech Articles and HOW-TOs

Old 08-19-2011, 10:00 PM

Default HOW TO: Install Hella Horns on Your Lancer (No Relay YAY)

Looking online at all the different forums and threads on hella-horns I found that lots of questions were unanswered and there wasn't a detailed how-to with pictures and tips for the install. I've always wanted to install hellas, its the child coming out of me, so i finally broke down, bought them and wired them up.

Before you install a couple notes:
-Know how to remove your front bumper
-Know how to do very basic wiring
-I used 18 gauge wire for mine and it worked perfectly fine (lots of people use 12 gauge but you don't need to go that thick)
-Since we aren't using the relay and are using the stock horn power lines for power you may blow your stock fuse. the stock horn fuse is rated at 10 amps and these horns are 30 amps. Currently I'm using mine on the stock fuse and they are working fine and it hasn't blown yet, but if you do this install switch the horn fuse (located in the engine bay fuse box) to a 30 amp fuse so that it doesn't blow one day while using the horn on the road. (the guy i talked to before i installed everything said him and his buddy have both been using theirs for months on the stock 10 amp fuse with no problems, which is fine and if it works then all the better, but to be safe in the long run and to avoid having to be without a horn for a couple days while you buy a new fuse, switch to a 30 amp fuse)

I hope this helps all you guys who are interested in this!

LETS BEGIN!

First thing i would say to do is choose which colour you want them. They come red stock as most of you probably know, but as i do and probably many of you do to, i have a certain colour scheme going on with my car, and the red just didn't fit! easy fix, i went to the hardware store and bought some self priming paint in the colour i wanted and painted the housing or grill. make sure you get paint that works on metal and is weatherproof or marked as outdoor paint. Also do multiple coats so that stones don't chip the paint! To take the housing or grill or whatever you want to call it off, just unscrew all the screws around the perimeter of the horn. Heres how they turned out:

the next thing you must do is prep the wiring on the horns. Now, on other forums, specifically a subaru one, i saw someone post that for the grounds on the horn they simply connected wire from the negative horn terminal (the copper coloured one) and then directly to the bolt on the back of the horn itself like this:

I tried this and it did not work so don't waste your time! Just connect your ground wire whichever way you want to the negative horn terminal (i soldered mine but you can use the clamp things) and then shrink-tube it for protection. Once this is done on both the horns, you are ready to go to your car that has its front bumper already taken off for mounting.

FIRST HORN:

For the first hella horn, mount it in the same spot the original horn was bolt in place. It is actually the perfect spot:

The only problem with this spot is there is a small tab that sticks out, that only allows you to mount the horn bracket such that it is 90 degrees to the beam and perpendicular to the ground. i am pointing to it in this picture. Simple fix: bend it out of the way with pliers:

once the tab is bent out of the way, you can easily mount the horn to the body using the same screw that held the stock horn bracket in place.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:01 PM

once the tab is bent out of the way, you can easily mount the horn to the body using the same screw that held the stock horn bracket in place. when that is all said and done, you must ground the ground wire you already attached to the horn. I used this screw circled in pink because it was close which meant less wire and less a mess:

to provide power to the first horn, simply slide the connector that powered the stock horn off the terminal, and slide it onto the positive terminal of the hella horn (the silver terminal)

congratulations, the first horn is done! Now onto the second.

SECOND HORN:

the second is a little more difficult to mount. I was going for the subaru look when mounting my horns, meaning the close together, symmetrical, centre grill look so i had to do some modifications to the bracket provided with the horn. If you unscrew the nut on the back side of the hella horns to release the bracket, you'll notice that the bracket is actually comprised of 3 skinny brackets pressed together. One is strong enough to hold the horn, and one is all you will need to mount the second horn.

the best prexisting bolt i could find to mount the second hella to required me to alter the bracket that came with the hella horns. I took two pliers, grabbed the bracket by either side with either set of pliers, heated the center of the bracket up with a torch, and twisted the bracket into the shape that was necessary to mount the horn. Heres what it looked like afterwards:

and this is where i mounted it (by simply unscrewing the existing bolt and bolting it down):

if you are not looking at the car in real life you might ask why the bend is necessary as from the picture it seems you could just bolt the bracket on straight, but the spot in which it is bolt on is actually angled towards the cabin of the car so the bend in the bracket is necessary to mount the horn so it is parallel with the grill and perpendicular to the ground.

once you do this and mount the second horn and bracket, ground the second horn's ground wire. I used this screw (again just because its close meaning a short piece of wire and cleaner install):

Last edited by Scarab23; 08-19-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:04 PM

To get power to the second horn, locate your second stock horn. it should be located on the passenger side down by the windshield wiper fluid tank. remove the stock horn and pull the power wire off the terminal. the power wire to the second stock horn runs inside a black housing along with other wires that go in that direction. The black housing that it runs in has a slit that runs the length of the wire that you can pull the inside wires out of. You will have to cut the zip-ties that hold this black housing to the crash beam and then pull the power wire back until it has enough room to reach the second hella horn's positive terminal. Should look something like this:

Connect this to the positive of the second hella. Re zip-tie the black wire housing down to the crash beam for a clean install. Now both your horns are operational and ready to go!…………… Or are they??

Theres one last modification left to make this work!

The plastic weather shield thing you take out of your engine bay when removing the bumper has a section that sticks down and when you try to slide it back into place, the second Hella-Horn you mounted gets in its way. This section:

Easy Fix:

Use a Dremmel or any other cutting tool to cut a little section away to give clearance to the second hella-horn.

Snug as a bug:

Last edited by Scarab23; 08-19-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:05 PM

Here they are during Daytime:

Here they are in the day with my Blue Leds shining on them:

And here they are at night with my blue Leds shining on them:

Congrats on the Install and thanks for taking the time to read my thread!

Special Thanks to Ttsumibishi on evoxforums.com for answering my questions before my install!
Old 08-20-2011, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Very nice dude!

If I get these installed I'm just going to paint them black and mount them in the stock locations. Stealthy Hella horns FTW. But it looks great especially at night with the blue LEDs.

Oh, did I see an orange Mustang? Pics! lol
Old 08-20-2011, 08:39 AM

Great write-up with a great outcome.

The pic of the LED's at night made me
Old 08-20-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseRalli View Post
Great write-up with a great outcome.

The pic of the LED's at night made me
thanks man appreciate it!!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZero View Post
Very nice dude!

If I get these installed I'm just going to paint them black and mount them in the stock locations. Stealthy Hella horns FTW. But it looks great especially at night with the blue LEDs.

Oh, did I see an orange Mustang? Pics! lol
yeah, thats my dads shelby super snake. here are some pics:

enjoy!!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:15 AM

zomg! What a sexy looking Stang. I miss mine, but then I don't.

2010 WW Sedan
Custom RRE ABE
Cosworth Drop-in Filter
EvoX FMIC and UICP
ExoX BOV
Old 08-25-2011, 12:12 AM

Awesome write up, will definitely be using this soon!