ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 06-18-2015, 02:28 PM

Default 2009 RA SST issues opinion needed

Hey guys,

I've delved through this forum and many others in search of an answer, or even an opinion on what is my best course of action going forward. I bought my RA about a year ago and I noticed, especially in the winter months, that my tranny would shift kind of hard. Not really a knocking sound persay, but it feels like it goes into gear a lot harder than it should. It's on gears 1,3 and 5. Once it gets warmed up, it's mostly fine unless I get on it, and then it happens in every gear, which I'm assuming is normal. Also, when it shifts it seems like maybe it slips, or isn't quite getting into gear as quick as it should. I up shift and it revs up about 3-500 rpms before it gets into gear. Not sure if that's normal or not because I don't know anyone else in my area with an SST.

Also, sometimes in 1st gear as I start to give the car some gas, please be aware I NEVER drive in auto mode because I can't stand the way the gears are spun out, it feels like the car is on ice and the tires are slipping. It doesn't do it often, but it's annoying and seems to do it a few times after if it happens at all. Only in first gear though. I had the service done a month or two ago to see if that would help. It seems to be a lot smoother than it was, but still suffers from these problems. I've gotten quite good at keeping the ride real smooth for passengers just by allowing the rpms to drop significantly before shifting but everyone talks about how smooth the shift is.

With all of that information digested, I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or opinions on the matter. Also, if this is as serious of a problem as I hope it's not since the warranty is obviously long gone, what would be options to rectify this? Whether it be, "No you're fine" up to "Buy/rebuild a new one for $18k" Not that I have that kind of cash laying around. Haha.

The car just hit 40kmi by the way. I really appreciate any help or guidance you guys might have. I know a lot of people discuss this, but it's always one bit of my problem or WAY worse than mine. Thanks guys.

-Ben
Old 06-18-2015, 02:45 PM

When is the last time you did a tranny fluid and filter change?
It made a world of difference because mine was over due, all similar symptoms to exactly what you described.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:58 PM
Administrator

+1 on the fluid change. use the OEM fluid though.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:17 PM

About a month or two ago. As I said, it's definitely a bit better than it was but the symptoms still exist.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:37 PM

O.k what did the filter look like when you removed it?
Old 06-19-2015, 04:52 AM

I had the dealer do it because I didn't want the hassle. Still kicking myself, because I didn't get to see how much fluid came out. I provided the fluids and filter and they just did the service. I have no idea. I wasn't even able to pick the car up due to being out of town for work. It was picked up by a friend of mine.