ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 01-09-2014, 06:55 PM

Default WTB short ram intake system

Shopping around for a short ram intake system. Let me know what you have or if you have any experiences or recommendations.

Thank you in advance!
Old 01-10-2014, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallyrun09 View Post
Shopping around for a short ram intake system. Let me know what you have or if you have any experiences or recommendations.

Thank you in advance!
Unless you are upgrading to bigger Turbo then there is no benefit and you will run into problems trying to tune it which will cost you more money and give you a head ache.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:14 AM

You can pick up an Evo maf intake pipe and a cone filter for less than $80 and make your own.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliArtist View Post
You can pick up an Evo maf intake pipe and a cone filter for less than $80 and make your own.
So I can use the evo x maf as plug and play? Use the elbow from the evo x intake pipe and remove the air box and a fit a cone filter on the end?

Anyone selling the evo x maf and intake?
Old 01-10-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliArtist View Post
Your really not helping this guy by posting this. This has been tried by many people and all it does is cost the person money trying to get it tuned after the install. Which is mandatory or you will risk engine damage and in most cases car will lose power.

You are welcome to try it on your own car and document it and try and disprove what I am telling you, but don't ever give advice to someone if you don't know all the risk involved.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Unless you are upgrading to bigger Turbo then there is no benefit and you will run into problems trying to tune it which will cost you more money and give you a head ache.
What about catback and short ram intake? I was told that this is a good place to start
Old 01-10-2014, 12:59 PM

So if all I am wanting to do is get some kind of cone filter... That would mess up my car? - as of now I have a drop in k&n filter and our cars have this massive box that our maf is apart of.

I basically want to get rid of that box and go to some kind of cone filter system so I can here the blow off (while still keeping the recirculating). I heard through the forums going with a open blow off was bad so the suggestion was to go to an aftermarket intake system that would alleviate the air box. I know that sounds cheesy. But I always liked hearing my old tsi awd talon as I was ripping through the gears...

If I have a Cobb access port and I am getting my cat back installed next week should I still be concerned about getting a tune? Or will the base maps cover me with a short ram intake and cat back exhaust?

Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-10-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallyrun09 View Post
So if all I am wanting to do is get some kind of cone filter... That would mess up my car? - as of now I have a drop in k&n filter and our cars have this massive box that our maf is apart of.

I basically want to get rid of that box and go to some kind of cone filter system so I can here the blow off (while still keeping the recirculating). I heard through the forums going with a open blow off was bad so the suggestion was to go to an aftermarket intake system that would alleviate the air box. I know that sounds cheesy. But I always liked hearing my old tsi awd talon as I was ripping through the gears...

If I have a Cobb access port and I am getting my cat back installed next week should I still be concerned about getting a tune? Or will the base maps cover me with a short ram intake and cat back exhaust?

Thanks for the advice!
LOL that's exactly what i'm planning atm as well, catback, intake and cobb AP v3. I'm still a noob so I'm just listening to advice from others so I'd like to see the feedback here as well

Last edited by Ralliart188; 01-10-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:23 PM

Jackal is 100% correct, you have to understand the reason for an aftermarket intake on a turbo car... The intake feeds the turbo...

With the size of our turbo, anyone who puts on an aftermarket intake is only going to LOSE hp, and have issues with their cars. The ONLY reason to upgrade the intake is for more airflow to feed a larger turbo.

I know of multiple people who have my EXACT mods, but for some dumb reason put on a SRI or after market CAI, and they can not achieve the same awhp #'s I have. With the location of the turbo, our engine bay gets insanely hot, any SRI you put on the car will only suck up all of that hot air. People say it doesn't matter because of the intercooler... they are wrong, the intercooler in circuit cools the condensed air coming from the turbo, so you are still running extremely hot and expanded air into the turbo.

This is a very bad idea... Do not put on an aftermarket CAI or SRI because you want the whoosh sound... if you want it that bad just get a different BPV/BOV.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:25 PM

It's not like on an N/A car where you want high flow intake to feed the engine... the turbo by design is forced induction, so you just have to have a large enough intake for the turbo itself... it has been proven time and time again that our intake exceeds the air flow requirements for the size of our turbo.