ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Tech Articles and HOW-TOs

Old 01-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Default Evo X intercooler upgrade for R/A: Upgrade to OEM Evo intercooler

I have a bunch of OEM and aftermarket parts from stage 1 of my Evo project. Most of them should be applicable to the RA. The metal BOV fit, along with a test pipe (for track days). Not I thought I'd see how well the intercooler would fit.

This write up will assume basic mechanical knowledge on the part of the reader as well as a familiarity with the RA. At a later point, I may go back to label every nut and bolt I pulled out, but for now, "here's hoping you know where they are/where.

The tools I used for this were:
- socket wrench
- extension
- 10mm socket
- 12mm socket
- phillips screw driver
- flat screw driver (smaller the better)

Parts used:
- Evo X intercooler
- Evo X upper intercooler pipe (oem or aftermarket will work)
- coupler for the lower intercooler pipe (red) from Road Race Engineering.

(1) Start by removing the two bolts holding down the intake's inlet pipe. Pull that off and place it to the side for now. Use the flat screw driver to pop up the 3 push tabs holding the black shroud. Remove the shroud and keep track of all the plastic tabs. Remove the 5 10mm bolts holding the top half of the bumper. The fifth one is located beneath the hood latch.

CLEAN. No one likes working on a dirty car. Clean as you go. This mess is what I found under the shroud....

(2) Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right (or left). Remove the 10mm bolt at the pint point between the bumper and the fender. Then remove the two plastic screws. Repeat on the opposite side.

(3) Jack up the car as high as you can get it on one side. USE A JACK STAND! Follow around the outside of the lip and remove all the bolts and tabs. There are 4 plastic tabs which you'll need to use the flat screw driver to pop out. The remaining bolts can be removed using a 10mm socket and wrench.

(4) Remove the two bolts on the top of the grill in the front of the car. These connect to where the blue tabs are, just in front of the intercooler.

(5) Get a stiff drink. I HATE step 5 with a passion! Reach behind the bumper where the bumper and the fender meet. At this point, the bumper is held on be plastic snaps. Take a deep breath and pull directly out. You'll hear a nasty snap (or series of snaps) (3 total). If it doesn't want to go, you aren't pulling hard enough and probably need another drink.

At this point the bumper should pretty much fall off. Don't forget to pull the electrical plug for the fog lights. This is located just under the hood latch.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:08 PM
Administrator

(6) With the bumper off, you have access to the two bolts under the intercooler. Remove these with a 12mm socket. At the point, the intercooler is only being held on by the couplers and the rubber donuts. Unscrew the hose clamps on the couplers and slide the donuts off the side of the support pegs.

**Size Matters**

Almost twice as big.

Same thickness.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:17 PM
Administrator

(7) Use the coupler you got from RRE on the lower intercooler pipe. Slide it all the way over onto the plastic pipe so its out of the way when you put the new intercooler on. The intercooler should slider right into place, but there are a few gotchas.

a) The passenger side donut will not be a perfect fit. Don't cry about it, there's pleanty of other support points for the intercooler.

b)The lower support points will not line up at first. put a phillips screw driver through the intercooler bracket and gently pry the core toward the drivers side of the car. Have a friend line up and start the screw on the the passenger side. Once you get one in, the other goes in like butter.

(8) The Upper intercooler pipe won't fit anymore due to the height of the new core. remove it, if you haven't already and replace it with the upper IC section from an evo X donor.

OLD

NEW

(9) At this point, take a few extra minutes to double check all your connections. Once the bumper is back on, you don't want to blow off intercooler pipes because you forgot to tighten something. Once you're happy, replace the bumper in reverse order.

This is a great mod for anyone who's planning to build power in their RA. And if you live in southern California, this is pretty much free power and zero risk of citation.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the write up! This is one of the few modifications I am currently considering, since I am in SoCal, and it fits with my future plans (EVO X conversion).
Old 02-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy View Post
Thanks for the write up! This is one of the few modifications I am currently considering, since I am in SoCal, and it fits with my future plans (EVO X conversion).
You should be able to pick up an EvoX intercooler for around 1-200 with the piping. If you feel the need to upgrade further, you can get an 600HP core for a few hundred more....

The important thing here is that with the correct piping and couplers, you should be able to run nearly any aftermarket core that an evo can run.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:39 PM

SuhhhWEEEET! I 2 plan to do an Evo X conversion and also live in So.Cal. i drive a 2010 GG RA
Old 02-01-2010, 09:12 PM

Awesome write-up. I'll definitely use this later down the road. Thanks!
Old 02-01-2010, 10:40 PM

Thanks a lot Jason, you just made the price of Evo X intercoolers go up , but nice write-up anyway.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:40 AM

Most of the EVO X owners were overpricing their used I/Cs anyway... wanting $300 plus for the stock core and piping. There are fewer RalliArts on the road than EVOs right now (and we can use the same I/Cs as the EVOs do anyway), so I'm not sure why they would charge that much.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:53 PM

Did this install today. Was really easy. Didn't need to get a fancy hose to adapt to the lower I/C piping, as the intercooler that a got still had the stock hose attached to it. It fit perfect. Anyway, thanks again for the write up.
BTW- I picked up the intercooler for $100. I guess I was wrong about the prices going up