ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 10-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Regional Moderator

Default Recaro Swap thread?

does anyone here want a brief tech post about the evo X recaro swap? i couldnt find one, and I finally got my airbag light to go off, by swapping the RA passenger bracket to the X Recaro... i can take a few pix of where the separation takes place on the seat bracket.. sorry if i missed this as a posted thread, i searched and looked through our how to's

the pic shows the four posts on either side that bolt the slider to the base, thats where you make the split!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (50.6 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by Markspd6; 10-09-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Regional Moderator

ok, just the super quick how to, skipping some of the obvious details. you cannot just swap your RA seats for Recaro seats Without setting off your airbag lights.. so, to shut the CEL off basically you will be combining your original seat computer AND seat weight sensors(lower bracket) with your new recaro seat and slider(upper bracket).

apparently theyre(the seat comp and sensors) are mated at the Mfgr... and supposedly the dealer cant just reprogram them(no confirmation on this)

step one: unplug battery(10or12mm) I prefer pulling the top part over battery post part.

step two: unbolt Passenger seat(14mm) lean back onto rear seat.

step three: unplug airbag, seat sensors, Passenger seat only!

step four: On Both Seats, (RA and new Evo) you will seperate the bracket from the slider, its four nuts each side front and back(12MM) you will be keeping your original lower bracket and using the new upper bracket(slider) from the new Recaro youre installing. pretty much thats it...

to reinstall reverse the basic steps, then plug the battery back in..

i tried just swapping the smaller computer brain by itself, but that did Not reset my CEL.. i also tried swapping the seat base entirely(using Torx bits) and theres a few compatibility issues, so you can skip both those... any questions let me know, and ill try for more pix, but really its a fairly basic operation, most any member should be able to do.. just hadnt seen it posted..
Old 10-09-2012, 05:59 PM

did that last year never had problems since....btw dealer told me it will not work.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Regional Moderator

it works!!! if youre in So cal? i could help you.. but, i have no clue what the tech is? but swapping the computers alone did not do it.. so those little metal rectangles with circles in them are Tied to the computer, so you need both..

anyways, my light was on, now its off.. i got the info from another member who had this done at one local dealer after another couldnt do it, so maybe not all dealers have the exp?.. but, i promise you, for me.. so far, it works.. i even tested the pass seat sensors and the little airbag lights that go with hit..
Old 10-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Regional Moderator

Airbag light still off!! So it's workin..
Old 10-13-2012, 10:12 PM

Can't you just take the Sensors out of the stock seats and place them in new seats? I plan to buy aftermarket recaros (the ones with lumbar support) and i was just planning on modifying stuff. =p
Old 10-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Regional Moderator

Not sure what sensors you mean, Seat sensors?(usually there's one in the ass area to see if anyone's there) seatbelt sensors? Or the airbag weight sensors? On those I doubt it, they're large metal and built into the brackets, And you could possibly close the airbag loop with a resistor, but that usually fails.. I've tried it on a few steering wheels and seats, before.. supposedly evrythings synced at the time of mfgr..

My goal was to replace the OEM seats with the Evo X Recaros and not pay the $4k dealer asking price on them.. And according to some dealers, you can't swap used X seats and just reprogram the seat computer, like other things weve discovered, I'm doubting it can't be done, I'm assuming they just don't know how..
Old 03-03-2013, 08:00 PM

Mark i would need your help bro i just swaped my 2010 GTS sportback with evo x seats i live near you in IRVINE i went to huntington mitsubishi and they could not take care of the air bag service light can you help me how to do this?
thnak you
Sean
[email protected]
(714)323-1169
Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Regional Moderator

I emailed you, if it's not clear from my post? I can do the swap myself for $100, or you can use my tools driveway etc.. And ill shpw you how, for $20.. It's not too hard, but it's decent work..

Also, you must have your original passenger seat bracket, the Recaro cannot be synced..
Old 03-06-2013, 04:30 PM

Default recaro seat airbag lights

Mark i just went thru your complete post with picture and that is the only way to do it i have the 2010 GTS sportback that i was modifing to Evo x Recaro seats i changed the passenger side bracket with the sensor that came with my car and i dont have the air bag service lights.
Now everything back to normal my airbag passeger light on dash was on saying passenger airbag off i asked my wife to come and buckle up in the passenger seat the passenger airbag light turned off meaning air bag is on as soon as you have over 60 lb it is working.
Thank you so much