ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 08-22-2013, 12:58 PM

Question Looking at joining the club with an '09 RA

Hey guys,

I'm new here, but I'm looking to join the club. One of my local dealers currently has a '09 RA with 58k on the odometer. Test drive reveals a pretty solid feeling drive, save for one issue.

The "service needed" message is displayed on the center display and the "ASC Off" light is on. This dealer is not a Mitsu dealer, and the nearest one is about a 2 hour drive away. The story is they're trying to get rid of the car and have lowered the price about $4k under KBB retail in hopes that someone would take it as-is, and then deal with the factory warranty at a Mitsu dealer/authorized repair shop to get the issue resolved. From this thread, it seems like it could be wheel sensor/alignment. The car did have a slight pull in the alignment. From what I can tell, the RA's come with a 60k/5 year warranty, so I know we're near the end.

Car is stock from what I can tell. 2 previous owners. No red on the carfax.

What would be the general consensus here? Should I try to deal or walk?
Old 08-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Regional Moderator

Well in ca, you can get a new 13 RA for $24k how much is yours goin for?

And if there was/is mods? the warranty might already be up? And Alignments won't be covered. So, you might be getting into a lemon.

Also, at least here in CA, the KBB is worthless, especially for older jap cars, some of which sell for double book value here.. Our cars on the other hand are probly gonna be rocks with the complicated trannies and such.. I'd try to score one new, if possible.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:07 PM

Well, they're asking $15k. Looks stock from the outside. Spent some time under the hood and looking under the car and didn't see anything, but I'm not as familiar with these as you guys.

New one is out of my reach at the moment, but I would prefer that for sure.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:47 PM

When you test drove it, did you giver the throttle 100%? dont feel afraid to do that.

The service i believe with asc off could mean the pump is broken. On the console where it says (Tarmac, gravel or snow) try to switch it. if it flashes that could mean its not working, hence the "service warning" on the center console. Ask for records on oil changes, and most importantly, the transmission fluid change.

Last edited by crak; 08-22-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:48 PM

Yes I have. Feels solid minus the misalignment. Took a buddy with me and he thought the same.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mkid Send a message via MSN to Mkid Send a message via Yahoo to Mkid

Is the abs light also on? If so, its probably a speed sensor issue. They might need to be cleaned or replaced.
D2 RS Coilovers
Evo X FMIC
Ultimate Racing turbo-back
400HP clutches from Jack's
AEM Intake

My Car Thread

From Florida? Click here!
Old 08-22-2013, 03:04 PM

I did try to change the mode, like crak said, but only the "service warning" displayed. I did not see the ABS light, but the "ASC Off" light was on. I pressed and held the "ASC Off" button for 10 seconds in park with the handbrake on, with the handbrake off, and then again in "Drive" with no change to the light.

I'm going back tomorrow for a second look. When I do, I'll ask for maintenance records.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freythman View Post
Hey guys,

I'm new here, but I'm looking to join the club. One of my local dealers currently has a '09 RA with 58k on the odometer. Test drive reveals a pretty solid feeling drive, save for one issue.

The "service needed" message is displayed on the center display and the "ASC Off" light is on. This dealer is not a Mitsu dealer, and the nearest one is about a 2 hour drive away. The story is they're trying to get rid of the car and have lowered the price about $4k under KBB retail in hopes that someone would take it as-is, and then deal with the factory warranty at a Mitsu dealer/authorized repair shop to get the issue resolved. From this thread, it seems like it could be wheel sensor/alignment. The car did have a slight pull in the alignment. From what I can tell, the RA's come with a 60k/5 year warranty, so I know we're near the end.

Car is stock from what I can tell. 2 previous owners. No red on the carfax.

What would be the general consensus here? Should I try to deal or walk?
Where you from? dealer i bought mine from has one for 16000 and its a 2010 in nj
Old 08-23-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freythman View Post
Well, they're asking $15k. Looks stock from the outside. Spent some time under the hood and looking under the car and didn't see anything, but I'm not as familiar with these as you guys.

New one is out of my reach at the moment, but I would prefer that for sure.

Try to get a new one. If that 09 was selling for $10-11k than maybe.
RA - Built head - Built SST - ID1000cc - GTX3576R - GSC S2 cams - GSC beehives/Ti retainers - Timing Chain kit - ARP head studs - AMS fuel rail - AMS Widemouth dp - TurboXS exhaust - DrivenFab oil catch can - MAP oil pan - MAP cast manifold - AEM wideband - COBB 3 port EBCS - Tial QRJ - Sakura 3.5 intake - Kozmic Walbro 450 fuel pump - Depo Racing fmic/licp - TS engine/exhaust mounts - Cusco bar - D2 RS coil - Megan Racing control arms/toe - Whiteline sway bars - Brembo 6 piston

Tuned by TJ
Old 08-24-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin1015 View Post
Where you from? dealer i bought mine from has one for 16000 and its a 2010 in nj
I'm in AR so might be a be far.

Took it for another test drive yesterday. After spending more time with it, I feel like the previous owner(s) may have smoked in it. My wife picked up on it especially. It was a big deal for her, as she's highly allergic to smoke, so the search will continue.

Last edited by freythman; 08-24-2013 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Additions