ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 AM

Default Ground Loopp noise from pump?

I recently installed my 5ch amp and 10" sub in my WW and am getting a ground loop sound from a pump.

The noise only comes once for about 3 seconds or so and only after I start rolling after initial start-up. Since the diff reservoir is back in the trunk, can I assume this is the pump that is creating the noise and where is it located?

I plan on redoing the ground cable this weekend.I used the bolt on the left hand side of the trunk under the vacuum formed styrofoam on the left of the spare tire.

2010 WW Sedan
Custom RRE ABE
Cosworth Drop-in Filter
EvoX FMIC and UICP
ExoX BOV
Old 05-06-2011, 02:17 PM

send jackal a pm, im pretty sure i remember him saying he was pro with audio and wiring and shit haha

Smoked Lights, Vortex Generator, Red Mitsu Logos, XXR 522 18x9.5 et38, Falken fk452 235/40/18, Rally Armor Mudflaps, UR Cat Back, UR High Flow Cat, UR Downpipe, Ur UICP, AMS Intercooler, Defi Racer Boost Gauge, Defi Racer Oil Temperature Gauge, Eibach Sportlines, Rexpeed CF Hood Dampers, Rexpeed A-Pillar Gauge Pod, Rexpeed CF Duckbill Lip Spoiler
Old 05-07-2011, 08:36 PM

Yes there are some major grounding issues with our car. The main one is but does not affect everyone is the ballast used for the HID headlights. You have to run an amp kit with at least an eight gauge for 1 smaller 400 watt or less amp and at least 4 gauge or bigger if you intend on going over 500 watts or are running multiple amps.

You also need to purchase a ground Isolation module from any car audio installation place. If they don't know what your talking about run out of there because you don't want their dumb asses working on your car.

Also make sure you run a Stinger Cap AKA Capacistor to keep your amp and sub supplied with consistant power. You don't want to put a load on your stock electrical system.

Make sure you run a separate cable for both Pos 12 power as well a cable to Battery Neg terminal. Yes you can grind some paint off from some part of the car's body but now you don't control the return path and all your car's electronics now share and contibute to the ground loop effect which is now multiplied the more power you draw.

If you don't have someone familiar with car audio wiring to help you out I would get it done profesionally, but make sure you tell them all your concerns and are willing to pay for a top notch job as it requires more cable, labour and parts to do it right.
Hope this helps!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the info Jackal. I ran the power separate of course, straight from the battery down the drivers side. I don't have factory HID's so that's out of the equation. All sounds great expect for the pump noise. I was considering both a Cap and Noise Isolator anyways but just have not done them yet.

Running a length of Neg cable straight from the Batt would prolly do it though.

Thanks for the info.

2010 WW Sedan
Custom RRE ABE
Cosworth Drop-in Filter
EvoX FMIC and UICP
ExoX BOV
Old 11-09-2012, 10:28 PM

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I am having the exact same issue. I am grounded to the bulkhead on the ceiling of the trunk.

I get the same noise you describe, as well as a faint ticking noise over the speakers when I have the right turn signal on, as well as when putting my foot on and off the brake. This made me think this was a grounding issue with the amp there in the back.

I f i get a groound look isolator and run a dedicated ground from amp to battery, should the problem be fixed?

The sound is there even with RCA's unplugged, so this is my only hope.