ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Tech Articles and HOW-TOs

Old 03-07-2010, 11:29 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Sakura09

It seems that a majority of the EVO IC is blocked by our bumper. Is there a way to push, or vent air to the upper half of the IC so that it doesn't get ambient heatsoak from the rad or engine bay?

Great write up gonna see about this one since my cars are currently in SOCAL atm

2003 WRB RA STI
2009 WW RALLIART
Old 05-31-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura09 View Post
It seems that a majority of the EVO IC is blocked by our bumper. Is there a way to push, or vent air to the upper half of the IC so that it doesn't get ambient heatsoak from the rad or engine bay?

Great write up gonna see about this one since my cars are currently in SOCAL atm
Exactly. That is what I noticed from the pictures. Half of the IC is blocked by the bumper. This could make the Evo X IC as efficient as the RA IC. There is not much of a difference in thickness AFAICT from the pics.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:20 PM

Even with the airflow blocked the larger I/C helps. As a heat sink alone if can help deal with the high heat of the tiny turbo getting wrung out. air will still flow through it some what at speed.

Best obviously is to cut the bumper for some EVO X style holes.

Mike W
Old 05-31-2010, 06:25 PM

good idea.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW-RRE View Post

Mike W
Is this your project RA Mr. Mike... or a customers?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:31 PM

Is our project car. That is my wife (her first time at the track) beating on it at the Redline Time Attack this weekend. I added some tranny cooler action and an engine oil cooler to it and the tranny held up at 260 (Dynapack) WHP all weekend. I drive a bit harder than she does (I hope :-P ) and I beat on it for a full 30 minute session and no tranny overheating. I have enough pics and info now for a bit of a write up. Gotta get a little sleep first. Long weekend.

Mike W
Old 05-31-2010, 09:52 PM

Nice. I'd be interested to hear more about the engine oil cooler. OEM or aftermarket?

I was amazed the RA didn't come with a engine oil cooler nor a power steering cooler line...

- Bryan
Old 05-31-2010, 10:28 PM

HAhaha, no kidding. I knew there was no air/oil cooler. But I figgered at least there would be a water/oil cooler... something...anything. Looked all over the motor the first RalliArt I had up on a lift. Then checked the manual :-P Nothing.

The engine oil cooler is actually pretty simple. I got a decent size one to fit. But you pretty much have the choice to use a tiny cooler, remove the fog light, or relocate the washer bottle. I took out the fog light and used a huge oil cooler.

Then on the motor side of things, the part where the hoses connect is essentially the same part as an X. You take out two block off plugs and use whatever aftermarket ends you would use on an EVO. Then there is also another plug where you need to just put in the X thermostat. That is what makes the oil flow through the housing now correctly to the cooler.

Mike W
Old 05-31-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW-RRE View Post
HAhaha, no kidding. I knew there was no air/oil cooler. But I figgered at least there would be a water/oil cooler... something...anything. Looked all over the motor the first RalliArt I had up on a lift. Then checked the manual :-P Nothing.

The engine oil cooler is actually pretty simple. I got a decent size one to fit. But you pretty much have the choice to use a tiny cooler, remove the fog light, or relocate the washer bottle. I took out the fog light and used a huge oil cooler.

Then on the motor side of things, the part where the hoses connect is essentially the same part as an X. You take out two block off plugs and use whatever aftermarket ends you would use on an EVO. Then there is also another plug where you need to just put in the X thermostat. That is what makes the oil flow through the housing now correctly to the cooler.

Mike W
Oh nice so the oil filter housing is the same as the 10? Just runs the lines, tstat and cooler and same as Evo 10?

- Bryan
Old 06-01-2010, 10:48 AM

You got it! Sometimes Mitsubishi does something smart. Other times.... :-/ not so much (420a NT Eclipses)

Mike W