ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 03-04-2016, 10:01 PM

Default How to remove TC SST Transmission

I have had a run of bad luck and for the 2nd transmission in a row I believe I have lost shift fork 4 as least based on the codes that were pulled from TCU at this time. I was simply driving to school one morning on the highway when I lost all my even gears again. Car is not drivable at this time.

I have been looking for a video showing how to remove the TC SST transmission as I need to send it back to Kozmic Motorsports down in the states. If anyone knows of a link to a video like this please share otherwise I intend to removing it in my garage and maybe make my own video of what was involved.

Looking for feedback and also looking forward to removing the transmission and learning more about the car through this process.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:23 PM

Well it's been over a week, I guess no one on here has pulled out their SST transmission themselves?

I will figure it out tomorrow and maybe make a video in the process to save other Ralliart DIY guys some time in the future.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:11 PM

Can't say I have ever seen that information anywhere, but it would be of great benefit to the community if you can document the process please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Well it's been over a week, I guess no one on here has pulled out their SST transmission themselves?

I will figure it out tomorrow and maybe make a video in the process to save other Ralliart DIY guys some time in the future.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:45 AM

I was very busy working on transmission and bagging and tagging parts coming off and labeling wiring etc had 3 guys working on car with me. I also running into the house and make phone calls to Eric at Kozmic as first couple sets of documentation was hundreds of pages long Transmission is now out and documentation was finally found but next to nothing. It is a slow painful process worst transmission removal I have ever done in my 30 years of working on cars. I now see that having a hoist and special Mitsubishi retention bar assembly on top to hold and manipulate center rear engine lift point would of been very helpful.

I am starting to think I do not want to have to do the install and I am finally at the point where I might sell off the car if I have further issues with transmission.

Would be pretty hard to document as a lot of the bolts you could not see properly. You had to put your hand in feel around, then put the socket on the figure out how to get ratchet or wrench on etc.. Don't get me wrong we got it done in about 4.5 hours.
We did not have a hoist of any of the specialized tools or equipment that a Mitsubishi dealer or transmission shop might have and ended up cutting up a lot of 2 x 6 pieces of wood to support things underneath separately and we figured out afterwards we did not have to have the car as high as we did.

All in all I got to spend good quality wrenching time with good friends and we got the transmission out in half a day so I am going to call it a win!

I have the entire SST service manual but I may need to set up a drop box account or something because just that chapter of the manual is about 8 mb just by its self.

Last edited by Jackal; 03-13-2016 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:22 AM

Excellent news. Good job!

I look forward to reading the latest update.

Just for the knowledge of the community, what do you believe has caused issues with the transmission?

Quote:
I was very busy working on transmission and bagging and tagging parts coming off and labeling wiring etc had 3 guys working on car with me. I also running into the house and make phone calls to Eric at Kozmic as first couple sets of documentation was hundreds of pages long Transmission is now out and documentation was finally found but next to nothing. It is a slow painful process worst transmission removal I have ever done in my 30 years of working on cars. I now see that having a hoist and special Mitsubishi retention bar assembly on top to hold and manipulate center rear engine lift point would of been very helpful.

I am starting to think I do not want to have to do the install and I am finally at the point where I might sell off the car if I have further issues with transmission.

Would be pretty hard to document as a lot of the bolts you could not see properly. You had to put your hand in feel around, then put the socket on the figure out how to get ratchet or wrench on etc.. Don't get me wrong we got it done in about 4.5 hours.
We did not have a hoist of any of the specialized tools or equipment that a Mitsubishi dealer or transmission shop might have and ended up cutting up a lot of 2 x 6 pieces of wood to support things underneath separately and we figured out afterwards we did not have to have the car as high as we did.

All in all I got to spend good quality wrenching time with good friends and we got the transmission out in half a day so I am going to call it a win!

I have the entire SST service manual but I may need to set up a drop box account or something because just that chapter of the manual is about 8 mb just by its self.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
*crossing my fingers*

Jobless idiot...

Z
E
R
E
P
Old 03-14-2016, 04:37 PM

Anyway I see the site's self appointed Troll is back and taking another shot at me when I am in a bad situation. Moving right along.....

According to the codes downloaded it appears that once again to be a shift fork issue, the weird part was it happened while driving on the highway while upshifting. It jumped from 3rd to 5th gear and I had been driving the car for almost a half hour at this point so everything was up to normal temperatures. I was driving in S-Sport and in manual mode as per Eric at Kozmic as it was still -14 Deg Celcius at the time.

Having the upgraded 500 ft lb clutches there are actually 10 discs instead of the stock 8 disks so they are thinner and can be damaged by driving them in colder temps with less line pressure. AKA Normal or sport mode can cause excessive slippage and heat build up.

I have the transmission now out and will be building a pallet and hope to ship it back to Houston later this week. It will be interesting to see what they find. Eric had actually talked me out of doing a full rebuild as he informed me that outside of the clutches, clutch basket and related parts there wasn't anything else that could really be upgraded. Since the transmission going in was barely a year old with only 8 k for mileage and everything was working on it prior to being pulled out of the donor car there was no need to rebuild the rest of it.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:26 PM

Your bad luck gives me great joy.

Can't wait to read the thread; "RA with stupid hood mod for sale"

Z
E
R
E
P
Old 03-15-2016, 11:23 AM

Cmon lets keep it civil.

It's unfortunate that this happened to you again man, hopefully they will get her fixed for you.

Worst comes to worst, sell it get a new platform (get Focus RS), newer RA or Evo
RA - Built head - Built SST - ID1000cc - GTX3576R - GSC S2 cams - GSC beehives/Ti retainers - Timing Chain kit - ARP head studs - AMS fuel rail - AMS Widemouth dp - TurboXS exhaust - DrivenFab oil catch can - MAP oil pan - MAP cast manifold - AEM wideband - COBB 3 port EBCS - Tial QRJ - Sakura 3.5 intake - Kozmic Walbro 450 fuel pump - Depo Racing fmic/licp - TS engine/exhaust mounts - Cusco bar - D2 RS coil - Megan Racing control arms/toe - Whiteline sway bars - Brembo 6 piston

Tuned by TJ
Old 03-15-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iralli_iskustvo View Post
Cmon lets keep it civil.
Nope!

Dont call me an idiot.

z

E

R

E

p