ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 07-14-2011, 10:44 PM

Default Can you turn your steering wheel while at a standstill?

I accidently damaged my 2 curbside Evo X rims while trying to parallel park. It seems like I have absolutely no power steering unless the car is moving at least 5 km/hr. I have damaged cartiledge in my elbow and have thrown out my shoulder a couple times now when I have to do any manouver from a standstill or barely moving.

I am a pretty big guy about 6 ft 1" and about 265 lbs and to have people laugh at me at car shows when I have to basically sit right on top of the steering wheel crankling it like my life depended on it to back into my spot for the car show is embarrassing. I had an old guy tell me gee I thought all new cars nowadays came with power steering. I mentioned it over a year ago to the dealership and I was told that was normal because it's an AWD car.

This can't be normal, If you sit in your car with it running and in neutral or park and simply try turning the wheel can you do it with one arm or do you have to wrestle it with a death grip with 2 arms like I have to?
Old 07-14-2011, 11:01 PM

haha well maybe my cars special but its just as easy to turn my wheel not moving as it is while moving !
Old 07-15-2011, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

I have the same as you Jack, minus the injuries.
My previous car didnt have PS it was taken out to clear the hood because bigger motor in the engine bay. I had plenty of no PS experience.

I dont fight the steering wheel, I shuffle.
Right hand doesnt pass 12 o'clock & 6 o'clock
Left hand doesnt cross over to right side of the wheels & doesnt pass 12 o'clock & 6 o'clock. I find it easier to track wheel angle relative to steering wheel position.

Turning right: (sorry earlier I had auto pilot moment had my left & right wrong)
RIGHT hand pull from 12 to 6 is half turn on the wheel,
LEFT hand from 6 to 12 complete the full rotation
if I need full lock to the right, right hand will repeat 12 to 6.

Arms & elbow to my side relaxed.
I sit closer now, in the beginning I felt cramped but now its more natural.

I dont know the extent of your injuries so let me know how that work out for you.

Last edited by MTZL; 07-15-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:19 AM

+1 on the hand shuffle and not ever crossing hands when turning the wheel.

I take it there are no mechanical issues with your power steering (rack, pump, etc), so that's not a factor.

Maybe some of it is what you are used to from other cars. For 12 years I had a Porsche 928 S4 and it was VERY difficult to park. Poor visability, virtually no power steering assist at low speeds and a steering ratio that only felt right when going over 100kph. It was like parking a school bus. When I first got that car, kids in their little Honda Civics had a chuckle as I would struggle to shoe-horn the thing into a parking spot. Then I got used to man-handling the car when required.

The Ralliart's steering is a joy in comparison. Nicely weighted, and not too much power assist.

Seating position helps as well. I use a track driving position all the time, not just for lapping. It takes some getting used to, but makes wheel control much easier.

http://www.drivingfast.net/track/driving-position.htm
Old 07-15-2011, 09:00 AM

I agree shuffle steer is an awesome thing picked it up from a police tactical driving course but I have to say I've never had to use it while sitting still in my RA. That sounds like some kind of ps damage to me if your fighting just to turn. Actually sounds exactly like something I had happen to me in our uparmored hummvee and it was some kind of power steering issue. And it certainly wasn't anything shuffle steer could help lol. But anyway to put a simple answer to your question....no its not right or ok and yes I can move my wheels/steering wheel 100% both directions no problem and im only 5'10 155 lbs
Old 07-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

^ I agree PS could be the issue. Since Jack underpanel is missing he could've hit PS line or something. Should check for pinch or leak.

or

it could be the injuries that limit his arm & elbow mobility?
Old 07-15-2011, 09:07 AM

i have no problem, then again i sit in a nearly straight racing position and im fairly strong lol.
DW35c Fuel pump
Evo X Turbo,Fmic,DV
FIC 900
Grimmspeed 3port EBCS
UR CBE, UICP, LICP
Old 07-15-2011, 10:16 AM

Mine moves with ease sitting still.

2010 WW Sedan
Custom RRE ABE
Cosworth Drop-in Filter
EvoX FMIC and UICP
ExoX BOV
Old 07-15-2011, 04:14 PM

No maybe I did not explain it properly. The car has been like this since new.

I have driven several older cars years back that were manual steering and used to drive the old 50's and 60's tractors to cut grass in ditches and along highways, I know what manual steering feels like. If my car is not moving at least 5 km/hr I have to physically fight using both arms to turn the wheel. The faster I go the easier it gets but slow parking lot manouvers are really starting to stress my wrists, elbows and now my shoulders. Having to take anti inflamatories and ice my joints because I had to park at Wal Mart is not exactly funny.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Check your PS fluid level. I have never done PS pump pressure check but
here. I think something is wrong with your PS system.

For your wrists, elbow, & shoulder I would get some ancient chinese secret ointment. I used to use it after kicking my own ass.

I think it is called White lotus oil for joint pain.
the other one I used to use was tiger balm.
Dislocated my shoulder when I was a kid fell from second story.